What's new

Opinions on Jamo D6SUR, D6CLR and D6SUB (1 Viewer)

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
First, just let me say, I'm new to the forum and I don't know much about AV. I'm just setting up a new 5.1 theater in a space of about 15' x 20'. I'm looking for opinions on these speakers that I can snag for waaay below their original retail price. If were ever good enough to justify their retail price, they should be great... way better than anything I could afford retail.
Has anyone experience with these? What were your impressions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How much below? I quickly searched on the D6SUB and saw that it was on Amazon for $1,700. A 15" sub in an 18" cube won't play that low and the specifications seem to back me up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is NO WAY I'd spend 4 digits on that sub when there is Epik/ED and others on the market.
If I were spending 4 digits on a sub, I'd have a field day browsing the used section on AudiogoN.
Also, that type of surround speaker, unless you are going to place them in the EXACT right spot...don't bother.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The important question is how do the speakers sound to you? Everyone hears things differently, which is why it's most important to audition as many speakers as possible so that you can figure out what works best for you.

Also, it will be most helpful if you can post your budget for speakers. As Robert_J alluded to, depending on how MUCH below retail you're getting these speakers, there may be other options that should be considered.

Finally, I'll add that when it comes to getting a speaker "set" it's critical that the front three speakers be from the same product line, less important for the surrounds to "match" and most of the time, you're doing yourself a disservice if you get a subwoofer from the same company as your main speakers.

There is no reason a subwoofer has to "match" the rest of the speakers, and most speaker manufacturers don't make great subwoofers. You will get a much better value if you opt for a 5.0 speaker set and get your subwoofer elsewhere.

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
Thanks for all the responses!
I completely agree that I need to hear them. I'm heading over to do that in another 3 hours. Believe it or not, my budget for a full 7.1 was only $800. This guy is asking only $650 for all 6 of the matched 5.1 set. It sounds too good to be true, so I'm trying to find reasons why I wouldn't -- assuming they are in good working condition, etc...
I have pre-wires in the wall for L, C, and Right and then 4 in the ceiling for surrounds. I can ceiling mount the surrounds directly over the listening position. I'll leave the rear's out and possibly add another pair later. I may not be able to find any D6's though, so if I do that, it might be a more recent Jamo offering, so the voicing could be tricky.
Anybody have opinions on these specific speakers?

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
I'm not sure what you mean by "won't play that low". Are you saying the sub is too big for my space?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like Jason said, how do the speakers sound to YOU? If I liked the sound, they were under my budget and in good shape then I'd jump on that deal. The sub won't play low enough for me but it gets decent reviews. The rest are THX2 certified so you are meeting some standards in quality.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you saying the sub is too big for my space?
There is no such thing. You can never have too much or too many subs in my opinion.
The specs on the Jamo site say it will play from 28hz to 200hz. I like my subs to play down to 20hz or lower. Plus they don't say if that is the -3db point (OK) or the -10db point (not good at all). Some companies play fast and loose with their published specs hoping that no one will dig deep into them. Also, an 18" cube is extremely small for a 15" sub. For a sub that small to play low, it needs to have massive amounts of power behind it and that sub doesn't. You may like it after you get it in your house. Or you could live with it while you save for a better one. Then sell it and put the proceeds towards a better one.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hmm, I can't find any detailed specifications on the D6 speakers (not the sub, but the rest of the speakers), but I have seen a few posts that suggest they may be 4 ohm speakers.

Definitely check the back of the speaker to see if the speaker impedance is indicated. If the speakers are 6 or 4 ohm models, they will likely require a higher end receiver that is capable of driving them.

Receivers are generally rated to drive 8 ohm speakers. Most receivers can get by driving 6 ohm speakers, but 4 ohm speakers will cause problems.

If you can, make a note of the receiver that he has powering them - make and model. If he's producing nice results with a modest receiver, that's a good indication, but if he's got a top of the line receiver, you may not be able to duplicate the performance when you get them home.

Otherwise, I agree with Robert - if they sound good to you, and they're within budget, go for it.

Edit: The Jamo website lists specs for the D600 series speakers (not D6) but they look very similar and are indeed 4 ohm speakers. FYI

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only receivers "across the board" that can handle 4ohm speakers are Onkyo/Integra(a basic 414 will do it, it won't like it though) and HK(although HK are "long in the tooth").
So, if you pick these up...you sorta limited yourself to what receiver you can buy.
Denon "bargain" models will shut down, so will the Marantz "I'm really a Denon inside" bargain models.

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
I did a search for D6SUR on the Jamo site and indeed these list impedence as 4. My reciever (Yamaha RXV573) is 8 ohms.
So, probably not a good match... bummer!!
I think you probably saved my butt though. Thanks Jason.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before you "give up" on 4ohm with that 573...
My DCM are 6ohm(yeah right...). I used them with an older HTR 5490 and 6080(when I needed HDMI).
Granted, those two were $1000 retail receivers.
I did, however, end up selling the 6080 to buy the Onkyo 707 I have now. The 5490 had been given to a friend long before that when I first purchased the Integra DTR 5.8.
My only knock on Yamaha(although, I do think...if all "speakers are an exact match", there is no better auto-correct than YPAO) is they don't offer multiple crossover points.
Essentially my point is, those speakers are a great bargain(provided there is no "catch").
Try the 573, if it gets "way too hot", you'll notice. Sell it, buy a different receiver.
I haven't purchased a "new" receiver in 18 years. Mine have all been via Ebay/AudiogoN/CL and local want ads.

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
Well, my plan was to go with the Yamaha, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it.
So, now this thread is taking a new turn. Today, if you were looking to spend not more than, say $600 on a 7.1 AV reciever that could handle 4 ohm speakers, what would it be?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Whichever "new" Onkyo fits your price range...or if you can handle a used one from CL or Ebay...anything that fits your price range that ends in an 09, 08, 07 or 06...(IE, 707, 606, 1007, 3009...etc)
However, I'd stay away from a receiver that starts with a 3 or 5 that ends in a 6 or 7(508 is good....507, not so much)
If you don't have/need 3D capability...that opens you up to anything up to 6 years old.
Such as 4ohm capable Denon of yore(789, 790, 3310, 891).
Elite(Pioneers "upper" brand) from 2-6 years ago...
That is, if buying a used receiver under $600, is something you'd go for.
Like the 707 I bought. I wasn't even really looking for a receiver. I was looking at Ebay and on Sunday night, there pops up a 707 with Ipod dock, complete with both manuals, remote and the antennas...and aghast...the ORIGINAL box....for...$300 BIN free shipping.
After a few seconds of thought, bought it(it was a no-brainer). It showed up...I immediately posted the 6080(which I hadn't had 6 months) and sold it for $375.

fulgerite

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
So, I'm thinking there's a pretty good range of choices. I would have to give up AirPlay, but I have an Apple AirPort Express router that does that job just fine!
Maybe the TX-NR709. I've decided to pick up the speakers. The seller is hooking them to the original reciever, so I'll find out how they sound and what's driving them.
Thanks so much for all the help!! I'm so glad I consulted you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks