What's new

Onkyo or Yamaha? (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing I'm curious about...if, let's say, I have a VCR plugged into video 1 and my TV plugged into video 2...is it just a matter of pushing a button on the Onkyo to change the channel in which the sound will emit from? If I'm on, say, video 2, but I want to watch a VHS tape that's on video 1, do I just press a button or turn a dial to do this?

I'm just trying to better understand how the Onkyo works.

Thanks.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
MikeM: if you don't connect the dvd player to the receiver with a digital cable (either TOSlink or coaxial), you won't get the full benefit (6 discrete channels, etc) of Dolby digital and dts surround sound.

I think the forum consensus is that Monster Cables are overpriced, or perhaps I'm extrapolating this thread in an unwarranted manner. (there are many alternatives, including RadioShack Gold, mentioned in that link).

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks...two more questions...

While doing some research...I keep hearing that the speaker wires are too thin...why does this matter? Is this a sound issue or a durability issue?

Secondly, I hear that the system gets really hot...is this a concern with the Onkyo 770?

Thanks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I use 14 awg speaker wire. 16 awg will be fine for most set-ups unless you are doing long runs. If the Onk comes with very thin guage wire, I personally would change them. Others here might not. I don't have an Onk. here. I had a 520 for a bit and it got hot but no more than my HK. My HK receiver gets hot but it's never been an issue, and it's in an armoir. I really can't speak on the heat issue for the Onk that comes with the 770 htib. I think you might be interested in this link on receiver set-up. After you read this (or before) click on reviews and reports and then choose receivers for more info. There's another piece on basic set up that might help. You can also go to the learning area on the upper right of the link page for more info.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. But I still don't understand why it matters if the wires are thin? Is it because it produces less than quality sound compared to these 14 and 16 gauge wires? Is it a significant difference?

Lastly...when connecting the wires to the speakers and the back of the receivers...are you literally connecting wires, or is it more like component cables (or S-video cables) that just sort of stick into a colored jack?

Thanks.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Thinner wire has a higher resistance than thicker wire. Some manufacturers supply ridiculously thin wires (24 gauge) with their HTiB boxes. The usual suggestion is to buy 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire from Home Despot.

This page includes a guide for correlating the impedance of a speaker load with cable length.

Really thick wire is counter productive. HTiB amplifiers cannot drive low-ohm speakers without difficulty, and while thick cables may allow one to successfully wire a cavernous room, the amplifier will not have the power to "fill" that room with sound, (regardless of the inflated wattage claims of the manufacturer)

And, of course, most HTiB systems are equipped with spring clips, and it's often physically difficult to connect large diameter wire to such things. I ended terminating my speaker wires with pins at the speaker end, just to make it easier for my none too dextrous hands to manipulate the connection...

Binding posts, such as those featured on my receiver (an onkyo TX-SR502), are some what more amenable to fumbling hands. But that's just my experience.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Mike, as far as speaker wire is concerned. The link I gave you, somewhere, states that thin wire is actually better for the htib set-ups. I had never heard that before. The issue is one of debate- many say it makes no difference, others say it does. If you go to forum jump section at the top of this page and go to "speakers and subwoofers" it will take you to a forum search engine. Here you can put in "speaker wire guage" or something like that and do a search. This is a great way to get lots of info and often find great links that others here provide on various topics. As far as connecting the speakers, we are talking about speaker wire, and it is just that, wire. Whatever guage you get is the guage it is- period. Sometimes you will hear it referred to as speaker cable and some companies sell very expensive speaker wire enclosed in a thick cable that makes it seem really fat and they can charge you an arm and a leg for it. This may be good for true class A audiophile equipment (still debatable issue for some), but the guage is the guage and for your purposes, I would go to rad shack and get the goldseries speaker wire, if you want to go thicker than what may or may not come with your system. If I were you, and you do get the 770, I would just set it up as is to start. You might also be interested in this link just for a good read that may relate.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Great post, Jeremy. I was looking for that speaker wire history link and coudn't find it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks