What's new

opinion on the purchase of a new tv (2 Viewers)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bjballar41 said:
I did see one 4k blu ray last night 179 which I thought wasn't a horrible price for one
That is an upscaling player and not a real blu ray 4K player.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, as i said it upscales 1080p content, that player will not play 4K blu ray discs when they eventually arrive.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
4K playback devices won't hit the market till HDMI 2.0 is finalized. It can't be finalized until the color space is finalized in 4K.

In other words...if we have native 4K(outside the streaming there is now) by summer...I'll be shocked.

All these streaming sources using current HDMI 1.4. What happens when 2.0 finally hits?

All those 1.4 devices are dumbed down to "current color space"...or rendered "gotcha, buy a new one"?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
4K playback devices won't hit the market till HDMI 2.0 is finalized. It can't be finalized until the color space is finalized in 4K.

In other words...if we have native 4K(outside the streaming there is now) by summer...I'll be shocked.

All these streaming sources using current HDMI 1.4. What happens when 2.0 finally hits?

All those 1.4 devices are dumbed down to "current color space"...or rendered "gotcha, buy a new one"?
HDMI 2.0 is good to go and was finalized last September, it's the actual blu ray 4K disc specifications they are still working on.

For the record i do not believe we will get REC 2020, they just cannot do it with current technologies, for exmaple UHP projector bulbs are incapable of reaching that standard and current LCD ( LED backlit etc etc ) cannot do REC 2020, the most we can hope for is an increase of colour bit depth and maybe xvYCC as seen on current Sony mastered in 4K releases.

myjupitermx

Auditioning
Real Name
Jupiter
maybe this post will help you to decided whict TV product do you need.
Samsung UN32EH5300 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz Smart LED HDTV
The picture on this TV is great. Even non HD content looks nice, and HD content is outstanding. I give it three stars because, as of November 2012, the software requires some significant effort to get working completely, and that may not be for everyone.

I bought this model not only for the great picture, but for its ability to connect to services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. They work well, though they are bit slow to launch. Finding content using the remote that comes with this TV is a bit tedious. I recommend using a computer to find what you want to watch on those services, and adding it to your queue. Then you can launch the app on the TV, bring up your queue, and start watching more easily.

The only snag for me in setting up the TV was getting the latest version of the Samsung software. After connecting to internet (which was easy), the TV updated all the software, which took about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, all the required updates were not available to the TV through its online update mechanism, and that caused the Amazon Prime Video software to fail to run. It complained that the Samsung Smart Hub software needed to be updated, but the Smart Hub software reported that there were no updates to be found.

Fortunately, a call to Amazon cleared up the problem. They informed me that Samsung had an update on their website that I could download, load on a USB thumb drive, and install on the TV. Doing that solved the problem. If you have this problem, you can get the latest version of the Samsung firmware from their support pages (sorry, Amazon doesn't allow links to external websites in reviews). Instructions on installing the update from a USB thumb drive are also available there.
w.png

So bottom line, the TV is great. The software is fiddly, and requires some hubbub to get updated properly. If you are willing to work through that, however, the experience of using the TV is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks