One Step Beyond -- Restored! (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry-N said:
Hmmm...This press release lists 22 episodes in the first season, yet the old stand-by book FANTASTIC TELEVISION by Gerani & Shulman lists 30 episodes in the first season.
Which one is correct?
Harry
That's a good question. With three seasons and ninety-seven episodes, I am uncertain which is correct. I see that the release is careful to write "There were a total of three seasons and 97 episodes; this first set will contain the first 22 installments that aired from January 1959 to June 1959"; and "The Official First Season."
Although I cannot find any inkling of "Season One, Vol. 1" (thankfully) on the box, maybe they will elect to distribute them in numbered collections (such as 1-4)? Assuming the box art and wording is correct, seventy-five episodes will remain after this first set is released, leaving (e.g.) three collections of twenty-five episodes each? Hmmm.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
When I bought the Mill Creek set, I found this episode guide online.
One Step Beyond
But since it's in production order, here it is in airdate order:
Season 1 - 22 episodes
Bride Possessed (20 Jan 1959)
Night Of April 14th (27 Jan 1959)
Emergency Only (3 Feb 1959)
The Dark Room (10 Feb 1959)
Twelve Hours To Live (17 Feb 1959)
Epilogue (24 Feb 1959)
The Dream (3 Mar 1959)
Premonition (10 Mar 1959)
Dead Part Of The House (17 Mar 1959)
The Vision (24 Mar 1959)
The Devil's Laughter (31 Mar 1959)
Return Of Mitchell Campion (7 Apr 1959)
The Navigator (14 Apr 1959)
The Secret (21 Apr 1959)
The Aerialist (28 Apr 1959)
The Burning Girl (5 May 1959)
The Haunted U-Boat (12 May 1959)
Image Of Death (19 May 1959)
The Captain's Guests (26 May 1959)
Echo (2 Jun 1959)
The Front Runner (9 Jun 1959)
The Riddle (16 Jun 1959)
Season 2 - 39 episodes
Delusion (15 Sep 1959)
Ordeal On Locust Street (22 Sep 1959)
Brainwave (6 Oct 1959)
Doomsday (13 Oct 1959)
Night Of The Kill (20 Oct 1959)
The Inheritance (27 Oct 1959)
The Open Window (3 Nov 1959)
Message From Clara (10 Nov 1959)
Forked Lightning (17 Nov 1959)
Reunion (24 Nov 1959)
Dead Ringer (1 Dec 1959)
The Stone Cutter (8 Dec 1959)
Father Image (15 Dec 1959)
Make Me Not A Witch (22 Dec 1959)
The Hand (29 Dec 1959)
The Justice Tree (5 Jan 1960)
Earthquake (12 Jan 1960)
Forests Of The Night (19 Jan 1960)
Call From Tomorrow (26 Jan 1960)
Who Are You? (2 Feb 1960)
The Day The World Wept - The Lincoln Story (9 Feb 1960)
The Lovers (16 Feb 1960)
Vanishing Point (23 Feb 1960)
The Mask (1 Mar 1960)
The Haunting (8 Mar 1960)
The Explorer (15 Mar 1960)
The Clown (22 Mar 1960)
I Saw You Tomorrow (5 Apr 1960)
Encounter (12 Apr 1960)
The Peter Hurkos Story (Part 1) (19 Apr 1960)
The Peter Hurkos Story (Part 2) (26 Apr 1960)
Delia (3 May 1960)
The Visitor (10 May 1960)
Gypsy (17 May 1960)
Contact (24 May 1960)
The Lonely Room (31 May 1960)
House Of The Dead (7 Jun 1960)
Good-Bye Grandpa (14 Jun 1960)
The Storm (21 Jun 1960)
Season 3 - 35 episodes
Tidal Wave (30 Aug 1960)
Anniversary Of A Murder (27 Sep 1960)
The Death Waltz (4 Oct 1960)
The Return (11 Oct 1960)
If You See Sally (18 Oct 1960)
Moment Of Hate (25 Oct 1960)
To Know The End (1 Nov 1960)
The Trap (15 Nov 1960)
The Voice (22 Nov 1960)
The Promise (29 Nov 1960)
Tonight At 12:17 (6 Dec 1960)
Where Are They? (13 Dec 1960)
Legacy Of Love (20 Dec 1960)
Rendezvous (27 Dec 1960)
The Executioner (3 Jan 1961)
The Last Round (10 Jan 1961)
Dead Man's Tale (17 Jan 1961)
The Sacred Mushroom (24 Jan 1961)
The Gift (31 Jan 1961)
Person Unknown… (7 Feb 1961)
Night Of Decision (21 Feb 1961)
The Stranger (28 Feb 1961)
Justice (7 Mar 1961)
The Face (14 Mar 1961)
That Room Upstairs (21 Mar 1961)
Signal Received (4 Apr 1961)
The Confession (11 Apr 1961)
The Avengers (25 Apr 1961)
The Prisoner (2 May 1961)
Blood Flower (16 May 1961)
The Sorcerer (23 May 1961)
The Villa (6 Jun 1961)
The Tiger (20 Jun 1961)
The Nightmare (27 Jun 1961)
Eye Witness (4 Jul 1961)
Why do I suspect CBS will break up Seasons 2 and 3 into volumes? ;)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
Hmmm...This press release lists 22 episodes in the first season, yet the old stand-by book FANTASTIC TELEVISION by Gerani & Shulman lists 30 episodes in the first season.
Which one is correct?
Harry
There are 3 different places on the internet where you can readily find the answer to most episodic questions:
One Step Beyond (a Titles & Air Dates Guide)
New Page 1
One Step Beyond on TV.com - Free Full Episodes & Clips, & Show Info
Not to mention IMDB which also has episode listings for many series.
Unfortunately, misinformation tends to get copied from one source to another. Case in point is an episode of the series Stars over Hollywood which somehow has gotten lumped in as a OSB episode entitled Midnight. No idea how this happened but this is not a real episode, nor has it ever been. There were 96 real OSB shows made.
Regarding the opening, I'm hearing it will be the traditional syndicated OSB opening.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
CBS/Paramount releasing One Step Beyond is nice. It's probably the most obscure B&W show they've done to date. I guess the show had more of a chance than most of being released given its genre; horror/sci fi always seems popular. I doubt other obscure B&W shows that CBS/Paramount owns, like The Millionaire and Ben Casey, will be as lucky.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Definitely interested..... I don't think I've ever seen a single episode, but I'm a huge Twilight Zone/Outer Limits fan, so I imagine I'd enjoy it well enough. Hopefully this "official" release will be top notch.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I only remember the episode about the 1906 SF earthquake. Good stuff.
On the definitely will buy list.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Anybody seen the DVDs yet? Am praying that Paramount didn't touch Harry Lubin's music -- if so, this is a "no buy" for me.

If the original music IS intact, this should be one of the best TV-on-DVD sets of the year. My local station still runs old, beat-up, scratched-up edited prints of ONE STEP BEYOND -- seeing the episodes in restored form would be a real treat.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Here's a review.

If the picture & sound are as good as he says (he goes on ... and on ... about how great it looks and sounds), why only a "C+" rating?

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Here's a review.

If the picture & sound are as good as he says (he goes on ... and on ... about how great it looks and sounds), why only a "C+" rating?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /forum/thread/289077/one-step-beyond-restored#post_3572102
Regarding the opening, I'm hearing it will be the traditional syndicated OSB opening.
When you say "traditional" syndicated opening, do you mean the syndicated opening that dates back to the ''60s (which was shown for decated) or the redone 'modern' one (I think a redone one accompanied Sci-Fi Channel or other airings in the '90s).
One would hope it would, at least, be the 'original' syndicated opening rather than the computer-generated one.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
I've now found several online reviews of it ... but none of them mention if the original Harry Lubin background music is intact. (One reviewer does make note of his theme song, though.)

Can anyone confirm: Original music all there?

And: Where can you buy it other than online? (None of my local Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Borders, or Barnes & Noble stores are carrying it ... and I'm in a large metropolitan area! What's up with the poor distribution to stores?)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I picked up the ONE STEP BEYOND release today and have had only a moment or two to skim through a few episodes.

Picture quality is amazing - good black & white with rich, deep blacks. Audio quality has a bit of a splashiness to it, not uncommon for something of this age.

The main title sequence is the one common in syndication, with Newland's standard intro followed by the starfield, the descending chords in the music as "ONE" "STEP" "BEYOND" appears.

The first disc contains a bonus section that includes a promo, the original Alcoa opening, and a title sequence for the 1990's version.

I managed to check out some end credits. Most seem intact with a noticeable edit in the flow of the music. I don't recall if there was some "Alcoa" element there that may have been edited out. One end credit screen faded a bit early and went to the CBS/Paramount logo screen.

As far as I can tell at this point, and I really haven't watched much at all, Harry Lubin's score is intact.

For the record, I found the set at one of my local Best Buy stores. Not all in the area were listing it in the online inventory, but about half of the stores around here had it listed.

Harry

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Thank you for the advance notification of just what can be expected Harry!

I received word yesterday that my copy has been shipped which means it will likely arrive sometime later today.

It really sounds exciting that this exeptional anthology dramatic tv series will be in superior condition much more than we have been generally accustomed to seeing.

Well, season two (1959-60) of ONE STEP BEYOND anyone?

Jeff T.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Today, in addition to the pilot, I watched the episode entitled "Premonition." It seems that this is one that stuck in my mind so many years ago, dealing with a young girl who "sees" a chandelier falling on her as she dances underneath it. Somehow that image stuck with me, and I recalled it while watching THE AVENGERS "Death's Door", dealing with a similar calamity.
The picture quality was just stunning, looking crisp and as though it had been filmed yesterday. The young actress playing the child version of the main character turned out to be Beverly Washburn, who had quite a child-actress career in the '50s. She later appeared in STAR TREK as the short-haired ensign who complains of hearing loss in "The Deadly Years."
1000x800px-LL-cap006.JPG

Here's a screen shot of the "ALCOA PRESENTS" opening:
1000x800px-LL-cap007.JPG

The pilot episode is presented twice on the first disc. When you select the episode, you can pick the extended version or the standard-length one. The standard-length one has had a better restoration done on it, while the extended one is of a lesser quality.
It's a treat to see the "next week" promos at the conclusion of each episode.
Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry,
Wow, great catch on Beverly Washburn. I will have to look for that if I ever see this episode.
I don't own the restored episodes, but I do enjoy my Mill Creek set.
Incidentally, I own just about every episode of The Avengers. "Death's Door" is easily a favorite of mine.
Your mentioning the episode "Premonition" brought to mind the episode of the same name ("The Premonition") from the original The Outer Limits. And that too featured a child actress in it -- although she was moving at a much slower rate of time for quite a bit of the episode!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /forum/thread/289077/one-step-beyond-restored/30#post_3606820
I don't own the restored episodes, but I do enjoy my Mill Creek set.
Don't walk, RUN to your nearest retailer or online site and grab this first-season. The quality difference between this new official release and the Mill Creek "mess" is far greater than you can imagine.
This set is expensive. Make no mistake about it. I paid around $40 to get it on day-of-release at the local Best Buy. For 22 half-hour episodes, that's pretty pricey. But considering the alternative of being stuck with the PD releases for the rest of my life - it's worth whatever they want to charge to my way of thinking.
Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Harry-N /forum/thread/289077/one-step-beyond-restored/30#post_3606823
Don't walk, RUN to your nearest retailer or online site and grab this first-season. The quality difference between this new official release and the Mill Creek "mess" is far greater than you can imagine.
This set is expensive. Make no mistake about it. I paid around $40 to get it on day-of-release at the local Best Buy. For 22 half-hour episodes, that's pretty pricey. But considering the alternative of being stuck with the PD releases for the rest of my life - it's worth whatever they want to charge to my way of thinking.
Harry
Harry,
"I can imagine quite a lot." ;)
Seriously, it sounds like quite a set. I just dropped around $500 on the Beatles music, so I'm taking a break from purchases for a while. So maybe a very slow jaunt to my nearest retailer will suffice.
I have put this one on my list. I love the episodes of One Step Beyond I have seen thus far.
And now, borrowing a tad from Mr. Serling --
Submitted for your approval:
http://www.televisiontunes.com/One_Step_Beyond_-_Ending.html
[That was odd. I currently have Love Me Do playing, and that track and the theme to One Step Beyond are both G-mode works -- the former in major, and the latter in minor. Luckily, I caught the One Step Beyond theme in time before there was an inevitable clash of the blues. ;)]

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I hear you. I'm in the same "Beatles boat" - but I also bought the proverbial bullet and grabbed ONE STEP BEYOND too. In fact, my mono box set arrived yesterday, the same day that I picked up ONE STEP BEYOND. Since I'd already heard some samples of the mono set, it wasn't as imperative to open. Nonetheless, I did indeed open that mono set this morning after looking at a couple of ONE STEP BEYOND episodes!

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks