What's new

onkyo Tx sv828THX (1 Viewer)

Real Name
kevin
Hi guys . I am new to the forum and wow ! great site . I need a little help from some of you die hards . My Onkyo receiver is a dinasoar but still has a lot of power and I dont wanna get rid of it . My question is can I update with a pre amp to bring the beast up to date . There are no hdmi inputs with this old girl and is not compatible with my hdmi plasma . I can answer any questions you may need to know .
Thanks in advance
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Real Name
kevin
Ok , I will try and make this question a little easier . This reciever was designed for an additional amp using a 25 pin conector such as used on a computer printer . The additonal amp designed by Onkyo supplied the output with AK3 . The problem is that the pre amp is no longer avail through onkyo . Are there any other pre amps that use the 25 pin conector ?

JohnW

Stunt Coordinator
I think you might be able to find an adaptor to connect DB25 to 6 RCA connectors. Google on "DB25 to 6 RCA". Then you should be able to connect your Onkyo to any pre-amp or receiver with 5.1 preout.
Actually Onkyo sells one with 8 RCA outputs. You can probably just ignore the 2 channels not used by your 828.
Shop Onkyo

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I owned one many moons ago in the bedroom system. Nice well built rec'r. The guy I sold it to is still using it along with the custom made DB25 to 6 RCA cable I sold it with. You can also just run HDMI direct to your TV and get a DB25 to 6 RCA cable along with a player that has RCA outs.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ballbreaker,

HDMI is irrelevant. If you want 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS sound out of your 828 from multiple sources (HDTV, DVD, etc.) you need an external decoder. The 828 was designed to work with an Onkyo decoder, but will work with any external decoder. Look on Ebay for "Dolby Digital Decoder" or look here an at Audiogon. Unless you get lucky and find the original Onkyo decoder or a Rotel decoder you'll probably need the break-out cable John W links to above. Onkyo and Rotel are the only companies that I know of that used the 25-pin connector on their gear.

If you only care about 5.1 sound from DVDs you can plug a DVD player with an internal decoder directly into your Onkyo using the break-out cable. Look for SACD or DVD-Audio compatible DVD players.

The 828 is quite a beast, if you can get a decoder it will be sufficient for creating great sound!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Many DVD players have the decoders built in. The new (80G) PS3 (due in June) will have analog outs (and do SACD) so you can even get a RCA to DB25 adapter for something like that and use it's HDMI just for video. Technics I believe also had an outboard (DD) decoder and I've seen used ones for sale that won't break the bank.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
And, yes, you can add a pre amp-- since the Onkyo has a full set of AMP-IN/PRE-OUT jumpers. Not sure it's that cost effective, though.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Onkyo TX-SV828THX
Price ($USD):1000
Audio Inputs:
6ch:1
Phono:1
Digital Coax:0
Digital Optical:0
Video Inputs:
Composite:4
S-Video:4
Component:0
Audio Outputs: Preamp 6 Channel
Amplifier: Power (Main Speakers):90 Watts, Power (Surround Speakers):50 Watts (1KHz @ 8 Ohms)
Amplifier: Power (Stereo): 100 Watts per channel (20Hz - 20KHz at @ Ohms)
THD 0.03%
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 30KHz +/-0.5 db
Weight: 33lbs (15kg)
You could hook up a preamp but the question I have for you is should you? There are not alot of pre/pros will all the bells and whistles on them at this point in time. There are a number of receivers though that have all the new toys on them. IMHO receivers do not make good power amps. And when I say that I do not think its a great idea to hook up a preamp to one and treat it as a power amp.
I am in the middle of researching a new reciever to take the place of my current Yamaha RX-V995. At first I was going to not upgrade but realized that I has hanging on to something that was not going to do what I needed it to do. I could jury rig it but was that what I really wanted to acomplish, and the question is that what you really want to do?
I would highly suggest that you intead purchase a new reciever that has all the new decoding and connections. If you are a fan of Onkyo you could update your Onkyo TX-SV828THX to a Onkyo TX-SR805. And you could always move the Onkyo TX-SV828THX to another room and continue to use it. This IMHO is a win win! ;)
The D/A Converters, Video Switching, Surround Sound Decoding, Amplifier Section, Ect.... with the 805 are going to be superior to your 828. The prices are MSRP from Onkyo's web site, you can buy these cheaper online at Amazon and JR. I hear you can get the 805 for around $680. Now there is some debate if these two actually up-convert to 1080p or just to 720p? But it is supposed to send 1080p as 1080p.
Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 Receiver MSRP $899
THX ultra2 certified
HDMI V1.3 repeater (3in/1out, 1080p compatible)
HDMI video up-conversion with DCDi technology
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding
100 w/ch x 7 ch (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.08%)
Amplifier Frequency Response: 5Hz-100kHz
High Instantaneous Current Capability: 36 Amps
HDMI Bandwidth 1080p
HDMI Deep Color Capable (36bit)
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX) 3 / 2
Digital Audio OUT (OPT/COAX) 1 / 0
Composite I/O 5 / 1
S-Video I/O 5 / 1
Component Video / Bandwidth 3 / 1 / 50MHz
HDMI I/O 3 / 1
Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic.
htf_imgcache_29163.gif
(AudysseY MultEQ XT)
Warranty 2 YEARS
Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 Receiver MSRP $1099
THX ultra2 certified
HDMI V1.3 repeater (3in/1out, 1080p compatible), w/HDMI video up-conversion
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding
Top line of Burr-Brown DACs for clean sound
130W/Ch x 7 ch (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%)
Continuous 6ohms Rated
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Certified 4ohms performance
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

High Instantaneous Current Capability 60 Amps
Amplifier Frequency Response 5Hz-100kHz
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110dB
Dual PUSH-PULL Design
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

DOLBY Decoder DD Plus, TrueHD
DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio
192K/24 Bit DACs
htf_imgcache_29163.gif
(Burr Brown)
DSP Type / QTY 32 BIT / 3
Adjustable Crossover 40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200Hz
AV Sync
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX) 3 / 3
Digital Audio OUT (OPT/COAX) 1 / 0
Composite I/O 6 / 1
S-Video I/O 6 / 1
Component Video / Bandwidth 3 / 1 / 100MHz
HDMI I/O 3 / 1
Component Video Upconversion
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Analog to HDMI Upconversion
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

1080i Upscaling no
1080p Upscaling no
Multi-Channel Input 7.1
Surround Pre-Outs 7.1
Powered Zone2
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Zone 2 Line Out
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Zone 3 Line Out
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

iPod Ready
htf_imgcache_29163.gif
(DS-A2x, DS-A2, DS-A1)
XM Radio Ready
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

SIRIUS Radio Ready
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Pre-Pro/Learning Remote
htf_imgcache_29163.gif
/
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic.
htf_imgcache_29163.gif
(Audyssey MultEQ XT)
Input Name Edit
htf_imgcache_29163.gif

Warranty 2 YEARS
I would also recomend looking at a Denon AVR-3808ci if your budget permits. Another one to consider if budget permits is the Onkyo TX-NR905. Sorry I did not put all the info but I am trying to keep this responce from gettting out of control. ;) Some are very happy with the Pioneer Elite receivers as well but I personally will most likely stick with the choices of Denon, Onkyo and Integra. I hope this helps in some way?
But I would suggest to go and check out the following brands for yourself and listen to them.
Denon
Yamaha
Marantz
Onkyo
Integra
Pioneer Elite

Real Name
kevin
great replies guyz ! Now that I have some great info , I will do some researching to determine the best way to go . Looks like I am going for a newer receiver to satisfy my needs at this point .Thanks to you all for the excellent help .

SuperKirby

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Nguyen
Hi guys, I am looking to sell my Onkyo TX-SV828THX but I have no idea what its worth as of today (March 2013). Anyone have a clue? TIA

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only saving grace to those is they have main-out/main-in (might be labeled pre)... You'd be lucky to get $100. Keep it and use it as a 5 channel amp, or as a Zone 2/3 amp by using the main/pre.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I "donated" mine to Best Buy a couple of years ago. As Sam suggested, the only aspect of that box that has any utility these days are MAYBE the amplifiers. Absolutely NOTHING on the audio or video side of the 828's capabilities are even worth having these days. Even having said that, unless you happen to find a buyer like Sam who understands how it can be used, I think you'll be hard pressed to get much more than $20 at a yard sale for it.

Bob Clark

Auditioning
Real Name
bob clark
One on Craigslist today in Okla City for $30. I picked up a sv515 today at Goodwill for $25. Would there be any benefit of using the 828 as a preamp?. Only the 828 has the preout, but is there any advantage to using the 515 for main for sound quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bob Clark said:
One on Craigslist today in Okla City for $30. I picked up a sv515 today at Goodwill for $25. Would there be any benefit of using the 828 as a preamp?. Only the 828 has the preout, but is there any advantage to using the 515 for main for sound quality?
I would imagine the 828 has more beef than a 515.

Bob Clark

Auditioning
Real Name
bob clark
That is correct, and there are no pre-outs on the 515, so someone else will get a good deal on the 828 since there are no advantages for me to get more power from either on a pre-amp level, although I could use one for the rear speakers on the 515 via the 828 pre-out and use the 828 as the main amp on the two front, center, and a sub woofer for full surround. Would that work and be of any advantage to just going it alone with either amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks