What's new

Onkyo HT-S3500 vs Denon DHT-1312XP Vs Yamaha RX-V373 (1 Viewer)

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
Hi all, I am planning to buy home theatre and need your help in selecting between Onkyo HT-S3500 vs Denon DHT-1312XP Vs Yamaha RX-V373 My main usage will be for listening music 65% (from my PC/iPhone/FM/CD/TV) Watching movies in Blu ray/ DVD - 10% Watching movies/news/music in HD CHANNEL - 25% Onkyo and Denon are more are less same price and Yamaha is bit costly but can go for it if it is better than onkyo and denon for my above usage. Please help to provide your feedback..txs

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Yamaha has a room correction EQ, the other two don't. Crutchfield has it for $219 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV373/Yamaha-RX-V373.html?tp=179&kw=&org=pla&nw=g&crv=12538106305 The Denon comes with a powered subwoofer. The Onkyo has a passive subwoofer. The Yamaha receiver is a bit better to me because of the room eq. Are you getting a Yamaha speaker package with it? I'd also take the Denon over the Onkyo (because of the powered sub).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wouldn't touch the 3500 with a 10 foot pole. IF you are "already" considering the Yamaha, replace the 3500 with the 5500. What is your "total" budget cause you might be able to swing an AVR(refurb) with REAL speakers for the same cost anyway. And he probably meant this...for the Yamaha... http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-497-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2Y4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359226074&sr=1-1&keywords=yht-497

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
Yes. Yamaha RX-V373 comes with speakers. I also when searched it has specification for AVR only, but here in the store in singapore included with speakers. My budget is SGD $600...main use for listening music.. I am google a lot in choosing between Onkyo HT-S3500, Denon DHT-1312XP and Yamaha RX-V373...and got the below one from some other thread... I am also looking for 50-60% for music and 40% for movie... For this criteria which one will be better..? Even bit exceed my budget ($600), if it is good one..I will go for it..Please post your feedback..txs
1. 70-80 % movies and 20-30% music .... Go for Onkyo 2. 60 % movies and 40 % music .... Go for Denon (Balanced, but a bit more towards movies) 3. 50-60 % music and 40-50% movies .... Go for Yamaha (Balanced, but a bit more towards music) 1. 60-70 % music and 20-30% movies .... Go for Marantz.

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
I have just checked YHT-497lb specification which is using RX-V373 AVR with speakers.... Not sure how they are buying RX_373 with speakers...it should be then YHT-497lb..right? or they are mix / matching the AVR and speakers..not sure.. Whether YHT-497lb is better to go with?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Which Marantz, and again, does it come with speakers/subwoofer? Which ones? There are no Marantz receiver/speaker packages that I know of. The speakers in the Yamaha YHT-497 are very basic (a single full range driver) and the subwoofer, even though it is powered, is very small. The YHT-397 looks to be the better system (better subwoofer, seperate mid-bass and tweeters), at least on paper. The Denon system also has basic speakers but the subwoofer looks to be a bit more substantial then that in the Yamaha 497. Is the Yamaha YHT-397 available in your area? What speakers would you be using with (which) Marantz receiver. Sorry for all the additional questions but without the answers we will only be guessing.

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
hi, I got the speaker details as below. Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P20 Speakers - $659 SGD Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P40 Speakers - $880 SGD Today gone to store and had demo for both Onkyo Hts3500 and Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with NS-P40 Speakers. Both are looking good..anyway entry level and within my budget...but yamaha with NS-P40 speakers are bit costly... For listening music (mostly) - 65% and movie (25%), if onkyo is good..I will go for it...if yamaha is better option with NS-P20 speakers, then I will go for it even if it exceeds my budget a bit.... Denon DHT-1312XP Model is not available in this store and didn't had a chance and this model is also within my budget...Anyway I am going to other store for the demo on Denon.. Both Denon DHT-1312XP and Yamaha RX-V373AVR - NS-P20/40 speakers are having active subwoofers....but onkyo has passive subwoofer... Yamaha RX--V374 with NS-P20 speakers is bit costly ( exceeds budget $50...no issues ) Yamaha RX--V374 with NS-P40 speakers is bit costly ( exceeds budget $200) Apart from it both Denon-1312XP and Onkyo HTS3500 are within my budget with same price... Forget about Marantz which I got from other thread while googling...I am also not heard of this brand.... My main concern is I can't have 2 different setup for music and movies and my entry level system should support at least 60% for music and 35-40% for movies....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Marantz is well known here in the US. They are owned by the same company as Denon. The Yamaha NP-20 and NP-40 look the same to me. They both have a single 2 3/4" driver in each speaker and a 6 1/2 powered subwoofer. But there must be some difference. At this point I'd give the slight edge to the Denon DHT-1312XP but none of these will be very good for music. The Yamaha YHT-397 would have been the favorite had it been available. But it's best to listen for yourself if you can.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Yamaha NP-20 and NP-40 look the same to me too. As others have said, if you have the money at all I'd get anything other than the Onkyo 3500. It's not horrible, and better than most HTiBs, but any of the other choices are better. I think it's a toss-up between the Yamaha RX-V373/NS-P20 and the Denon DHT-1312XP. I'd get the Yamaha for no other reason than I generally like Yamahas better. For someone else, I'd suggest picking either by (1) which has the edge in features you'd *use*, and then (2) which one looks better to you.

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
Finally, decided to go with either Yamaha RX-V373 with Yamaha NS-P40 speaker package or Denon DHT 1312XP. ONKYO 3500: In audition, all the speakers are arranged properly and demo had a good sound. I have tried different type of music which i had brought in my USB drive and found the bass is not so active and the woofer itself vibrating a lot. Understand it is passive subwoofer. Also in low volume it is not that much warm / listening... Denon: It is also properly arranged in demo room and sounds good. Having active woofer and we can also change the speakers in future....but it has no USB and component...i have copied all my music in my USB, but not able to listen to different type of music and apart from that it is ok for my budget.. Yamaha RX-V373 Tried 3 different stores and all of them kept all the speakers in one place and not arranged like ONKYO and Denon and not able to get the clear picture ...meaning clear surround sound :( But it has active woofer which ONKYO doesn't have USB and components input which Denon doesn't have Yamaha packaged speakers are not solid and heavy as compared to ONKYO and Denon I am newbie and going for AVR for the first time..and I am not sure of speaker selection...both ONKYO 3500 and Denon DHT 1312xp had solid and weight is good (compared to other two)...but speakers comes with Yamaha RX-V373 is very light weighted and not solid....Here comes the confusion now... In the store they are not allowing to mix and match the speakers for Yamaha and only 2 options are left.. Either to go with YAMAHA NS-P20 or NS-P40.. Is it something like heavy speakers will produce good sound compared to light weight speakers? Please help to advice...

Sushant

Auditioning
Real Name
Sushant
Hi Michael, I need your help, I m planning to buy denon xt 1312 or Onkyo 3500, So suggest me which one to buy? Also one of my friend is in Singapore and he is coming back on 2nd Feb 13 so can you please tell me from where you are buying these( store name and address) and whats the prices of both in Singapore dollar. This is urgent. My friend went to mustafa and some other store but he couldnt find it

Sushant

Auditioning
Real Name
Sushant
Sushant said:
Hi Michael, I need your help, I m planning to buy denon xt 1312 or Onkyo 3500, So suggest me which one to buy? Also one of my friend is in Singapore and he is coming back on 2nd Feb 13 so can you please tell me from where you are buying these( store name and address) and whats the prices of both in Singapore dollar. This is urgent. My friend went to mustafa and some other store but he couldnt find it
Apart from Michael can anybody provide me the details

Sushant

Auditioning
Real Name
Sushant
Sushant said:
Apart from Michael can anybody provide me the details

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
MEGASTORE Asia's Largest Electrical, IT and Furniture Store 50 Tampines North Drive 2 Singapore 528766 Free shuttle bus daily at 30-minute intervals Tampines MRT Station to Megastore First bus 9.50am, Last bus 10.20pm Megastore to Tampines MRT Station First bus 10.05am, Last bus 11.30pm Bedok MRT Station to Megastore First bus 9.50am, Last bus 10.20pm Megastore to Bedok MRT Station First bus 10.15am, Last bus 11.30pm Free shuttle bus during weekends at 45-minute intervals Pasir Ris MRT Station to Megastore First bus 9.20am, Last bus 8.35pm Megastore to Pasir Ris MRT Station First bus 9.50am, Last bus 11.40pm Free parking 10.00am - 10.00pm http://www.courts.com.sg/Locate-Us.aspx

michealjohn

Auditioning
Real Name
micheal john
Finally bought Yamaha HTR-3065 AVR with Yamaha NS-P20 home theatre speakers for $659.00 (SGD). Initially I thought/some confusion over RX-V373 and HTR-3065 ANSI seems both are with same configuration...between pls let me if there are any difference between these AVR.... Any comments on price? Settings up the things and post my comments soon.. A very big thanks to all your inputs in selecting a better option which also within my budget....as well said in this forum many times...DO YOUR AUDITION MORE WHICH SATISIFIES YOU.....since i am going to use it for more music than movies and also many +ve than onkyo 3500 and Denon 1312...i have gone to yamaha.....thanks once again.. There is a plan to upgrade the speakers later....and will come back

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks