What's new

Onkyo TX-SR805 vs Pioneer VSX-92TXH (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Both have:

-130w/ ch (but whos amps sound better?)
-HDMI 1.3a (3 in 1 out)
-DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD
-Faroudj DCDi

Differences Questions:
-Audyssey MultEQ XT vs Advanced MCACC
(doesn't pioneer only support 60Hz and up for no sub calibration? Whos EQ mode is better?)

-THX Ultra vs THX Select 2
(Which one is better and why?)

-HDMI Deep Color 36 bit (does pioneer have it?)

Price:
$999 Onkyo $1300 Pioneer (what are we paying an extra 300 bucks for here?)

Anything I am missing in the above summary?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure both are THX Select 2, not THX Ultra or Ultra 2. That said, I'd say a good part of what you're paying for with the Elite is the name and a slight step up in build quality. As far as the room-correction and calibration, from my limited experience w/ Audyssey it seems to be (depending on version) a bit more robust than Auto-MCACC, especially in terms of sub EQ (Auto-MCACC goes down to 40hz). In terms of HDMI Deep Color, if the video source is deep color and the display is capable the Pioneer (or any other HDMI 1.3 receiver) should be able to pass it. Feature, spec, and sound quality wise I'd say they're EXTREMELY close, to the point that it's likely minor features, ergonomics, and personal preference that will make one or the other a slightly better pick for you.

I'm currently an 82TXs owner and love it... that said, it was a gift (actually a Yamaha RX-V1700 was, but I exchanged it)... and had I myself been buying at the time I likely would have bought the SR804 instead because it's an extremely good value. The Onkyo will also likely be able to be found further below MSRP and lower-sooner compared to the Elite. If I were buying now I'd likely go with either the SR705 or SR805.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
How does the Sub EQ work on a Onkyo AVR. I already have a BFD EQing my SVS right now. Does it work hand and hand, or is it one or the other?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like the SR805 is a pretty big step-up in terms of build compared to the SR804... but at the same MSRP... I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I beleive this is the least expensive unit ever to have Ultra 2, correct?

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
Stephen, I believe you are correct with the price point. I think Onkyo may be out to prove something with their new line-up....a ton of features for very very reasonable pricing....it will be interesting to see how the sound quality of these units are compared to some of its competition.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If it's indeed 50lb and THX Ultra 2 I think it's more than features they're trying to prove themselves with... it's amplification beef and build quality too!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I'd love to buy the Pioneer as soon as it is available. I just got about $2000 US to spend on a new AV Receiver with HDMI 1.3 or better. However, nobody is selling these poppies yet. By the way, I am also in the market for a new 40 inch HDTV LCD with HDMI 1.3, but nobody is selling them either. For what I have read, I may have to wait until Christmas or past Christmas before these new electronics are widely available. Besides, I don't want to be the first one to buy into these new technologies.

Regards,
orestes

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I see even less advantage to having an HDMI 1.3 display than having an HDMI 1.3 receiver... once the audio is extracted it's just video and HDMI 1.1 supports all the way up to 1080p... Deep Color is the only advantage I can see, if that even turns out to be a visible one.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Sthephen, I agree with what you said, but I wish these HDMI versioning were upgradable via firmware so that one's equipment will not get obsolete a few months later after one buys them. From the start (DVI and now HDMI), all sounded like a big corporate plot to suck more money out of us, the consumer--shouldn't I have said, "to suck more blood out of us"?

In fact, as I am getting a bit older these days, I think this purchase will be my last unless the TV or AV receiver breaks before I do.

lol,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks