What's new

Opinions on Rockets (1 Viewer)

Tony--C

Auditioning
In my ongoing search for a killer home theater package at my price, I have seen many good comments on Rockets. I've noticed the RS250/150/RSC100 combo for a good price on their website, but choked at the shipping cost. Do they justify a $116 shipping charge? Would another system perform as good at this price point ($700-$900)? I have a decent sub, so I only need the five speakers. Those experienced please help!

Eric C D

Second Unit
Well, looking at the weights of the speakers, there is 113 lbs plus shipping containers. You don't think $1/pound is fair?

Some of the online speaker companies do have free shipping (e.g, Axiom), some don't (e.g., SVS). It's a choice of theirs whether to include the shipping in the original cost or not. Not including it means that those closer to the shipper don't have to pay as much, but it's more accurate.

But I do agree that you should consider the shipping cost as part of the cost to you. Good luck with your choice.

Eric

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Tony,

I don't think that shipping charge is out of hand. You guys in the Lower 48 are lucky as far as I'm concerned. I ordered a Rocket Package 2 and an extra pair of 150's this spring and the shipping was $504. Was it worth it? To me...absolutely! IMHO, even with shipping, I'd have paid far more locally to get a speaker system that approaches their quality. Of course this also depends on what you're looking for in a speakers sonic characteristics. The package sales they're running right now are an absolute steal.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I wonder about shipping costs sometimes. Actually, I don't really wonder anymore. I am sure companies are making money of the fees.

I just shipped a pair of speakers to Las Vegas, two boxes, 38lbs each, UPS ground, each insured for $500, the total was $25. I used my office's UPS account. This was a short distance, I live in the LA area.

I got a pair of speakers from Colorado, and was charged $26 for shipping, the package was about 25lbs...it was also shipped ground, don't remember the shipper or if it was insured. It cost me $9 to ship back uninsured.

If you are in a office that has a shipping department or access to shipping systems from UPS or FedEx, you can get the actual costs for shipping an item.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I think it depends on the company, some add 10% (+/-) to shipping charges, others don't. AV123 has stated many times they only charge what they are charged. I believe them. One thing to consider in my case is that the total weight of my speaker package was 308 lbs, that's not exactly light. Also, most shippers don't have ground shipping to AK so I'm always stuck with air freight. When I did some of my own checking around, every place I checked (except Fed Ex Ground) was quite a bit more expensive, especially UPS. Talk about rape! Fed Ex ground was just a hair more expensive and would've taken a fair bit longer to get here.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Tony.. did you see the Xmas and closeout specials over at AV123 that they put up yesterday? May make your decision much easier.

AllanC

Auditioning
I certainly hope you did, cause the RS250s are back up to $700/pr at av123.com

I hesitated too long. stupid...

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Give Sean a call over there he will make you a deal!! Its year end and they want things to go... I think they just didnt change things on the web site but they have super sales going on right now.. some up to 50% off on some things until they are all sold out.

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis every company gets a different price on shipping costs,depending on how many shipments per week and how far they go.I have worked for FedEx,Purolator Courier,Emery and trucking companies.The size of the box is also a factor in cost when shipped by air.You are charged for area taken up by the box on a plane.Shipping costs are based on size of box,weight,and distance.That shipment of speakers was sent by truck with other shipments to Las Vegas,which is cheaper than flying them to New York.Some companies do inflate shipping and handling charges to offset really low prices.You see this on ebay auctions all the time.Use the UPS calculator tofind shipping charges,have both zip codes(shippers and delivery address)weight and size of boxes

StanG

Grip
Definitely give them a call! These guys will work with you for sure! Regarding shipping cost... I also jumped in and bought 550/150/200 setup + a pair of 150s... Shipping weight came in at 340 lbs!!! Cost? $160 - which I thought was very reasonable... They should be deliveded by Yellow Frieight on Mondey :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Bruce...I totally understand what you are saying, and not argueing with what you are saying.

My company is small and I we ship maybe handful of stuff everyday. I would think not nearly the same amount some of these speaker companies ship.

One thing for sure, I would not believe anyone if they say "I'm charging you what I am being charged" unless I saw the actual bill and line item.

Tony--C

Auditioning
Didn't realize that I'd get such a dialog started. Unfortunately, I did miss the big sale on the RS250's and RCS100. Mike, do you really think they might still be willing to deal? It seems to me that a great way to alienate potential customers is to have sales with no expiration date. And yes Alex, we probably are spoiled. I looked into buying some Dahlquists from Marc in Canada, but the shipping and fees were just too much. Your commments make me appreciate just how much you value your Rockets.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
With the 113 Lbs. of weight, can AV123 even use UPS or FedEx for the shipment? I thought weights of this nature were best handled by a freight company. If this were the case, then I can understand that the rates could be a bit higher. Also, AV123 might be building in some sort of "handling" fee to cover the costs associated with preparing and packing the speakers. If this is the case, I would consider the costs "justified."

I'd rather pay AV123 for the shipping rate they are charging vs. some goof on eBay selling an item that weighs 5 Lbs. and getting $40 to ship it.

Tony--C

Auditioning
I agree about eBay. I buy most of my DVD's there, and some of the shipping charges are just insulting. Of course they don't get my business. Perhaps the costs are justified for the Rockets. It certainly seems like everybody loves them. The other brands I've been looking at in the same price range (Athena, Mordaunt-Short, HTD, Dahlquist) don't seem to have quite the same number of rabid fans. I find the level of knowledge in this forum impressive. Any other brands that I might consider?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Yes... call Sean and see what they have left and see what they will deal on. They are wanting to empty the warehouse for the new year and are doing some fire sales. Visit the av123.com forum and you can get an idea of whats going on. I dont think they could put an end date on the sale as it depends when certain models run out FYI. Good luck... As far as shipping goes I think only the 750's are over the UPS/FedX weight limit. Most items are shipped in seperate boxes to stay under the limits otherwise with the traditional carriers. At least that is would one would think reasonable. I'd much rather spend $140 bucks on shipping on a 2K set of speakers that are probably worth more like 4-5K than the alternative..... Just my 2 cents. Plus if for some reason you dont like them you send them back.. sure its going to cost you a bit but this is something I considered I would be living with for a long time. This is my 4th speakers purchase in the last 10 years.. I have it right this time and had I done it right the first time I would have saved alot of money in the long run.

Tony--C

Auditioning
Thanks Mike. I'm going to call tomorrow. And I totally agree with you about getting it right the first time. That is exactly why I'm spending SO much time and energy researching and questioning everything. I can deal with the extra expense if the product will make me happy for the next 10 years. I've gone mainstream in the past and never quite reached that level. I want it this time, without declaring bankruptcy of course.

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
FedEX freight will take 3-5 days for delivery.Emery will take any size for overnight del.When I worked for Emery I saw 7 race horses shipped overnight to CA. in a special container on a plane.Harleys shipped to Japan and Europe.Remeber when you sign for that delivery if there is any damage to the box,always write on the bill of lading or delivery sheet Box damaged possible inside product damage.That way if it is damaged you can get free return shipping from del company and payment for damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks