What's new

Onkyo HT-R520 - Can I use it for high definition surround sound theater with 1080p TV? (1 Viewer)

smillion

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I bought this 5 years ago and have been happy. I recently bought a new tv and am confused about what I can and cannot use with this system? Since it does not have HDMI, do I need to get a new reciever to max out the signal quality, etc..?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I found it online, and I see it has the 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs.
If you get a BD player that decodes internally, and sends the signal out via it's 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analog outputs, you will be able to hear the HD audio from blu ray movies. Run the HDMI from the BD player straight to the tv for the video, and these 5.1 analog to the receiver.
Of course, a new receiver would probably be better in the long run. It would make things easier, such as less cables and easier switching. You could always get a Harmony remote, and let it do the switching for you.
Good luck! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

JHolgate

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob Holgate
I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd throw in my dos pesos. I have this receiver too that I got with an Onkyo HTiaB system several years ago. I still love the system and it still sounds great, but the technology has gotten outdated. I have recently upgraded from a CRT TV to an LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600 3D TV and a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray player. To answer the question of the original poster, my assumption is no, we will not be able to take full advantage of the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD soundtracks on Blu-ray discs (it will likely be decoded as Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital/EX, etc.), but we probably won't really notice either. I plan to hook up my new components as follows: Cable Box > TV HDMI (for video and non-surround audio-using the TV's speakers) Cable Box > Receiver Digital Optical (aka TOSLINK (for surround audio using my 6.1 speaker system)) Blu-ray > TV HDMI Blu-ray > Receiver Digital Optical From what I understand, HDMI is the only source that fully supports "high-def" audio (though I seriously doubt that.) Either way, the receiver doesn't decode it, so it's irrelevant. Anyway, on to the good news... I've been doing a lot of research on inexpensive upgrades to my audio system. Bottom line is, at the very least, I need a new receiver (eventually.) My original idea was to upgrade to a newer Onkyo HTiaB system (the HT-S9400 THX 7.1) when it goes on sale (which it often does) knocking the price down to around $5-600. But a quick check on CNet shows I've got other options: Sony makes some good, inexpensive ($3-500 range) receivers (STR-DNxxxx) and Onkyo too (TX-NR414 and TX-NR616) As for speakers, I could go with an Energy Take Classic 5.1 package (list $600 or $400 on Amazon,) but I'm still looking around. Most likely, I will go with one of the Onkyo receivers and worry about upgrading the speakers later...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sorry, but you are wrong. The 5.1multi- channel analog connections are the ONLY way, other than HDMI, to get the high definition audio from blu ray movies. This has been common knowledge for several years now. Connected this way, the receiver does NOT show Dolby TrueHD or dtsMaster Audio in the window. It will say Multi- Channel or however your brand words it. They did this so older receivers could be used for the new audio formats. You are right about the receiver doesn't decode it though....... the player does. The distance and volume level will need to be setup for each speaker, in the player's setup menus.

KendallPM

Auditioning
Real Name
Kendall Messerli
I was wondering if you can help me or point me to a website that can....I inherited an HT-R520 from a friend of a friend that I never met and am trying to hook it up to a new tv but I cannot figure out how to do it.. The receiver doesn't have a USB for HDMI, where can I put the red, white and yellow cables to properly hook them up? Also, want to hook up my xbox so if possible could you help me out with that?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It would help to have the exact name and model number of the display and other devices since it depends on what other devices (cable box, satellite box, dvd/bluray player, etc.) you want to hook up to it and what video outputs they have. The Onkyo HT-520 does have 2 component video inputs and a component video output which support 1080i but not 1080P. However, your display will convert the picture to 1080P if it's a 1080P display of course. The best thing to do is hook the audio outputs from your devices to the receiver with a digital optical or coaxial connection, or the red and white stereo cables. Run the video straight to your display by hdmi (preffered) or component, s-video or the yellow connection. Then swith the input on the receiver for audio and the display for video. I really don't know much about the xbox.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So we get on the "correct terminology" bandwagon... USB has nothing to do with HDMI. The HTR520 has neither anyway. Did you get the remote? If not...geesh, this is not going to be easy. Xbox "can" use component video(if you look at the upper left of the AVR you see Red/Green/Blue. That is component. What else is being connected? Cause you may be better off not using the video switching.

lakerzfan07

Auditioning
Real Name
navi
Do you have a digital optical cabel connection in the back of your TV? I have the same onkyo system and just use an optical cable, sound is succulent ;) (50" 1080p panasonic plasma)

enrique1085

Auditioning
Real Name
Enrique
Hello there, I just bought this system yesterday and noticed that the the receiver has 3 digital optical cable inputs in the back. To answer your question, yes you can hook up your new TV. You can use the digital optical cable connection, and even though I don't know about the technology behind it, I will say it'll sound great. (I tested it myself). Make sure to set your TV speaker output to external, it'll help enhance the quality of the sound.

If you want to hook up other components like Blu-Ray and Game console, use the same cable to connect to the receiver and then all you have to do is switch the input from the remote whenever changing from one component to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks