What's new

Onkyo offering to repair Receivers 2009-2012 HDMI Issues (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just sold one of my repaired 818 units. I'm using the other in my Computer Room HT. I'm thinking of buying a Samsung F8500 for my Bedroom HT and then matching the Panny GT it's replacing with my remaining 818 in my Computer Room HT.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In the absence of my 707 and 807, had to dust off my Integra DTR 5.8 and a Panasonic SA HE200.Added a Technics SA G90 for the front channel on the Integra. Forgot how effortless "New Class A" is.The Panny even sounds better than I remembered...once I remembered how to set it up(it is a wonder we ever got stuff set up at all). Played some DVD-A over analog from the Oppo 970(first time for it...pretty damn good).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My 707 and 807 "should have been" delivered Tuesday. They weren't, cause Fed Ex ground(around here) sucks balls. Called to set a time for me to pick them up as "according to customer service" I ignored the door tags(FEg is notorious for not even bothering to drive to this area). Anyway, driving the 47 miles, in the opposite direction of work, to get them in the morning. Will report back on the repairs.The 807 will be easy to see if they just replaced the HDMI board as I used the "heat gun on the DAC trick" to keep it alive. It was discolored (basically burnt...). Didn't even bother to put the screws back in it that held the cover (the cover was in the closet as a heat gun was always plugged in and ready to blast away for 20-30 seconds).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got them to the house(might have time to play). At least on my 807 they replaced the HDMI board entirely. They put screws in the cover, but the DAC chip has a "new" sticker...which you can readily see. Oh...and not burnt anymore. And looking in both, seeing how clean they are(the 807 was very dusty under the HDMI board and heatsink)...Would not be surprised if Onkyo is simply swapping back/front panels onto refurbed (and confirmed functional) AVR. Although I have no proof of that...outside of (seriously) being clean enough inside you could run a Q-tip and not have a speck of dust.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That would be crazy if they are sending out entirely different refurbished innards as replacements. Quite a nice bit of customer service.

Maybe they figured it's just easier that way, but still...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Currently swapped the 807(most shocked it is fixed...later here I'll explain) in for a Philips BTM2180 that is used for audio from an iMac(the speakers aren't bad...cheap yes, but not bad).Producing great sound on pure. Comes back with a "reset to factory" piece of paper...but it was on All Channel Stereo. Switched to Pure Audio.When you get the box, the instructional paper says "AVR needs to be in warrantable condition". Hhhmmm.I figured I was going to get a note saying they couldn't fix it cause I opened it...least of all fired a heat gun on it at least 100 times.But...fixed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I have no complaints as my unit is functioning perfectly.
To my mind it's a great bit of customer service. You fellas are getting a clean, rebuilt/tested chassis housed inside your outer shell.

I think that's pretty sweet and a nice turn by Onkyo.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Currently swapped the 807(most shocked it is fixed...later here I'll explain) in for a Philips BTM2180 that is used for audio from an iMac(the speakers aren't bad...cheap yes, but not bad).Producing great sound on pure. Comes back with a "reset to factory" piece of paper...but it was on All Channel Stereo. Switched to Pure Audio.When you get the box, the instructional paper says "AVR needs to be in warrantable condition". Hhhmmm.I figured I was going to get a note saying they couldn't fix it cause I opened it...least of all fired a heat gun on it at least 100 times.But...fixed.
So, you're happy?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
So, you're happy?
Beyond happy.Haven't even tried the 707 yet. I have to find the 707 remote(pretty sure I know where it is) as I "was" going to use it with the 807. But...the 707 remote won't do the setup on the 807. And (since I use all the HDMI) the "AUX input" button on the 707 remote wouldn't select it(aux is on the front of the 707, rear on the 807...).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope other HTF members who own 2009-2012 Onkyo receivers are taking advantage of this extended warranty program.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, lucky dog be me anyway...The 807 was a SquareTrade warranty replacement of the 707. The 807 made it outside the terms of the ST warranty...before it acted up.I bought the 707 on Ebay, including the iPod dock(which I sold for $65)...for $250(BIN, shipping included and a ST included). That was when the X1X debuted. The seller sold the 707 to pay for a NR414. The listing was up on Ebay a grand total of 14 minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes. It lasted exactly 22 months before it died...which got me the 807...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd rather there have not been a fatal design flaw. But I'm very happy to have gotten it fixed just as the problem was developing. This will keep Onkyo as an option for my next receiver.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Crawford said:
Onkyo is offering to repair receivers with HDMI issues such as no audio on receivers made between 2009-2012. I'm sending them two receivers I purchased in 2012.

Here are some links:
http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php#
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/
Wish they had done this 2 years ago.
Mine died and would just click and never turn on again. Probably not covered.

I moved on to a Denon. I will probably never buy an Onkyo receiver again either.

Great offer for others though. Its nice to see them finally doing something to support their product.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Add me to the dreaded HDMI no sound issue list. I bought my TX-NR809 from accessories4less.com and thankfully, after checking on the Onkyo site, I can send it in for fixing.

But, since this was the second failure of this receiver (first was a smoked power supply) I'll be selling it once I get it fixed. To much down time for a top brand receiver. However, kudos to Onkyo for extending the warranty and owning up to this HDMI problem

Anyway, I bought an Emotiva receiver just to test it out and wow this thing sounds good so I'll be keeping it. I'm just stunned at how good it sounds.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I not as much noticed a HDMI issue. I have TH SR-875 that is 2007 model so I guess it can't qualify?

So what is the repair Onkyo is offering free boards that we can fit that replaces the older boards as that would suffice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
andySu said:
I not as much noticed a HDMI issue. I have TH SR-875 that is 2007 model so I guess it can't qualify? So what is the repair Onkyo is offering free boards that we can fit that replaces the older boards as that would suffice.
You can't just put a "newer board" in. The X05 and X06(which count the models with 75/76) haven't been known to fail. Last I checked, the 875 still commands a good chunk of change on the used market.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
You can't just put a "newer board" in.The X05 and X06(which count the models with 75/76) haven't been known to fail. Last I checked, the 875 still commands a good chunk of change on the used market.
Well nice to know. Only snag was the display I fixed on Christmas day that was faulty resistor R9310 on the power supply for the display that I was able to de-solder and fit a new same resistor of same value in place and display was functional again.

I have noticed around November last year a relay clicking and thinking its not going to same issue I had with another AVR lol that needs re-soldring dry joints. I not noticed it now for many weeks.

The TH SR-875 is mainly used as AVP.

I still see plenty of these selling cheaply.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
andySu said:
Well nice to know. Only snag was the display I fixed on Christmas day that was faulty resistor R9310 on the power supply for the display that I was able to de-solder and fit a new same resistor of same value in place and display was functional again.I have noticed around November last year a relay clicking and thinking its not going to same issue I had with another AVR lol that needs re-soldring dry joints. I not noticed it now for many weeks.The TH SR-875 is mainly used as AVP.I still see plenty of these selling cheaply.
Define "cheaply"...That is a 7(going on 8) year old avr that still sells, here in the US, for $300-$500. And many would be better served with one of those...than a new $400 AVR (if, 3d is off the table).

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Just let know if any have found dtsHDMA bit bombing on Return of Jedi "NooooooooooooooRay Disc" its a load of rubbish bluray anyway the CBS/FOX laserdisc beats this, on Dolby Stereo original sound.

I used the frame -15 advance back on the Sony BDP-S550 and as soon as the disc started again it tripped out the Onkyo TH SR-875 to standby mode. When powering up again the fans kicked in and took 10 or so seconds to settle down due to dtsHDMA sound format. I don't get this nonsense on DOLBY TrueHD.

Turning this rubbish bluray off its a film that I don't recognize. too many "Nooooo's" Bit Bombs and I can't trust playing this. Time for Laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks