What's new

onix rockets stability (1 Viewer)

I've been looking around to upgrade my speakers. This may be the first of many posts, but you guys have never steered me wrong. I haven't heard the rockets yet, but they get good reviews and the form factor is nice. I have to account for WAF in making this purchase. My question, however is not about the sound of the speakers. I've seen at least one review that mentioned these had a pretty narrow footprint. Can anyone comment on the "tippiness" of these guys? I know the mfr offers special feet, but I've seen what they look like, and that might kill the WAF.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Josh

That is a difficult issue. I have dealt with all kinds of tippy issues and it depends on a bunch of things. Do you have children, dogs? What kind of flooring, carpet, hardwood, etc.,?

You ought to try to show your wife a picture of the special feet. That should not be a deal killer.

Happy New Year

hardwood floors in an old apartment, which means they're not as level as I'd like them to be. Right now, we just have cats, but I'm trying to sort of think ahead on this purchase.

I'm concerned mostly because the setup in my living room is such that one tower will be near the only door in and out of the room. My crappy Kenwood HTIB speakers have gone off their stands.

Arthur, do you own the rockets? Which ones and what do you think?
I know av123 has its own forum, but, and I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, it seems to be characterized mostly by a kind of boundless enthusiasm toward the product, and that's not very helpful to a n00b like me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Josh

I have not heard the ONIX Rockets but the owner of another forum uses a high end model in their line. I am looking at the X sub in white maple for a secondary system. I would be seriously concerned with any speaker with a narrow foot print. I have a pair of KEF Q80 and they have a plastic wider platform that screws onto the bottom. Even with that, I am very very careful about not tipping them over.

Have you looked at the Premier Acoustic, or BIC towers. They may have a little bit of a wider base.

Please keep in touch.

Have a Prosperous New Year

Art

Todd Bohlke

Agent
Which rockets are you looking at? I got the 550s a couple of years ago and bought the stands mostly to raise the tweeter to a higher level, but also to stabalize them better. I'm really happy with them--I'm surprised you think they'll hurt their WAF as I think they look MUCH better with them than without.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new ones come with feet don't they? My friend's 750SEs did. Shouldn't be a problem.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I have a friend who has a version of the 750's, not sure which version. They were tippy on his carpet floor, he got some stands that AV123 sells that helped. I would think on a hardwood floor though you would not have much of a problem. And yes, the spikes went through the carpet to the floor, the carpet was just thick enough with the pad that it still caused some concern for him.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Dont forget you get the leveling brass things that screw into the bottom in case your floor is not level which they work good. I got the feet for my 750's after I had them for awhile, not for sound like most but because they make them look so neat and different. You would not believe how many comments they brought. I have upgraded to the 850's which are wider and don't budge at all (the new 760's should not either as they are about the same size) and I love these speakers but miss the feet (risers and comments they used to bring) Don't worry with the weight of these speakers you won't have any problems.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks