What's new

Opinions of Sony KP-46WT510? (1 Viewer)

BillMA

Auditioning
I am thinking of picking up this model very soon to dress up our new home. I have read that the 500 model was not so great. Could I get some professional opinions of this model? Thanks in advance

Bill in MA

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I own this set and think it is the best set in it's size . Very easy to get a good picture right out of the box by putting it in Pro mode. I don't know where you heard the 500 was not a good model , it is the editors pick in HD RPTV's at CNET. I bought the 510 over the 500 because I have heard Sony has fixed the flicker issue on the x10 series. The only flaws I can pick with this set are, the top won't hold a deep center channel speaker , the screen protector is too reflective, and it downconverts 720p to 480p. It will accept 1080i and most set top boxes can convert 720p to 1080i so that is no biggie to me. I can't think of any RPTV sets in this price range that do accept 720p native. I compared it to the Hitachi 46" as well as the Toshiba 46". I personally liked the Sony the best.

BillMA

Auditioning
Thanks, Chris. Right now it's still a toss up between the 510 and the Hitachi 46F500. I probably can't really lose with either, I suppose.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Bill
I had the Hitachi as my second choice and the Toshiba as third. Kevin Miller just reviewed the Toshiba at CNET.com and clearly liked the Sony better. I liked the screen protector on the Hitachi, it produced less glare than the Sony, but I couldn't find much feedback on the Hitachi. I also liked the black color of the Hitachi over the Sony's silver. In the end I went with what I thought had the best picture . I also prefered the menus and the remote of the Sony as well as the zoom modes.

BillMA

Auditioning
Chris,
Can you give me a point in the right direction...I want to learn more about signal displays 480,720,1080 etc. I know about the 510's downconversion from 720p to 480p, but the Hitachi lists its displays as user preference 1080i or 520p. I am assuming (just learning here) that 520p is a middle of the road between a 720p display and a 480p display, no? I don't know if this display difference between the 510 and the 46F500 would matter much or not. Being a rookie at this, I guess my untrained eye probably wouldn't know any better.
I had a chance to see the Hitachi 46W500 on display right next to the 510, and to me the Hitachi seemed much crisper in the display of certain things like smaller printing such as a logo or sport's score. Maybe it was just the adjustments on the floor, but the Hitachi just seemed to have a better picture.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Bill
I'm not an expert but most HD RPTV's in the 46wt510's price range will accept 480p or 1080i native. The line doublers in the sets , Sony calls theirs DRC , will upconvert a 480i signal to either 480p or 960i. I don't know where Hitachi is coming up with 520p, unless they are saying their set will upconvert 480i to 520p. I believe the two common HD formats are 720p and 1080i. I know the Sony set downconverts 720p to 480p but I'm pretty sure most sets in this price range due as well. I'ts really no big deal as you need a set top box to receive HD signals and they can upconvert the 720p to 1080i . Only Sony's higher priced sets can accept 720p native. This is my first HD ready set and it's a lot more to them than my old analog set. Right now I'm limited to watching progressive scan dvd's in 480p as well as dishnetwork non HD. I'm planning to switch to Comcast HD as they are just beginning to broadcast HD here in Richmond. I 'd like to see a review of the Hitachi on CNET so I could see how they compare. I also saw them side by side at Circuit City and also thought the Hitachi looked great.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sony KP46WT500, and I very highly recommend this line of televisions. I would caution you against the Hitachi 46F500 if you're considering it along with the Sony. The primary reason is that Hitachi's F500 series is their new "economy" line. The Sony line has a higher build quality and arguably better internal circuitry that to me results in a better viewing experience. Furthermore, there is a vast amount of information available for tuning the Sony via the service menu so you ultimately have more control than you would with the F500.

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks