What's new

Opie and Anthony Returning to Terrestrial Radio (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well if Robin said it then I stand corrected for anything I said in this thread that defended O&A

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

Yeah this is a big NO. Howard is not spinning anything. Good Luck to O&A and they can see what it's like to have CBS Radio/ Tom Chiasano bleeping them with all of their delays. He wishes them all the luck in the world.

He also mentioned the 90% of his audience not coming over in the EW interview as a joke. Read the interview and you'll see that he was laughing when he said it. Of course he doesn't expect to have everyone come over overnight. But Sirius product is continuing to be a good seller in stores and the sales show that he is bringing people to Sirius in droves. He is making a difference and the word of mouth is spreading.

It's a good move for O&A. But honestly this shows that O&A were unable to draw people in as an exclusive content for XM, otherwise they wouldn't whore out the show to Free FM. I'm sure they will draw people in who are indifferent to what's on their radio in the morning drive, and assume one show is as good as another as long as they don't have to pay for it. But creatively this is a step backward. And this is speaking just as an artist/writer who believes in free speech and is against censorship of any kind more so than it does as a Stern listener. Stern laughs at that deal because of the money he got, but also putting a show he's always wanted to do. You can tell he's genuinely happier and his show reflects that.

The biggest thing this does is put another feather in Howard's cap in his lawsuit. How can CBS go through with their lawsuit claiming Stern drove all of their business and commercials to Sirius when they're bringing in people who 1) they fired 4 years ago. and 2) now bring them back to help promote their show on XM. CBS now has to pay DLR for the remainder of his contract or face a lawsuit from DLR.

Boy, looks like CBS just loves throwing the money around. They're (CBS Radio) such a joke and time will tell what kind of show and response O&A will get in a watered down show (for the most important part of the morning drive--the first half when people are in their cars), and how long of a leash CBS Radio will really give them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
First, forget the spin, the fact is, this is both good news and bad news for all parties involved.

On one level, it provides O&A a platform to continuously promote XM. On the other hand, if CBS likes their program, it is almost a guarantee they have more money and means to try and woo them into an exclusive deal then XM has on hand.

From CBS's perspective the deal is mentally retarded. For the life of me, I can make no sense of it. First, they are buying into a product they know will promote an outside competitor by design. This is basically knowledgeable consent, and the fact that they would give it COMPLETELY undermines the point they make in the lawsuit that they would never, ever allow any personality to promote a competitor.

In other words, I can't figure out CBS's basis. It significantly damages their case against Stern, and since they still have a guaranteed 10 Million, 2 year deal with DLR, they will have to go to court with him if they decide not to pay his $5M a year salary they had agreed to. So, putting aside Stern, O&A, petty beefs, whatever, this just seems like not so good business.

Moreover, while I have not heard O&A's show (and no desire to listen to them or Stern) I cannot believe that it will not have "some" impact on the show format. While digital editing can remove obscenities, what it cannot change is content selection. Under FCC guidelines, content can also create a finable event if deemed in violation of community standards (a good example of this is Bubba the Love Sponge being fined/chased down over killing a pig on the air). While that bit had no profanity, it was the subject matter that caused the fine.

I haven't heard O&A's show, but knowing the FCC guidelines, certain subjects would have to be "off limits" under any CBS contract in order to make sure that CBS doesn't end up with 10 minute long segments of "BLEEP", for which they most certainly will not pay, and which they woudl contractually move to prevent.

Would show selection choices alter the program enough to make fans unhappy? Who knows. But those thinking there will be no changes are kidding themselves.

For XM, though, this could be a win, but it is now also an obligation. XM will now split time with their on-air talent as they go to the main competitor: Terrestrial. XM can benefit from this, as long as they continue to renew contracts with O&A. CBS has to be aware of that little fact. Should CBS like what they are getting, they have the power to simply "outbid" XM, take their talent when their contract comes up in October, and XM is left holding the bag.

XM benefits greatly if they can continue to renew O&A, because it provides them a source of marketing and promotion. But O&A's agent can't be stupid, and will of course be aware that it means XM is now in a position where they MUST pay O&A to stay, or else it is all for not. That gives them a big bargaining chip in next contact talks with XM, and creates a situation where XM will have to debate whether or not they keep fishing or cut bait.

The only big loser in this is obvious: David Lee Roth and others. This adds aditional pressure to other contact talks with talents such as Rover, Adam Corrolla, Penn Jillette, etc. who took over other Stern stations after his abscence and who have also had sucky arbitrons. Realistically, no matter how good the show is or isn't, it takes a long while to build good arbitrons in a market. David Lee Roth's quick departure could be the beginning of a lot of exits and shuffles in the market place.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to think that O&A wouldn't just go to where the bigger paycheck is if it compromises the show that they want to do. They have always sent the message that, to them, money isn't the prime motivating factor in their careers (yes, I know alot of people say that as well, Hoo Hoo). I would find it hard to believe that they would be willing to abandon the freedom of satellite just because CBS might throw more money at them one day. Besides, they already, to quote Anthony "make a good wage"

Maybe the future will tell a different story, but for now I hold faith that the boys know what they are doing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

This is of course, an opinion from a fan.

Opie and Anthony were the obvious choice to replace a failing
morning talk program. Though the boys got into a heap of
trouble a few years back, the reason they were sought above
all others is because they are that talented.

When O&A last appeared on FM radio they were on WNEW
in NYC. Their show was cutting-edge because they constantly
pushed the limits of what sort of obsceneties could be broadcast
on the radio. Of course, it was those obsceneties that helped
change and strengthen the FCC restricted guidelines now in place.

...but that won't stop Opie and Anthony. They'll continue to "test"
the guidelines put in place and that is where their censored
humor will really pay off.

I truly believe that O&A will do extremely well on FM radio. With
Stern's departure there is no-one out there who comes close to
matching their talent. In fact, it was O&A that lured many Stern
fans away from the "King of all Media." You would be surprised how
many of the people that listen to O&A no longer want to listen to
Howard Stern.

This is such a golden opportunity for O&A to grab all of Stern's
listeners who chose not to migrate to Sirius. It's a career-building
move that *could* make them as popular as Stern was on FM.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here's the latest Press Release

Press Release Source: CBS RADIO

Opie & Anthony Return to CBS RADIO Beginning Wednesday, April 26
Monday April 24, 8:15 am ET
Unprecedented Agreement Between CBS RADIO and XM Satellite Radio Provides Opie & Anthony with Dual Platform, Including Exclusive Show on XM

NEW YORK and WASHINGTON, April 24 /PRNewswire/ -- CBS RADIO and XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR - News) today announced an unprecedented agreement that will mark the return of OPIE AND ANTHONY (Gregg "Opie" Hughes and "Anthony" Cumia) to CBS RADIO stations in seven major markets -- New York, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and West Palm Beach -- beginning on Wednesday, April 26.

Under the terms of the agreement, CBS RADIO will broadcast a three-hour version of the popular Opie & Anthony show on their stations from 6:00-9:00AM, ET each weekday morning (3:00-6:00PM, ET in Cleveland). This show will originate from CBS RADIO's WFNY-FM 92.3 FREE FM studio in New York and be simulcast on XM uncensored. Opie and Anthony will continue to broadcast from 9:00-11:00AM, ET exclusively for XM's more than 6.5 million subscribers live from their current XM studio in New York.

Additionally, CBS RADIO stations in New York, Dallas and Philadelphia will stream the three-hour show online at http://www.923freefm.com, http://www.1053freefm.com and http://www.941freefm.com, respectively. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

"With the combination of XM and CBS RADIO, we now have the best gig in the business. The O & A Show is going to be bigger and better than ever," said Gregg "Opie" Hughes.

"We'll now be able to reach millions of new fans and old fans with our new morning show on CBS while offering our loyal XM listeners an uncut show and two extra hours that will only be available on XM," said Anthony Cumia.

"Opie and Anthony have proven their determination to succeed in this business, and have a relationship with their audience that is second to none in the industry," said Joel Hollander, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, CBS RADIO. "CBS RADIO is well known for having among its portfolio some of the best brands in radio, and it's great to have O&A among that stable again. Loyal listeners of O&A have grown accustomed to a show that's real and entertaining. As we move forward, we do so with confidence that this new enterprise will continue in that same spirit."

"XM's agreement with CBS RADIO is a big win for everyone," said Hugh Panero, President and CEO, XM Satellite Radio. "Opie & Anthony will now reach millions of new listeners and will continue to entertain the more than 6.5 million XM subscribers who have made their exclusive show on XM one of our most popular. XM is committed to creating the best content in radio and today's announcement is an example of how we're able to leverage it in a variety of ways that help build our business."

Opie and Anthony will be heard on the following CBS RADIO stations:

New York -- WFNY 92.3

Dallas -- KLLI 105.3

Philadelphia -- WYSP 94.1

Boston -- WBCN 104.1

Pittsburgh -- WRKZ 93.7

Cleveland -- WXRK 92.3

West Palm Beach -- WPBZ 103.1

Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia joined XM Satellite Radio in 2004. Since their satellite radio debut in October 2004, the talk duo have become one of the most popular programs on XM's lineup. Hughes and Cumia first teamed up in 1994 hosting an evening program for WBAB-FM in Long Island, NY. In early 1995, the duo moved to WAAF-FM in Worcester, MA, where they began hosting "Opie and Anthony Show" in the afternoons and became one of the Boston market's most popular radio shows. The team left Boston in 1998 and moved to New York's WNEW-FM, where they became the number one afternoon drive show. Their show was syndicated to 22 markets around the country.

About CBS RADIO

CBS RADIO is one of the largest major-market operators in the United States with stations covering news, alternative rock, country, FM talk, classic rock, oldies, JACK and urban formats, among others. A division of CBS Corporation, CBS RADIO operates 179 radio stations, the majority of which are in the nation's top 50 markets. CBS RADIO also has made aggressive moves to converge new and traditional media through creative programming and advanced delivery methods, including online streaming, HD Radio and podcasting. In May 2005, CBS RADIO launched the world's first podcast programmed radio station, KYOURADIO. Additionally, CBS Radio is home to 29 of the country's leading sports franchises amongst MLB, the NFL, the NBA, the WNBA and the NHL, including the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Chicago Bears and the Detroit Red Wings. For more information on CBS RADIO, please visit http://www.cbsradio.com.

About XM Satellite Radio

XM is America's number one satellite radio service with more than 6.5 million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City, the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Toronto and Montreal, XM's 2006 lineup includes more than 170 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: the most commercial-free music channels, sports, talk, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and the most advanced traffic and weather information.

XM, the leader in satellite-delivered entertainment and data services for the automobile market through partnerships with General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan and Volkswagen/Audi, is available in more than 130 different vehicle models for 2006. XM's industry-leading products are available at consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information about XM hardware, programming and partnerships, please visit http://www.xmradio.com.

Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for XM Satellite Radio's service, the Company's dependence on technology and third party vendors, its potential need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 3-3-06. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: CBS RADIO

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Front page of 92.3 Free FM New York

hottopic_onafreefm.jpg

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
While I think this was a good move for the chain of stations who have signed up for O&A - hell, anything would be an improvement over the status quo - I don't know that I buy the idea that this will expose O&A to a new audience. I live in NY and had the opportunity to listen to them for years and never could last more than a few minutes.

This isn't a slam at O&A - I'm sure others have the same thing to say about Stern - but is more a suggestion that just because Coke is unavailable doesn't mean you start to love Pepsi.

The differences between Stern and O&A are hard to articulate but are genuine. I tend to think who you like hinges on your age - I'm 47 and think that under all the stripper/lesbian antics, there's something genuinely funny in the death struggle between Stern's id and his essentially socially conservative side. By contrast, I've always found O&A to be the obvious shock without any of that subtext. I'm sure O&A fans, who I bet skew younger, find Stern to be a dirty old man past his prime with O&A pushing the envelope to a greater degree.

All of which is to say that while O&A are a clearly better alternative to David Lee Roth, so am I, and I don't know that their availability on free radio will attract those who weren't fans before.

(P.S. - having said all this, and despite being a Stern fan, I'm not a Sirius subscriber and don't see that changing. XM is a far superior music service, and I won't give all that up for the 1/2 hour of Stern I used to be able to squeeze into my work morning. And Imus still sucks.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the most interesting aspect of all of this is that Opie
and Anthony now have a far larger listening audience than
Howard Stern.

Imagine that!

Plus, the XM syndication deal allows CBS to expand its distribution
of O&A in the future.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I believe that their "official hours" end at 11:00am but they will have the ability to go until noon if they choose to, unlike before when XM's "Master Computer" would cut them off at 11:00 no matter what. I figure that if they don't go long, the 11:00 - 12:00 hour will be filled with "Worst of" material which will probably be a lot of old WNEW bits since they now have access to that material.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
they will do very well.i wont be able to hear them since i live on the west coast but the west coast has had them here for years on regular radio there called mark & brian out here and they do very well.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I wish them luck. With CBS's crossmarketing deal, it means that XM listeners will now get to appreciate an additional ten minutes an hour of commercial breaks.

I think this is a fantastic deal for O&A, we'll see about XM. Yes, it will proote XM. But for some, if you can get the milk for free...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WoW!

So cool that the boys are back on FREE radio.

I'm listening to them right now with all the FREE background static.

A great day indeed!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

And now I have something I can listen to when I wake up in the morning and get ready for work. Don't have XM or a computer in my bedroom.

Tim L

Second Unit
I don't have satellite radio (yet) but I remember when O&A were just a couple of local boston DJs here in MA, on WAAF-they were funny as hell (way before all the FCC stuff). Howard was on in the morning BCN ) and O&A were on in the late afternoons-good times. I think I still have their CD that they put out with all their best bits. Oh well, good to hear them again anyway.
Tim

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I actually went into this thinking I was going to hate the new show with all the censorship. I was really angry when I first heard about it. But now I find myself listening to it more than ever. The dual-format has really been a boost to the energy level on the show. I've been a listener all the way back to Oct of 2004 and have never been happier with it.

BTW, when the ratings come out, I guarantee the media spin will be "O&A fail to bring Stern numbers back to CBS" rather than "O&A gives CBS large ratings increase over Roth". I predict their going to do very well, but still nowhere near the numbers Stern was able to pull during his final months. It just isn't possible. O&A were WFNY's best bet to bring quick ratings in without rebuilding from scratch.

Ron, why would you be listening to them on WFNY? Aren't you hearing the dump button quite a bit?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

That was just for the first day that I sampled them on FM.

Add me to the list as another person that loves this dual-show
format. It is working out quite well as XM subscribers get even
MORE hours of O&A listening pleasure than ever before.

A lot of people I work with are hearing O&A for the first time and
liking what they hear. It's a real cut above Roth, and the most
obvious replacement for Stern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks