What's new

Onkyo TX-SR706 won't detect my subwoofer (1 Viewer)

BAMFstang

Auditioning
Real Name
John
OK strange problem I hope someone can offer some advice.

I recently upgraded my receiver to the model mentioned in the title.

Everything works great except it doesn't feed any audio to my sub.

I've tried using the audyssey setup and after completing it says no sub.

I've tried manually setting up my speakers and telling it I have a sub and still no sound from it whatsoever.

It is a powered sub hooked up to the correct input on the receiver. The sub worked fine on my previous Onkyo receiver but now I can get nothing from it.

Sub seems to be fine, it gets power just no sound at all. I am driving myself crazy trying to troubleshoot it and nothing seems to work.

I am considering buying another sub and seeing if it works to determine whether the receiver may have a problem.

Anyone have any ideas that may help me to resolve this problem???

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Just to double check that you haven't made a very common mistake..........
You're plugged into the "sub" of the "Pre-Out" section, and not the "sub" of the DVD (Multi-Channel) section?

BAMFstang

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Yeah I double and triple checked that to be sure. I paid special attention to the manual when hooking it up because it shows clearly which one to plug it into.

I won't have time till tomorrow to really dive in and try to figure it out but anything else offered to help would be greatly appreciated.

Brent_S

Second Unit
What sub? Does it have an auto-on feature? If so, set it to always on and retry. The auto sensor needs to see a certain voltage before it wakes up and the calibration tone may not be sending enough? Where do you have the gain set on the sub...turning this up sometimes makes auto sensors more sensitive?

Have you checked the cable? In the process of swapping receivers, you may have damaged the sub cable. If it's like my RS cables, the RCA's cover will actually unthread from the plug end which would break the connection.

-Brent

BAMFstang

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Problem solved!

Apparently my sub just died on me. It was getting power and the fuse was good but something else failed internally.

I went and bought a new sub since I had eliminated everything else I could think of.

Plugged the new one in and it worked perfectly.

The one I had was 10 years old so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks