What's new

Only want CRT tv. Help. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Watch a lot of standard def tv dvd's. Look wretched on my 40" Sony Bravia upconverted.

Do companies such as Sony still manufacture these? Really want a 32" CRT tv if they still exist.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
nope.

if you "think" you really want a crt...

look on craig's list as there are lots of them there.

I just sold my 34xbr960 for $275 last week.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I watch standard DVDs on a 47" screen and they certainly don't look wretched. Have you tried turning off upconversion? Or even better, maybe go with a 760p monitor, so the resolution extrapolation won't be as dramatic for the coverting algorithm.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sounds like you just need a good upscaling dvd player. Regular dvds played on my 61" DLP look great. Most blu ray players do quite a good job at upscaling regular dvds.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where do you live? I know someone who will be selling a 36" HD CRT soon, in the Indianapolis area. :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Something is wrong somewhere. I understand VCR tapes looking "wretched", but not DVD's.

Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Watch a lot of standard def tv dvd's. Look wretched on my 40" Sony Bravia upconverted.

Do companies such as Sony still manufacture these? Really want a 32" CRT tv if they still exist.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe the tv needs to be professionally calibrated, hmm I wonder who could do a service such as this.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Damn! These things really are extinct. Well playing full frame video games(Nintendo 64, SNES original X-Box) via composite cables windowboxed, and looking like crap in the middle of my LCD will have to do I guess. Oh, and one more thing. The black levels on LCD TV's can never, ever come close to what the most basic CRT sets have(had) to offer Never thought I'd miss my 27" Sony Wega. DAMN!!!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
On the plus side, flat screens have no distortion, unlike the pronounced image curvature on the big wegas. I found it more than fair trade off. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
On the plus side, flat screens have no distortion, unlike the pronounced image curvature on the big wegas. I found it more than fair trade off. :)
Yes, but I just wish I had a choice. I understand LCD, and every other type of new tv's are much cheaper to manufacture than CRT. But in my opinion certain types of hardware/software benefit greatly according to the device they are displayed on. Older video game systems with composite cables, non-anamorphic widescreen dvd's are just a couple reasons I still wish CRT's were being made. But trust me, for the life of me I don't miss the weight a larger screen CRT. This is the main reason 90% of the tv sold on E-Bay do not ship. Local pick up only.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see used Sony Wega's for sale on eBay.

You could possibly still find old computer CRT monitors.

I also suggest looking into newer Plasma's if contrast ratios and black levels are a big concern. I'm not up to date, but they were reportedly getting very good and competitive with CRTs the past couple years.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I see used Sony Wega's for sale on eBay. You could possibly still find old computer CRT monitors. I also suggest looking into newer Plasma's if contrast ratios and black levels are a big concern. I'm not up to date, but they were reportedly getting very good and competitive with CRTs the past couple years.
Thanks. Yeah I have heard Plasma set are pretty awesome for the black levels. I just started looking at color CRT security monitors. The majority don't have RCA hookups, but Iread that some do. They are pricey, but may be just the ticket. Also most don't exceed 20". A 20" CRT would do just great.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They've been extinct for years. I just donated my 24" CRT that the kids were using and gave my 34" WEGA to my grandmother. Even projection TVs are all but dead as well. No dobut, CRTs still have probably the best PQ and black levels, but honestly, my current Samsung LCD looks really good, it just doesn't have anywhere near the same black levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks