What's new

Onkyo DV-SP1000 vs Apex AD7701 (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Vladimir, I think you probably means well also, but your post reads like someone "talking a lot of smack," as the slang goes. ;)

YES! 100 percent agreed. Underscore. Bold. Emphasize. Amen, hallelujiah! :D ;) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Vladimir

Agent
"Now you sound like you're just whining and fishing for excuses to tear down this unit."
-----------------------------------------------------
Actually, I was not tearing down the Onkyo by any means, I rather was lifting Denon up by making a point that Denon is very comparable to the Onkyo and is worth considering, just as the Pioneer.

Vladimir

JoeRod

Auditioning
I am an installer who has had the 5900 the 3910 the 59 Pio and have laid my hands on many others and I can say without a doubt the ONKYO SP-1000 is simply better. Picture wise I see a more natural, clear and smoother grain free display. I didn't see MB or the chroma delay and Y/C problems on all my movies with the Denons, but those I didn't the picture was still better on the SP-1000.If Faroudja(FL 2310)was supposed to be the end all be all then why are they not using it on the 5910? After a few firmware discs from Denon I have lost faith in them. I can forgive the disc for the BTB level on the Onkyo, all are troubled by that. I to was astonished when I first put in a movie on the 1000. I couldn't believe how true HD it looked. The Audio is very impressive, maybe not as much as the 5900 but definitely better than the 3910. Besides a DVD player should be for the Picture, not the audio anyhow. That is why we have receivers, or seperates! Scooby Doo 2, Cat in the Hat, Monsters Inc, and even Soul Plane looked like my D-vhs, D Theater quality movies! I told another big electronics guy I knew today how good this 1000 is, and his reaction was much like mine. Better than Denon? No way. Now he is doing a side by side comparison and I gaurantee it he will pick Onkyo. I did! In closing I have found my one and only true love, and now I must get the TX NR 1000 to match it...Congrats FleX O scaling, and Onkyo for making the best unit on the market!

gregD

Second Unit
If only to stir up this thread further, I'm looking forward to the arrival of the new Marantz flagship, DV-9500... supposedly Marantz-built from the ground up (i.e. their own proprietary platform, not a Pioneer)... loaded with features and connections (HDMI)... and promising performance numbers.

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/ced...antzdv9500.php

JoeRod

Auditioning
It will be TOUGH to beat a combo like the 1000s. I can't wait for the iLINK to make life easier for SACD, DVD-AUDIO and all the MOVIE soundtracks. HDMI switching with the SP-1000 and the JVC HM DH5U. UPconversion with the SIL 504 instead of Faroudja (denon). Upgrades via a card! No need to go to heaven because we are already there...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I agree wholeheartedly, JoeRod. :emoji_thumbsup:

In this price range, especially if you shop around, it's easy to get the 1000 legit in the $1500's. Good luck finding a unit that really handily beats it without at least doubling your price out of the box or with a bunch of mods.
You won't find it. Just talk to some Krell owners and they'll tell you what they think of the Onkyo 1000 through gritted teeth. ;)

It's pretty insane, overall, what you get for your dollar in the Onkyo 1000/Integra 10.5 units right out of the box. In some circles, they're starting to earn the affectionate pet name of "Baby Krells." And rightfully so. ;) The Marantz 9500 looks like an intruiging contender. I'm not clear if the video side of it is essentially a Denon unit or proprietary. Definitely has some nice word of mouth going around so far for it in the month or so it's been out.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Sorry if I missed this if previously posted, but how do the Onkyo or Integra do with redbook CD's.

On a side note, many years ago in the '80's, I was a big fan of Onkyo products, but after a misstep with an Onkyo 696, I was determined to never buy an Onkyo product again. Then, I auditioned and bought the Integra 9.4 pre/pro and, imo, the unit is a huge bargain and wonderful performer. It only heightens my expectations of what either the Onkyo or Integra units being discused might be capable of doing bang for the buck wise.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
My local hi-fi shop carries Integra products, but not Onkyo. Can anyone chime in as to whether any additional features on the Integra justify the extra expense?

Thanks.
Doug

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Both Onkyo and Integra do fantastically well with redbook CD's. For my money, I think both players are some of the best all around audio experiences I've seen in the

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey, thanks Eric.

I will go see if I can find one to audition.

Sounds like a great unit!!!

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
It's pretty amazing, especially if you can work down a good deal for it. Good luck and do let us know what you think! :)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Eric. I had compared the specs on both manufacturers' web sites. I just now compared both manuals. Other than a couple of different Euro/No. Am. connections, I couldn't find any difference in the units.

Anyway, they both seem to be outstanding units. When Spring rolls around and I can afford one, I'm going to check them out.

Doug

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Hopefully you'll also be the beneficiary of reduced prices at that point. ;)

I just talked to a friend of mine who's an owner of the Integra 10.5 and asked him to give the Cliff's Notes version of the differences between it and the Onkyo 1000.

Here goes:

1.) Onkyo: 1 Year parts and labor manufacterer warranty vs.
Integra: 3 years.

2.) 480p component outputs are BNC connecters instead of RCA ( you have one of each, actually.)

3.) There are composite and s-video inputs that can be upconverted to component
output. This is just like a lot of receivers do today, where you can plug in ALL these different kinds of things into it and then it all comes out of one, nice, convenient set of component cables going to your TV.

He's not 100 percent sure of this, but there are a few owners of the Integra 10.5 at AVS that claim they are also scaled if output is using HDMI. Imagine if that's true! It may very well be, and you may want to call or email Integra and find out for sure.

I need to find this out for sure. I know the component thing is true. Not sure about this HDMI thing, though. That would be a heck of a trick wouldn't it? As it is, the Integra is basically acting like a lot of receivers do with that component trick.

Nice! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks