What's new

omnidirectional TV antenna (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried one of the outside TV antennas that look like giant Frisbee? Are they any good?

Channel Master 3000
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?CAT=Antennas TV&PROD=ANC3000

My basic cable picture sucks and I'm tired of paying for it.
I need an either an omnidirectional antenna or an antenna with a rotor as my local stations are in 3 different directions. And I don't want to use a rotor because I want to be able to record at least 2 channels (in different directions) at the same time. The stations are only 10-20 miles away.

Brian IA

Auditioning
I'v spent the last couple of months experimenting with various antennas for Digital/HD over the air reception. If you will give me a general idea of your location in relationship to the transmitters, I can let you know what I have learned. Here is a good place to start: (URL removed by Forum.) Sorry, forum wont let me post URL's yet. Type "AntennaWeb" into your favorite search engine and should find a site that will let you enter your address and it will show you the stations you should receive and the "color" of antenna that should work. (That will make more sense when you get to the site)

BV

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Julian, I've seen those type of antennas but I don't know about their effectiveness. I know Winegard makes that type of antenna and they're a quality company. I put up a Winegard directional antenna and it's great. It's a shame the towers are scattered like that. You should check out Avsforum.com for some info. and opinions.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Yes, antennaweb is our friend. :) here is my chart for the closest stations:
* is digital

* yellow - uhf WRDW-DT 12.1 CBS AUGUSTA GA 114° 10.4 31
* yellow - uhf WAGT-DT 30.1 NBC AUGUSTA GA 115° 11.1 30
green - uhf WAGT 26 NBC AUGUSTA GA 110° 10.5 26
green - vhf WJBF 6 ABC AUGUSTA GA 115° 11.1 6
* green - uhf WJBF-DT 42.1 ABC AUGUSTA GA 115° 11.1 42
* green - vhf WCES-DT 2 PBS WRENS GA 234° 20.9 2
green - vhf WRDW 12 CBS AUGUSTA GA 115° 10.5 12
green - uhf WFXG 54 FOX AUGUSTA GA 111° 10.8 54
* green - uhf WFXG-DT 54.1 FOX AUGUSTA GA 111° 10.8 51
lt green - uhf WBEK-CA 16 UPN AUGUSTA GA 317° 1.5 16
lt green - uhf WCES 20 PBS WRENS GA 234° 20.9 20

Right now I have no digital capability, but I will have to when the stations drop analog.

Crap, I had this chart all lined up in my post, but it's buggered on here. Basically MOST are at 110 degrees & 10 miles but PBS and UPN are in differen directions.

Brian IA

Auditioning
Which ever antenna you choose now will work just dandy later as they transition to digital. Don't worry about the "digital ready" bs on the boxes. The antenna your grandpa had up decades ago was "digital ready" Your in close enough that if your able to roof mount, and your not blocked in by any giant buildings, most anything will work. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of trial an error do to every location being different. One issue to look at is you have a couple of "VHF" channels to deal with. Those general need a large, ugly antenna, but your pretty close, so one of the good 'UHF only' models should work fine. I would go with either a Channel Master 4221 or the Wingard equivalent which is a PR4400. The Winguard site has a nice chart showing their antenna models and various ranges. Always try and error on the long side of the distance.

Having rambled on long enough, that model you inquired about might work fine. I would be sure its an amplified version if you do go that route. The Winguard model similar to the Channel Master is a MS-2000.

Good luck with the project,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks