What's new

Onkyo HT-760 HTiB speaker issues (1 Viewer)

Paul K.

Auditioning
Since there's no HTiB specific forum, I guessed this should go here, if it should be moved, please let me know.

I've had this HTiB systetm for ~2.5 years now, and I've been very happy with it for what it is.

For the first time now I'm having an issue with it, that I'd like some help diagnosing.

I'm not sure of the technical name for the problem I'm having, so I'll try to describe it as best I can.

It is primarily with the surround channels in the rear.

If I don't use the system for a short while (few days), one or both of these channels sporadically go dead on me. Only they're not really dead. With a pink noise test signal, their sound is extremely muffled and weak at my normal listening volume. Raising the volume causes them to "snap" back to their normal level after a second or two and I can lower the volume back down to my normal listening level. After that their sound is normal again and I get full surround effects until I don't use the system for a couple days, which then requires me to repeat the process to fix it again.

I've determined that it's not any one speaker or channel failing, but beyond that I can't figure out what the problem is.

My only/best idea so far is the wiring? I used the wires that came with the system, which are generally considered the weakest element of the system.

Could poor speaker wires w/ corroded/oxidized contacts result in the syptoms I describe?

I'm really confused with the transient nature of the problem; why does raising the volume fix the issue and allow me to listen at my normal (lower) volume level again?

Is my theory about the wires sound, or do I have electrical gremlins in the amp itself?

Thanks for any help with this.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just for grins raise all your channels the same amount and leave them there? I mean, an odd work around, but calibration is just as accurate as long as you raise each channel by the same amount.

Odd problem for sure. I think it is in the AVR though from the description.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like a bad solder joint or something loose in the receiver. Heat from normal usage over time can cause a weak solder joint to fail or perform intermittently as you describe. If it's out of warranty and you aren't afraid to take a stab at it, it may just be a loose connection on a board or wire. Either that or it's a good excuse to get a new one.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like something to do with the receiver and not the speakers. I have had my Onkyo system for about 2.5 years also, without any problems.

Paul K.

Auditioning
Darn, I was hoping I wasn't going to hear that answer.

I'm sure the thing is out of warranty by now, so I guess I don't have too much to lose by trying to fix it on my own.

I have no idea what/where to look for though. If it didn't jump randomly from channel to channel, affeccting only 1 at a time, I'd be a lot less confused.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd crank the channel levels, should present a work around if raising any one channel actually sort of fixes it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks