What's new

One audio output going to two different speaker inputs. (1 Viewer)

ryank262

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
So I have a 52" Toshiba Regza, and it only has one analog audio output on it. I have a receiver which is currently connected to the tv output, and also a subwoofer which has the red/white inputs, but theres no way to get sound to that because my receiver doesn't have any outputs on it and the tv's outputs are being used by the receiver. My question is, could I use two y-cables like in the link below to split the audio to two different speakers and have audio coming out of both at the same time?

What I'm thinking is, buy two of the y-cables plug one into the white output and then both of the white cables going to the different speakers into the other end of the y-cable, and do the same with the red. Could I get both of them playing at the same time?

Here's the y-cable:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103862#

Sorry it's a bit confusing, but any help would be great.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Splitting signals like that is generally not a good idea. But it sounds like you're tapping into a non-amplified outout on your TV. If it's not amped then it shouldn't hurt anything. (If it is amped it will cause the amplifier to see less resistance and possible fry the amp.)

But many subs that have a R/W input also have a left/right speaker outputs. If so, a better solution would be to leave the TV to receiver as is, but send the receiver's speaker output to the sub, then use the subs speaker output to go to the left/right speakers.

If you provide model#s of your TV, receiver, and sub we might be able to better help.

ryank262

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I have a Toshiba Regza 52" TV (52RV530U):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253145

Here's the connectors:

HDMI Digital Inputs: 4 (1 Side)

ColorStream HD Component Video Inputs: 2

Front A/V / Rear A/V / Rear S-Video: 1/1/1

High Res PC Input (S-XGA, 15 pin, D-sub)

IR Pass Through

Analog Audio Out (Fixed)

Dolby Digital Optical Output

And my super old reciever which is a Yamaha RX-360 here's the backside:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image.php?image=1597832&is_user=0

On the receiver there's two speaker wire thingies on the left side, maybe those our outputs?

Hope this helps.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Toshiba site is less than friendly, so I had trouble finding manuals. But what I did find shows that the TV's audio output is an unamplified output. So it can't go directly to a speaker. You didn't mention your sub model, and that's the one I could use the most.

But, it seems you're just trying to get sound from your TV amped. So just take the TV's audio output (R/W) and connect it to the receiver's Aux input. That should give you better stereo sound. (Turn down the TV's sound when you use the receiver.)

If your sub has speaker outputs like I mentioned then you could use that too. Let us know the subs model or connections.

ryank262

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Okay so I took the other sub back and got a new one and this one has outputs to speakers like you said. It has +/- Left/Right inputs and +/- Left/Right outputs. My amplifier's outputs are all in use so if I take out the the front speakers and connect the now open amplifier output to the subwoofer input, then I could connect the front speakers to the subwoofers outputs right? This would essentially solve my original problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks