What's new

Onkyo 717--can't get blu-ray player to work with it (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Just got my refurb 717 today through Accessories 4 Less. I've hooked up all my speakers (5.1 system), my DirecTV DVR and my Samsung BD-D5500 blu-ray player. I'm using all HDMI connections. I've got sound and picture coming through for my DVR but sound only from the blu-ray player. I get an occasional flicker of a picture, but nothing else. All connections are solid. The blu-ray player was working properly when connected directly to the TV via HDMI.Any suggestions?BrucePS--I have to say the manual for this receiver leaves a LOT to be desired. Instructions are not very clear at all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Were the TV and BD player unplugged from the wall when you put the 717 in?

And if the Onkyo manual isn't to your liking, good thing you didn't buy a Pioneer/Elite, Yamaha, Denon/Marantz, Sony, HK, Anthem, Sherwood or a Cambridge.

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
No they weren't unplugged from the wall. I will try unplugging everything and plugging them back in.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
99% of the time "I have sound but no video" involving a BD player or a HDMI DVD player set for upscaling...

It is a handshake problem. Turning everything off and unplugging it and reconnecting as if everything was "fresh from a box" does the trick.

The 1% is actual problems. There was a guy the other day with two Sony 3D BD players...one would send 3D, the other would not...it happens.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, the foolproof way to check for handshake issues is to leave it connected, go back to "video set-up" in your BD player and set it for 480i or 480P and throw a DVD in it. If that works...all it is is our "good friend" HDCP playing havoc with the party...

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Sam,

I think that did the trick! I say think because I also switched a couple of HDMI cables around, using a shorter one to connect the blu-ray player to the receiver. In any event, I now have sound and picture coming from the blu ray through the receiver. Consider your hand heartily shaken!

Thanks!

Bruce

PS--however, somehow I pressed something and lost the sound from my DVR. It was working, then I pressed the USB selection in the setup menu and now don't have access to any setup items except setup and instavue. More work tomorrow...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, this stuff is a learning curve and HDMI brings its own issues to the party.

I've just been doing this since the "27" TV was big"...

My first surround system was the electronics out of a Technics rack system(SU G90 integrated, they come up on Ebay now and again) from before center speaker. A system had been damaged and instead of junking the entire thing...I bought the electronics and the two surround speakers. The cabinet and front towers were destroyed. Somewhere the "table-top" 5-disc carousel is still spinning discs...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks