What's new

Onkyo SKSHT500 Speaker Interference Anyone? (1 Viewer)

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone help?

I own the Onkyo SKSHT500 speaker set.
For 10 months now, I've had no interference
with the tv screen.

This morning, I finally see color distortion
in the upper right corner and right side.

In the blue scree, it is bright green.
It appears while watching movies and tv shows.

I didn't think there were interference problems
with the Onkyo speakers.
Should I contact Onkyo for the warranty?

Or should I replace the speakers?

Is the tv damaged permanently?

Please help if possible.
Is Bob still here???
Thanks,
Dave

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you should mention that, I've had the same problem with mine. I've got the center sitting on my sony 36hs500, and one day I noticed some discoloration. I've had mine for probably 3 months, and that was the first time I had noticed anything. I moved it around and it eventually disappeared.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeremy,
The discoloration didn't occur again on your set?

I spoke to an authorized service dealer for Onkyo in NYC... they recommend that I contact Onkyo (they were closed today at 5pm).

If Onkyo suggest repair service... then I have to drag my entire set to the service dealer, which isn't exactly my idea of fun.
I'm concerned that the speakers could come back with more problems than they have now.

I feel that it is not worth the hassle, considering that I could try and shield the bottom of the center channel speaker???

Thanks,
Dave

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Move the speakers farther away immediately for now. Are you sure they are shielded?

My own experiences with magnetically induced chroma distortion on TV screens are not encouraging. In my case, two perfectly good Sony TVs were ruined.

Not necessarily the case with you, but be careful.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, it is gone now, looks fine.

I'd say just slide it back a little bit. They are supposed to be shielded, but evidently not very well. My discoloration came out of nowhere, and just left after I played around with it a bit. Strange.

I don't know much about this problem, and how or why it goes away. Maybe moving the speaker back will work for you.

I agree that bringing in your speakers would not be fun, but maybe they will decide that they aren't shielded enough and do something about it.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to a rep at Onkyo today.... I had asked if any customer had reported an interference problem with the speakers from the SKSHT500 set.

She said no.
For some reason, I do not believe that I could be the first and only customer to call and report this interference?

Onkyo claims the speakers are well shielded.

My concern with taking the speakers into service, is that they will come back with more problems... or waste my time all together.

I will try Jack's suggestion to move it back further.
I would not want to ruin my tv set... although it is due for replacement. :D

Thanks guys.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks