What's new

One of my favorite NES games of all time (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
Does anybody remeber a game called Startropics?

It about boy named Mike Jones who was set on visiting his uncle. He discovers that is uncle has been missing and armed with a yo-yo (yes a yo-yo) he travels many different islands in a submarine. fighting creature in a Zelda type style but it was linear stages.

There was a sequel in the last days of NES, that wasnt very good but it was decent.

Startropics was made and published by nintendo, also it had the best ending for the NES system

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Have you played it recently? I actually picked it up a few months ago, based on the fond memories I had renting it back in the day. The story is still cool but unfortunately in my opinion, the control hasn't aged well. I find the control is very stiff in dungeons and hopping in an direction can only be accomplished by jumping across things.

also it had the best ending for the NES system
I will certainly agree that it had ONE of the best and longest endings to a NES game.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Great game, but the sequel just didn't have what the original did.

I still remember trying to figure out what the hell it was talking about with the letter in chapter 4. A bit of a problem for anyone who rented the game without the inserts though.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ha, I was going to mention that Chris. I played StarTropics solely on rentals and that happened to me before.

I LOVED StarTropics when it first came out, and I'm not really sure why, because they game wasn't that great, but it was fun in its way. Somebody want to detail this fantabulous ending? I made it all the way to the ship at the end but never had time to finish it, and would be curious to know how it turned out.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
NES Games are just a great time in general.
Let's not over-exaggerate/sentementalise... Like most "retro" platforms, when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad? It was oh so bad in a way few modern games can manage.

There were over 800 NES games released in the US... I'm pretty sure you're only playing the best of them and wouldn't be having anywhere near as much fun playing some of the depths of the back catalogue.

I've got a NES & a bunch of carts that I've acquired in the past year, and have had a lot of fun with them. But I'm not about to call everything about the NES great because of it. Heck, I love "my" growing up platforms - the Speccy & the C64, but I'll be the first to admit there was a hell of a lot of dross in amongst the classics.

Of course, I may be just reading too much into your comment :)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Actually Jason, you're quite correct, there were equally hideous adult NES games. I just choose not to mention them ;). BMX XXX is one of the first so-called adult (adult meaning aimed at teenage boys :p)) titles that came from a huge publisher though.

Besides, everybody else has tried to capitalize on that notoriety, why can't I? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks