1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

ONKYO S590- humming noise only during surround sound

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by johnHW, Jul 1, 2006.

1. johnHW

johnHW Auditioning

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I'm not a 100% this is where I am suppose to post about this topic but i'm having some sound problems. I just purchased an onkyo s590. when i turn on the surround sound i get this very annoying humming noise. If i turn it back to stereo the noise is gone. I unplugged all the electronics one by one and it only disappears when the electronic from where the sound is coming from is unplugged (either the dvd or the cable box). I am using a optical cable from dayton. i am changed the orginal wires to 16 gauge wires from radio shack. all the wires are plugged into the spring clamps.

can anyone help?!

2. johnHW

johnHW Auditioning

ok.. so i unplugges all the speakers and it seems to only happen when the center speaker is plugged in. i tried to change the wires as well as move it to a different location. as long as it is plugged in it makes the noise. can anyone help?

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

JohnHW,

That is indeed odd. I can't say I've ever heard of the center channel being the culprit. I'm not sure how it can be... Are you sure the wires are connected in such a way that they don't touch other bare speaker wires (at the terminals)? Does the center channel's wiring have a run that avoids excessive contact with electronic devices (I'm grasping at straws here). And, let's go for the usual culprit, have you tried unplugging (connections and power) the cable box?

-Robb

4. Bill_Br

Bill_Br Agent

John,

I purchased an HT-S590 a few days ago and have been having the exact same problem as you. I am also using a heavier-gauge wire, and the hum stops when I disconnect the center speaker.

On another audio forum where people have reported the same problem, I learned two things: First, some users started having the problem AFTER they switched from the supplied speaker wires to heavier gauge ones. I had the problem from the start because I used heavier wire from the beginning. I haven't tried switching to the supplied wire.

Secondly, a couple of people wrote that the hum goes away if you loosen a turn or two the two screws on the back of the receiver where the speaker push terminals are. I know a suggestion like that sounds like I have a loose screw, but I tried it and, by golly, it works.

Because Circuit City says that they are willing to swap out my unit for a new one, I'm going to do that, because even though the hum went away after I loosened the screws, the sound doesn't seem quite as crisp as it is when the unit is set on "Stereo."

Good luck,
    Bill

5. PhilMays

PhilMays Stunt Coordinator

I had a very similar problem that manifested through the center speaker. My problem is in the TV ground. If I move the center wire further from the TV the hum is reduced. Likewise, if I move the TV further out from the wall the humm reduces. I just purchased a Belkin Power Conditioner that helped some as well.

For reference, I am using a Yamaha RX-Z1, Klipsch RC-7, Biwired with Kimber TC 8 cable, and a Pioneer RPTV.

I hope this helps you some...it's very annoying

Phil

6. Bill_Br

Bill_Br Agent

Following up on my previous msg ("I purchased an HT-S590 a few days ago...."), Circuit city replaced my HT-S590 with a new unit, and that seems to have solved the humming problem. So, it's not an issue with every unit.

Bill