What's new

Onkyo 806 set up questions (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

OK, I purchased a Samsung Blu ray player over the weekend to augment my aging and obsolete HD DVD player.

I set up the blu ray vai HDMI (2) on the Onkyo on the AUX setting, so now the video runs via the HDMI out to my TV. That is, the HD DVD is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI (1) and uses the DVD setting for audio, Blu is HDMI (2) using the AUX setting for audio and those are both output via the HDMI out to the TV.

I calibrated the HD DVD using Audessey. My question is, since I have the Bluray going through AUX, do I need to redo Audyssey for the AUX setting or does the Audyssey setting carry over from the DVD set up and apply to all applications?

The reason i ask, is that the sound from the Bluray did not seem to be as good as that from the HD DVD player. Now that is a subjective comment as I was not comparing one to the other directly (an A vs B comparison), but I did have to turn up the center channel to hear things properly and did not have to did this with the HD DVD.

I would expect the DTS MD etc to sound better than the HD DVD so I am thinking there is something else I need to do....

Thanks for any input.

Dave

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No need to redo Audyssey unless you change your speakers.

Check to make sure you are using the same DSP for each. You will have to redo all your presets. Also make sure you are really bitstreaming the HD sound from your BD player. Lastly, make sure you choose the correct soundtrack for the movie. Many Blu-Rays default to the old Dolby 5.1.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Audyssey affects all inputs, shouldn't have to redo anything.

Are you comparing the exact same title (which)?
Decoding in the blu-ray player, or bitstreaming? What model Samsung?
What listening modes are you using (hit "display", what does the front panel say?)

There's no reason why Blu-ray would sound any better (or worse) than HD-DVD, given the same mix. But even with the same title, there's no absolute guarantee that the tracks are identical.

Dave>h

Second Unit
If Audessey affects all inputs, does it make sense that the Center channel volume for Blu ray movies doesn't seem to be loud enough?

I have to turn the center input up from -1.5db to +7.5 db to watch a blu ray but watching an HD DVD the audessey settings are fine.

I do not think I set up anything funny in the blu ray set up so I am not sure why a blu ray input would have different volume characteristics than an hd dvd setup. Seems very odd.

I think I need to investigate further. Maybe I will redo Audessey and see if that helps....

Thanks,

Dave

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Dave>h

If Audessey affects all inputs, does it make sense that the Center channel volume for Blu ray movies doesn't seem to be loud enough?
No, it doesn't make sense. Answer the questions from my first post, maybe there is a clue there. Model # of samsung, audio settings, listening mode on the Onkyo, and list some specific titles.

Do you have a Blu-ray calibration disc with test tones like DVE HD basics?
Same issue or not with DVDs played in the Blu-ray player?
Which HD-DVD player?

Dave>h

Second Unit
I have the Samsung BDp-1600 connected via HDMI
The listening mode is DTS HD MA or the highest uncompressed audio i can get from the disk.

I have watch Valkerie and Apocalyto and both required that I reset the center volume from -1.5db (the Audyssey setting) to about +7.0 db

I watched the Bourne Supremacy on the HD DVD (Toshiba HD-a1) and did not need to adjust the center volume, that is -1.5 db had clear and correctly level calibrated volume in the center channel.

The only thing I have adjusted during the set up of the Bluray player is the HDMI settings so that it outputs uncompressed audio through the hdmi. I did not change any of the other outputs but I will review these this evening to see if anything looks odd.

I have not tried a DVD in the blu ray yet so cannot comment on that.

Will report back...

Dave

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Maybe it's just the particular titles? E.g. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2203/valkyrie.html review of Valkyrie says:

My biggest complaint with the whole mix is that the dialogue is considerably softer than most other releases. Right from the get-go during the scenes in Africa, the volume needs to be cranked up a few notches more than the norm to hear every spoken word clearly, and then when we're treated to bombing air strikes it is quite jarring to say the least. Surround usage is great, though, as is the presence from the LFE channel and John Ottman's score. Sadly, if only the center channel was tweaked properly we could have had a real winner here.
So maybe it's intentional, they want the effects really friggin loud.

I would try a bunch of other titles. Also try bitstream(audiophile) mode on the Samsung, with the receiver decoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks