What's new

Onkyo TX-NR626 TX-NR727 Differences (1 Viewer)

2WYCE

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Hello, I plan on getting either a 626 or 727. I pretty much had my mind made up on the 727 after a week of research. I never buy anything when I FIRST make up my mind just in case I can save money on a better price or a different choice, or decide not to get it at all.

Okay, I know anything will be better than my current old-old-school Onkyo HTIB receiver that doesn't even have HDMI ports. I've revisited my research today and looked at the 626 one more time in an attempt to see if I really needed the 727 or if I would be just as happy with the 626, plus $200 in my pocket. Would it be correct to say the only differences between them is that the 727 has:

-15 watts more power (always nice for man-points but probably don't need it in a small 20x12 room)
-2 more HDMI inputs including one on the front (would be nice to have a couple extra and one on the front, but not $200 nice)
-THX certification (don't care)
-3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry on all channels vs on LCR channels on 626 (not an "audiophile" but I am pretty picky with sound quality, most importantly its clarity)

Those are the only differences I can find. I need help on the last difference. Other than a quick 5 minute google, I don't know what 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry means or if I would even notice sonically. Or if I would think it's worth $200. Based on your experience, does anyone know how big of a difference that would make in a 20x12 room?

If anyone knows any other differences, or has any opinions, please let me know.

If these are the only differences, then I will definitely go with the 626 and put that extra $200 toward getting my new speakers faster!

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
-15 watts more power (always nice for man-points but probably don't need it in a small 20x12 room)
Essentially irrelevent. The real difference is the 6.3 vs 6.9 amps they chew off the wall...
Quick math....multiplying by 120(to get watts)...removing 120w(for the video section)...then taking 50% away(parasitic/heat loss) and dividing by 5 you get....
64x5 with the 626
71x5 with the 727
Essentially meaningless difference on 5. On 7 the numbers are...46 and 51. Again basically meaningless...most movies you'll only run up the chart to 20x5/7.
-2 more HDMI inputs including one on the front (would be nice to have a couple extra and one on the front, but not $200 nice)
I use the front one constantly for an Ipad(with the Apple AV Adapter. It is how I do Netflix/Hulu etc)
-THX certification (don't care)
Not alone, but if you listen to surround music, at all, THX music is great for music with lots of midbass
-3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry on all channels vs on LCR channels on 626 (not an "audiophile" but I am pretty picky with sound quality, most importantly its clarity)
3-stage means it is quieter. Can you tell the difference between a 2-stage and 3-stage...only you'd know if you had them side-by-side.

2WYCE

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Thanks for the math, that helps make it more understandable and confirms that it doesn't matter.

Good point on the front HDMI. However, I use permanetly connected devices (HTPC, GTV, TV, etc) to view Netflix/youtube/etc. If I do find I constantly need a front input, I don't mind attaching a HDMI extension cable from the back of the receiver and stick it somewhere convenient since it will be in a media closet and not look bootleg.

Note taken on the THX and surround music. That may be something to consider.

That's what I figured for the 3 stage. I'd never know the difference if I don't have both to compare. Also, from what I've learned so far, the LCR channels are the most important, which do have the 3 stage on the 626. I would guess that would make it even less of an issue.

Thanks again and if anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks