What's new

Onkyo TXSR805 vs TXSR875 (1 Viewer)

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
So heres the deal. I want to upgrade my current receiver, the TX-SR800. There is nothing wrong with it, I just want to upgrade to better sound and to have all my components going through the HDMI pass through. A couple of questions if you all can help.

First let me give you a run down of my setup.

Mitsu HD1000 projector (720P the next thing to change)
Infinity Interlude series (7.1)
XBOX 360 w/HD DVD - hooked up through component
Playstation 3 - hooked up through HDMI
Comcast HD DVR - through component

Currently I to switch inputs between HDMI and comp on my projector which is a hassle. One reason I want to get the 805. I was looking to get a stand alone HD dvd player with HDMI but now that HD is dead and everyone turning to Blu ray its hard for me to spend the money on that.

So the questions....

1. Is there a big difference in Uncompressed sound vs 5.1 or 7.1? This is probably the main reason i'm thinking of getting the 805.

2. The video pass through the 805 can it up convert to 1080P? or is it 1080i only? When I do eventually upgrade the projector to 1080p will it up convert all non 1080p to 1080p?

3. What are the main differences btwn the 875 and 805? Is it worth it?

I have been a big fan of Onkyo and this is 4 one now. I just want to make sure i get the right now.

Thanks for all your guys input..

Najib

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest difference is the 875's use of the Reon HQV video processor which allows for the 1080p up-conversion from all video sources. The 805 uses the Faroudija DCDi. Also the 875 adds 10 wpc, composite video out for zone two, bridging of the front speakers and VLSC (not really sure what this is). The 875 is $4-500 more. Not sure if it's worth it unless you really want good video up-conversion. The 805 and 875 share the same manual. You can down load it here

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Again, what gene said. The Reon is considered one of the best upconversion chips around and it will convert all sources to 1080p via HDMI.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

:confused:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought composite and S-video could only pass 480i. Not just in these receivers, but in any application.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

He's talking about analog sources into the receiver being converted to HDMI out of the receiver. The 805 scales composite, s-video and component sources (both SD and in the case of component - HD) to 720p output via HDMI.

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the answers. I think I have made up mind. I will probably go with the 805. Its a little easier on the wallet as well.

Thanks again

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for letting us know what you decided on. The best price I've seen from an authorized dealer is here for the silver one. The black one is usually a bit more for some reason. Frys also has it for $699 once in a while, but there's tax to pay and you have to go get it yourself. And remember, the 805 puts out a lot of heat so keep it well ventilated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks