What's new

Onkyo receiver help (1 Viewer)

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Just bought a used Onkyo TX-SR805. I have a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 tower speakers. I bought the receiver because I wanted more power for the big Klipschs. This receiver is rated 130 watts continuous,8 ohm from 20Hz to 20kHz with a THD of 0.05. Somehow I can't get these to crank. I figured with this receiver I wouldn't be able to get past half volume. Instead I go max volume and get loud, but not earthshaking you would expect from 130 watts. Any ideas?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and a constructive, helpful response might be...

According to Klipsch, those speakers are 98dB efficient, which means they need incredibly little power to play VERY loud. So, something is not right. The receiver might be damaged, but it's probably more likely it's something else. There are so many things it could be. The receiver might have the channel levels set very low. Your source might have very low output, like possibly an iPod with the volume turned down. That is only one of many possible causes, but if the receiver isn't damaged, it has much more power than you could ever use with those speakers.

You need to provide more info on what you are playing and how you are playing it for us to help.

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thanks JohnJust joined and read some of Sams replies. I think he is angry at someone or something,But I digress, I have only used the FM tuner portion of the stereo. Was kinda hoping this was a common issue someone has had with maybe a couple setting adjustments to fix. If you have a few, I'm all un-deaf ears, thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here is a link to the owner's manual. The first thing I would do is find the procedure to do a factory reset. That changes all adjustments to the default settings. Let's hope that takes care of it, because nothing in particular is coming to mind. It would help if you have another source to connect. A CD player would be great.

Then you need to familiarize yourself with the receiver. Modern surround receivers are rather complicated.

EDIT: this may be the reset procedure...

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults,turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR]button, press the [Standby/On] button. “Clear” willappear on the display and the AV receiver willenter Standby mode.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One other thought. Are you sure you are turning the volume up all the way? Modern receiver volume controls take several revolutions to get to full volume. You shouldn't need anywhere near that, though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No not mad at someone. This started out like the "Hey what's wrong with my Yammy" thread.What is the current AVR setup? Full range front? Set small with a crossover?Did you get the remote?

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hey guysJust finished work, on the road in a hotel so I won't be able to mess with receiver.Just to answer a few of your questions, all I have hooked up are my speakers,set to large full range front. I'm using my remote to adjust volume all the way up to where it says maxVolume. No distortion at max,but definitely not 130 watts coming out. When I get home, I'm gonna try the reset procedure. Will let you know, thanks again.

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
System reset worked! I appreciate your CONSTRUCTIVE input John. Not sure how a 130 watt receiver can be de-rated, but I'm glad I have the power back! See Sam, I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, LOL. Thanks again guys.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A word of caution...

Onkyo's of that era ran extremely hot. Make sure you give it plenty of ventilation. At least 4 inches on the top, and make sure both sides aren't blocked as there are cooling fans on each side. Do not put anything on top of the receiver like a cd player. Otherwise, that thing was a beast. HomeTheaterHiFi bench tested it at 173 wpc x 2 into 8 ohms at 1% THD.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_3/onkyo-tx-sr805-receiver-9-2006-part-1.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
gene c said:
A word of caution...

Onkyo's of that era ran extremely hot. Make sure you give it plenty of ventilation. At least 4 inches on the top, and make sure both sides aren't blocked as there are cooling fans on each side. Do not put anything on top of the receiver like a cd player. Otherwise, that thing was a beast. HomeTheaterHiFi bench tested it at 173 wpc x 2 into 8 ohms at 1% THD.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_3/onkyo-tx-sr805-receiver-9-2006-part-1.html
If you have a typical Sauter-type media cabinet, with the compressed cardboard backing, cut almost the entire section behind the receiver. This helps maximize airflow.

I've got a 707. It's in a closed-door cabinet. There's a shelf about an inch above that, supporting my Tivo. I was concerned about airflow, but I've never had problems with it overheating. But the rear of the cabinet is wide open.

That said, I took a look at it as I was typing this, and realized my Tivo Roamio is shallower than the former HD, and moved its shelf up a peg :)

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Just when I thought all was good. I can't get the receiver to recognize my powered subwoofer. I have the sub cable plugged in back along with my two front speakers. Small boxes on front display show fronts. There is a box for sub,but it's blank. In speaker settings I have option for sub,which I have set to yes. When I go to Speaker level calibration, I do get a test tone coming out of the fronts as well as the sub. Any ideas?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bluskyguy said:
Just when I thought all was good. I can't get the receiver to recognize my powered subwoofer. I have the sub cable plugged in back along with my two front speakers. Small boxes on front display show fronts. There is a box for sub,but it's blank. In speaker settings I have option for sub,which I have set to yes. When I go to Speaker level calibration, I do get a test tone coming out of the fronts as well as the sub. Any ideas?
As said, almost certainly due to the particular sound mode it's set to. Like Sam said, Pure will not use the Sub. If it's a stereo signal in, I think you need Dolby Pro Logic IIx or similar engaged.

Unfortunately current AVRs are a labyrinth of sources and settings. It can be confusing and unclear how to get everything set as desired.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With only two speakers and sub...The only sound modes are...Pure(no sub)Straight(no sub)Stereo(with sub)Sens surround (with sub).The sub will also only produce bass when content is below the crossover (which is?).Unless he chooses full range and "double bass"(lfe + main). Then a default of 80hz is used/duplicated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This sounds like a connection/configuration issue. You already have plenty of people helping with it, and I have almost zero experience with the nuances of Onkyo receivers, so I'll leave it to them.

Bluskyguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
You guys were right, it was a listening mode setting. I did have double bass and full range on BTW. As DaveF said, these current AVR's are a labryinth of sources and settings. It's funny when I select the modes which utilize my sub, the overall volume is decreased a lot. I can actually go to max volume. Anyway I really appreciate all your inputs. So glad I joined this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks