What's new

Onkyo TX-SR876, Upcoming Onkyo Models, Pioneer SC-05 or SC-07, Denon AVR-3310CI Which One? (1 Viewer)

Sosa

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Marks
I bought a used Samsung HLT6187SX/XAA DLP HDTV 3 weeks ago and my components are a Comcast Motorola DCH3416 Cable Box (HDMI), Xbox 360 (HD Component Wires With Optical Audio because I don't have a HDMI port) Soon to have PS3 (HDMI), Samsung DVD1080P8 upscaling Dvd player (HDMI) and a Logitech Harmony One universal remote.

I just bought the Mirage Omni speaker package consisting of a pair of 550 CH front tower speakers, C150 center channel speaker, pair 150C Bookshelf's rear speakers & a used Klipsch SUB-12 Subwoofer.

Here is the link for the speakers I bought, the package is $499.00 on the lower right hand side & also the link for the Sub so you know all the specs on the stuff I bought.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542947882/mirage-omni-150c

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549499974/klipsch-sub12

I was looking at the TX-SR876 Refurb for $939.00 shipped or the Pioneer SC-05 Refurb $689.00 Shipped Or the SC-07 New for $779.00 Shipped or the Denon AVR-3310CI New for $1,088 Shipped.

I was wondering if I should wait for the new Onkyo's to come out and see if there better quality with more features catered to high def applications & if the starting price is some what comparable to the receivers I mentioned now that sales are slow?

I'm leaning toward the 876 because of the Audyssey & the HQV Reon-VX video processing and heard this unit is just a beast but runs hot.

The advantages of the Pioneer are the Ice Amps & true amp power ratings and I heard with the Omnipolar speakers I bought the MCACC works better then the Audyssey but I don't know if that is true or not and I also heard Pioneer Elite's just sound alot better then Denon's & Onkyo's but that could just be a fanboy perspective. Disadvantage is the Pioneer's don't upconvert video.

The Denon AVR-3310CI is a quality unit, sort of under powered from most reviews I read,runs at a decent temperature, full color GUI, Audyssey.

I usually buy HTIB and I'm pretty knowledgeable with video but with audio I can connect it and get it working properly but I have no idea how to calibrate it right and I have a Samsung AS720ST HTIB on my other TV that I never touched the calibration on and it sounds good but I think if it was tweaked it would sound a lot better. Just telling you this so you know I'm no expert on audio but I'm learning with this purchase.

I like my audio to sound good during loud action scenes but to still be able to hear the persons voice with out blasting the volume and I heard that the stronger the amps are in the receiver the better & THX Loudness Plus is the way to go.

So I'm on the fence now, wait for new Onkyo's or 876 or Pioneer 05,07 or Denon 3310?

Edited by Sosa - 8/4/2009 at 08:53 pm GMT

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd go ahead with the Onkyo 876. When the new Onkyos come out, they'll be more expensive, although will probably still be a good price, for what you get (Onkyos are known for bang for the buck). The Audyssey works very well, but I can't comment on the HQV Reon chip, since mine doesn't have it.

As long as you don't close in the Onkyo, you shouldn't have a problem with heat. My 805 is on a tv stand shelf, and heat isn't a problem. I think most people that have the heat problems, either close it in an entertainment center, or sets another piece of equipment on top of it, which blocks the air vents. If circumstances demands it be closed in, you can get one of those laptop cooling devices, and use it with the receiver. People have said that it works well.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I've been nothing but happy with my 876. Onkyo has not even anounced it's replacement yet, so it will be months down the road. Mine is in an open shelf and I have never had the fans kick on. If you decide to go with the Onkyo, I would call a couple of the authorized dealers for their best price. I got mine for just a few dollars more than the refurb price, brand new with the 2 yr warranty. I'd make a couple calls before pulling the trigger.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Is the price a lot better than this one? This is a new one for $996 (right now), but price may change anytime. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR876-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPDG/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1249416803&sr=1-37

BTW............
Neither link works, in your original post.

Sosa

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Marks
Thanks Ed for the Amazon update, had it as a saved link but since they don't show the price till you put it in the cart and I've been getting $1,600 lately I stopped checking but I just jumped on the deal.

They were on a price mistake a few weeks ago on Amazon for $746.00 shipped but not all of the people who ordered got one and I hope that don't get that low any time soon.

My DLP stand is all open shelves, so I will be cool with the heat then.

I fixed the links on the original post.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Glad that was a good enough deal, for you to jump on.
I got my 805 from them. It took about a week, with the free ground shipping they had. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread