What's new

One Step Beyond -- Restored! (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Harry-N /forum/thread/289077/one-step-beyond-restored/30#post_3606877
I hear you. I'm in the same "Beatles boat" - but I also bought the proverbial bullet and grabbed ONE STEP BEYOND too. In fact, my mono box set arrived yesterday, the same day that I picked up ONE STEP BEYOND. Since I'd already heard some samples of the mono set, it wasn't as imperative to open. Nonetheless, I did indeed open that mono set this morning after looking at a couple of ONE STEP BEYOND episodes!
Harry
Harry,
Is there a definitive compendium you would recommend on One Step Beyond? I own several companions/compendiums detailing other series (The Outer Limits / Schow and various Trek books come to mind), and wouldn't mind obtaining one of the better ones for One Step Beyond.
I watched The Dead Part Of the House recently. It was neat seeing some TOS alumni (Joanne Linville); I always relish seeing characters I recognize from other shows, particularly in their earlier work.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've not found one, but then I haven't researched it much. The closest thing I have as a compendium for ONE STEP BEYOND is the chapter in FANTASTIC TELEVISION. I suppose there could be some online sites that would be more detailed than that.

Harry

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
McFarland and Company has published a book about the series, but it's a bit pricey:
Analytical Guide to Television's One Step Beyond, 1959-1961
ir

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
To be honest I have all the definitive seasons of Twilight Zone and the Complete Outer Limits Set, and so far all releases of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and I have never heard of One Step Beyond! It was odd... I spotted it on the shelf at Best Buy and looked it over, then went over to their APPLE area and looked it up on imdb.com and it got my attention, so I then noticed that WalMart.com had it listed around 34.86 (BB 39.99) and took it to custumer service and told them I wanted to match the WalMart price they just looked it up and matched it.

I watched the EXT. Pilot Bride Possessed and it was decent. I didn't hate it. I will buy the last two seasons if paramount releases them as actual seasons. Hopefully it sells well enough.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I also noticed that Paramount uses a blurb from that book's author, John Kenneth Muir, on the cover sticker.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Harry-N /forum/thread/289077/one-step-beyond-restored/30#post_3606789
The pilot episode is presented twice on the first disc. When you select the episode, you can pick the extended version or the standard-length one. The standard-length one has had a better restoration done on it, while the extended one is of a lesser quality.
It's a treat to see the "next week" promos at the conclusion of each episode.
Harry
The extended pilot looks to be from 16mm while the rest of the episodes look to be remastered 35mm.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The only difference is a longer and different Newland introduction, after seeing that bit, I suggest going with the remastered version when watching.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Newland's longer introduction is somewhat remeniscent of Rod Serling's introduction to the CBS network executives, where he describes different scenarios of what could end up in upcoming shows. In Newland's case, he seems to be telling us which stories of the supernatural could have been chosen for the pilot.

Harry

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I am still hoping for further seasons of this series, I had never ever heard of it until I stumbled across it at Best Buy and decided to give it a try. I think the set was worth every penny. No longer sitting in public domain hell.

If you like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits type shows Please don't pass up purchasing this set.

Maybe they will announce another season for this Fall/ Halloween season.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's a great series for sure, hope to see more of it soon! I prefer it myself to both Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
It's a great series for sure, hope to see more of it soon! I prefer it myself to both Outer Limits and Twilight Zone.
I hate to be the one to say this but... Don't hold your breath.
Gary "my crystal ball does not see a second season in the near future, unfortunately" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Well, maybe there'll be some news closer to Halloween, I won't hold it any longer than that... :-o

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I would feel it both odd and a cheat by Paramount if they hook people on buying the first season and then don't release the rest. I too am hoping for Season Two to be out soon! Any word yet?

Eric

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yeah, I'm hoping too they haven't forgotten it completely but maybe saved it for this Halloween as I think Paramount's not really having an awful lot of classic genre (television) titles in their possession, so here's a chance I don't think they should pass up being that they own this popular show. Hopefully it's been remastered/HD-transferred.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Quote:
I hate to be the one to say this but... Don't hold your breath.
Gary "my crystal ball does not see a second season in the near future, unfortunately" O.
Gary, I hope you are wrong and they release Second Season by October. There will be a lot of unhappy people who put down a high price for the Official First Season only to get ripped off unable to complete a series they started! It isn't like they didn't sell any and if supply and demand are an issue, press few for the few who want it or... go the alternate route of burn on demand like the Warner Archives.

Eric

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'm hoping for a crack in the crystal ball as well. I'm not sure what CBS/P is thinking on this one, but I'm not quite convinced they have given up. It is worth commenting that A episode of One Step Beyond will be included on the Blu-Ray for Season One of Twilight Zone, so maybe they're hoping for a spike in sales based of BR sales of Zone to get another season out for One Step Beyond.

Or I may have just hit my head very hard.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat
I'm hoping for a crack in the crystal ball as well. I'm not sure what CBS/P is thinking on this one, but I'm not quite convinced they have given up. It is worth commenting that A episode of One Step Beyond will be included on the Blu-Ray for Season One of Twilight Zone, so maybe they're hoping for a spike in sales based of BR sales of Zone to get another season out for One Step Beyond.

Or I may have just hit my head very hard.
Well, CBS has been stretching out the classic tv releases, so who knows when the next OSB release might be - look at the gap between seasons 4 and for of Have Gun,Wll Travel.

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
I looked at the Blu-Ray specs of Twilight Zone and I don't see any One Step Beyond episode on that list. Which episode was rumored to be included?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Trevtpir
I looked at the Blu-Ray specs of Twilight Zone and I don't see any One Step Beyond episode on that list. Which episode was rumored to be included?
OK, time to admit a mis-read that I should have checked on BEFORE I dd the posts - it's not One Step Beyond, it's Tales of Tomorrow included with Twilight Zone Blu-Ray. My apologies for the mistake. Anyway, it's a Tales of Tomorrow episode called What You Need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks