What's new

"Open Your Eyes"("Vanilla Sky") DVD 8/21 (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Sorry, I didn't know how to make the subject as short as possible and get people to notice this thread.
Just wanted to let people know that the 1997 Spanish picture that starred Penelope Cruz which is being remade by Cameron Crowe as "Vanilla Sky" hits DVD next week from Artisan.
The director is also the director of last weekend's "The Others".
The DVD is 19.99 retail.

AaronJB

Second Unit
It's available to order on Amazon.com and Amazon.com doesn't sell anything besides region 1 except on their foreign sites.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I don't think it is streeting next week, regardless of what Amazon says. This title was just solicited by Artisan last week without, surprisingly, a release date (merely as a Fall 2001 release).
I'm betting that it comes out sometime in November.
-greg

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Aaron, it is indeed up at Amazon and thanks to you my order has been placed! You've made me a very happy man. The only DVD I'd rather have this year is Star Wars! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it does indeed come out in a couple of days.
Pieter
------------------
"Too late, I'm in the 40's, gotta go around the horn... it's faster!"
BoomRoom

Andy Dursin

Auditioning
I ordered one from Deep Discount DVD and received it last Wednesday. Obviously I wasnt expecting it for several weeks but hey, no shipping and got it a week ahead of street date!
Transfer is 16X9, the subtitles are fine, and the only audio track is 2.0 Espanol. No extras aside from the usual cast-crew/production notes, but at the price, it's worth it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy is also listing this on their website as arriving on Tuesday. I guess I'll just have to pick this one up alongside Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs...

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Well... that's what I get for believing Image's solicitation notice. Guess I'll be seeing this sooner, not later.
-greg

Andy Dursin

Auditioning
Bryant,
Afraid 2.0 is all you're going to get
frown.gif

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
The Region 2 DVD was an all-out special edition, with audio commentary (in Spanish) and some other stuff that slips my mind right now. The main problem for North American viewers? It's in PAL. Now if there were only an easy way to sync the sound from the PAL version with the video of the NTSC version ...
If it's anything like Tesis, it's a must-have.
If you ask me, Open Your Eyes is way better than Tesis. It's a real treat.
-bf-
------------------
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
This is my very first post too the forum. And i came across this thread, I went ahead and ordered "Open Your Eyes" from deepdiscountdvd i received a confirmation email that said it would ship by august 21st. This is my first time using deepdiscount do they send a email to confirm your order has shipped ? I also went ahead and ordered Thesis yeah i saw the Others last week and loved it and im very anxious to see these earlier movies of Alejandro Amenábar.
Hopefully they will make it to me for the Weekend :)
prolly not considering i chose the free shipping method but i can always hope

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Mine came yesterday - watched it last night and....
One of the best movies I have ever seen!!! Better than the same directors Thesis.
The print is 1:1.85 enhanced for widescreen, and looks fine. The sound although not the full 5.1 range is very good.
These facts are just the icing on the cake, the film is dazzling, a real head spinner.
No spoilers here, but if you like stuff like Jacobs Ladder and Lost Highway, well, you will be very happy!!!
Rich

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know where to order the R2 Special Edition that someone mentioned here? I'd like to get that version if I can.
Thanks...
Edit: Ok I found a place on the net where you can order the R2 version. It comes with in anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1 and english subtitles. It also includes a commentary by Alejandro Amenábar and a documentary (though they are in Spanish, bummer).
The link is:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Frank L on August 22, 2001 at 05:51 AM]

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
DVDGo (www.dvdgo.com) has the Spanish version, too. This PAL version is a nice disc, but my Apex player distorts the anamorphic image -- thus my desire for an NTSC copy. I saw another NTSC import on the shelf at Kim's Video in Manhattan, but wasn't able to quickly ascertain exactly where it was from. It was $40, so I passed on it, and now I'm glad I did.
-bf-
------------------
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
This is out there, as difficult to find as it is. It seems like no one thinks it has been released. I called two Borders and a Media Play (in addition to my previous search) before finding another Media Play that had it. One place even told me it wasn't available on DVD. It seems that Artisan has put this one out there in a strange way.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection, Another Woman, September, Shadows and Fog, Alice, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Gray's Anatomy
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Well not that anyone cares but the R2 version shipped yesterday via UPS from Spain, should get it within the next 5 days. Hope it was worth all the trouble.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I had this on order with CDNow. They shipped my other 8/21 titles, The Wicker Man and Sullivan's Travels, but not this disc.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks