What's new

OMG! Werewolf: The Series (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One would think they would have obtained all the clearances before announcing the release.

Seems like a bass-ackwards way to conduct business.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

One would think they would have obtained all the clearances before announcing the release.

Seems like a bass-ackwards way to conduct business.
Wouldn't be atypical for Shout.

supes78

Agent
Real Name
Seby
Man, this sucks. Why would Shout announce a release date and go to all the trouble of producing this DVD set if they hadn't resolved the music issues? I would think that would be the first hurdle to overcome when pursuing an 80s TV series without any prearranged home video music rights.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
odds are they weren't told ahead that there's no separate music and voice tracks and thought what couldn't get cleared could be replaced.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
A fan of the show has just posted the following breaking news on the Yahoo Groups for this show:

In what is probably the worst news I've heard in a while, "Werewolf: The TV Series" will NOT be coming to DVD due to legal battles over some of the [COLOR= green ! important]music[/COLOR] used within the series. Yep. This sucks.

The webmaster of werewolftv.com just sent out the following to the members of the Werewolf Yahoo group:

"A manager has responsibilities that can cover tasks they like and don't like. For example, writing people up and/or firing them is part of their duty to perform and most people do not like that aspect of their role. As webmaster and forum moderator, I too share this burden of responsibility to do things I do not like.

It is with great sadness that I must deliver the devastating news that the Werewolf TV Series will NOT be released to DVD. The Shout Factory has had to abandon the project and give the series back to Sony.

The Shout Factory had to cancel the release because of two artists (which will remain unnamed) that would not play ball. Sony does not have the individual audio tracks, so they were unable to replace the songs, as the audio was mixed together. The two songs were featured over dialogue scenes that could not be cut. The Shout Factory's only option, even after spending a lot of time and money on it, was to cancel it and give the title back to Sony. If Sony had the audio tracks, it would have been easy to replace the two songs.

The Shout Factory and Sony are not at fault. This has happened due to the greediness of the music industry.

So, twenty two years after the Werewolf series hit the airwaves, the fan made copies of the original run and reruns will be the only testament of this great series along with the [COLOR= green ! important]web [/COLOR][COLOR= green ! important]site[/COLOR] I have put together."

Hey, at least Shout! Factory tried to get the rights to the music, unlike a certain company that claims that they "put classic TV on a pedestal".

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am not a fan of this show, but for me this again speaks volumes as to how Shout! has the most undeserved reputation for greatness in these kinds of circles. "At least they tried?" If they had bothered to do things right they would have researched this issue FROM THE START and not jerked fans of this title around for months on end to give them no advance inkling that this kind of scenario would happen. But maybe you "Werewolf" fans will now understand why us "Ironside" fans loathe this company, because we were jerked around in a similar fashion regarding the future status of that title. And it's interesting how in typical Shout! fashion their representative is NOT the first person to break this news on their own site.

And even when they do get a title right, as with "Adam-12" they end up putting out shoddy pressings as I had to discover twice. When it comes to deciding which company has ultimately done a better job overall, I'd still pick CBS/Paramount in a heartbeat even with the screw-up they did on latter seasons of "The Odd Couple" because they at least balance that out with more titles done right (and COMPLETED) than Shout! will ever lay claim to.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jack P

And it's interesting how in typical Shout! fashion their representative is NOT the first person to break this news on their own site.
Who is far more talented than that loser Roy Braverman, the man who was hired as the music director for "The Fugitive" Season 2 Vol. 1. You are under no condition to tell anyone to stop supporting SF. You hear me!

I love it Jack, how you make it out to seem like SF knew this title so well from the very beginning, when they didn't. And I also love it how you act like you know the company so well more than anyone else online. That should tell me all I need to know about you.

And I have every right to say "At least they tried". You are under no condition to force me not to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jack, you've made it completely and repeatedly clear that you HATE Shout Factory but it's not hard to understand why people like them- they release titles that other companies leave sit on the shelf. I think most people will take a company that releases (or, in this case, tried to release) titles over a company that doesn't even make an attempt. Like every company, Shout has made mistakes but I'll put their track record up against any other company and I bet they almost always come out as good or better than any other company out there.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You want to watch Ironside, tune into your local RTN station. it's on everyday at 10 a.m. in my neighborhood.

If anyone is to blame for this tease and yank of Werewolf, it's the former folks at Sony who for some unknown reason didn't keep separate versions of the dialogue, music and SFX tracks in the vault. Guess there must have been that plucky MBA learning executive who swore the company could save so much cash in storage by dumping them and just keeping the one master tape.

far as why Shout! didn't put out a press release and this guy scooped them - it's easier for a webmaster to post stuff since he doesn't have to have it approved by other folks at the company and legal.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001
Who is far more talented than that loser Roy Braverman, the man who was hired as the music director for "The Fugitive" Season 2 Vol. 1. You are under no condition to tell anyone to stop supporting SF. You hear me!
No one is "telling you" to do anything. I merely think the flip side of Shout's track record needs to be noted if there's going to be a constant effort at creating an image of them as a company that I don't think squares with reality, especially when its done in the context of then saying their failings can be excused but let's still rate another company with a track record no better or worse if a true objective yardstick were applied as the epitome of all that is wrong with TV on DVD. And seeing this news just made me think that it's exactly what I'd expect of the company that set absolute lows for standards of customer relations PR in how they have handled a number of titles.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And re: Ironside, I don't need to watch a channel I don't get (and which is not available in most of the country)to see it, I found a better solution, but it's one we're not allowed to talk about.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I remember this show from the 80s and although I was not an avid watcher of it, I did see an episode here or there, so I did follow this thread with some interest. And unfortunately when the music smoke started rising and then the delayed release, I had a feeling this wasn't going to turn out well.

I wonder how much of the music that couldn't be cleared runs through the series. It's clear that they can't replace the music due to all the audio being on a single track, but my thought was, couldn't they just mute the audio for the scenes in question and just subtitle the dialogue. I know it's not the ideal solution, but quite possibly better than nothing. They could always have put a disclaimer in that due to legal issues some audio in the episode had to be muted, but any dialogue has been subtitled. They did something similar with the "Director's Cut" of Alien 3, where portions where the additional scenes dialogue audio was sketchy, and there was a disclaimer at the start of the film explaining that situation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still say it's unprofessional to put out a press release trumpeting the release of a product when the company apparently didn't even know whether had all the rights secured for the release.

I've been happy with the Shout releases of Mr. Belvedere, but that's my only experience with them other than this Werewolf debacle.

Apparently it must involve a significant amount of music throughout the series, or they probably could have just redubbed the dialogue (the actors are still alive, yes?).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I still say it's unprofessional to put out a press release trumpeting the release of a product when the company apparently didn't even know whether had all the rights secured for the release.
Well, it's hard to say exactly what might have happened. It's not unheard of for deals to go South at the last minute. The company I work for recently announced a huge acquisition deal. It's been announced and all that, but technically, until the deal is closed sometime next year, anything can happen.

Maybe Shout! had the rights they thought they needed, but then the artist or publisher says "we don't like this deal anymore" and make up anything to invalidate the contract. Whatever claim might be meritless, but it gets lawyers back involved and drags out the process. Then, Shout! decides instead of incurring a whole legal process for an extreme cult show from the 80's decides to bag the whole deal.

supes78

Agent
Real Name
Seby
I love that Shout has been releasing shows that most of mainstream have forgotten about but this incident is a huge black eye for their reputation as far as I'm concerned. There's really no excuse for a home video company making sure that the music clearance was taken care of before proceeding with anything else. I'm sure this was a learning experience for them too since they lost a ton of money producing the extras paying the actors and crew for their time. Such a shame.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Frankly, I'd just like to know which 2 "artists" are doing the stonewalling. I'd boycot 'em in a second... not because I want Werewolf released but because this smacks of greed and a total disrespect of people who put them where they are in the first place.

I don't blame Shout nor Sony in that "reports" are they both tried but lacked sufficient muscle or resources to come through in the end. Yes, Sony could have kept separate audio masters... BUT did they ever exist? It may be the original studio/producer(s) that chose to not keep the separate master tracks in the first place. Yes, Shout could have done more up front research, but they were offered a title by Sony and in good faith started production. I'm sure that originally both Sony and Shout didn't think there'd be a problem.

Again... who's *really* to blame... The 2 "artists" that would not play ball in an attempt to gouge the masses.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Again... who's *really* to blame... The 2 "artists" that would not play ball in an attempt to gouge the masses.
I tend to think that you're right but to play devil's advocate, you don't know that Shout didn't offer an amount that was nowhere near what they normally get for their music.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Jack P

No one is "telling you" to do anything. I merely think the flip side of Shout's track record needs to be noted if there's going to be a constant effort at creating an image of them as a company that I don't think squares with reality, especially when its done in the context of then saying their failings can be excused but let's still rate another company with a track record no better or worse if a true objective yardstick were applied as the epitome of all that is wrong with TV on DVD. And seeing this news just made me think that it's exactly what I'd expect of the company that set absolute lows for standards of customer relations PR in how they have handled a number of titles.
Jack’s not a “hater” of Shout, and neither am I.

In this case, Shout just made a mistake (as, apparently, did Sony) – maybe more than one – and, like anyone else, they are entitled to the occasional mistake.

I have no interest in Werewolf, but am sorry for those who do and share their pain as an Ironside fan.

Shout’s done its share of good things – and I give it props for those things – but I must agree with Jack that their reputation on these boards often seems in excess of the reality.

They did a fine job with McHale’s Navy (to name one title in my collection – a “completed” title, I might add), and they’ve done a poor job with Ironside.

Yet, they remain darlings for transgressions that would forever damn FOX, Warner, and CBS / Paramount.

Little isn’t always good and Big isn’t always bad! They’re all good and they’re all bad in their own ways. That’s all there is to it. And I should be able to say this without being branded a hater of Shout.

And, to the two bands/artists that screwed up Werewolf for its fans… So, exactly WHAT does denying this gain you?! Are you going to sell those songs to SOME OTHER old TV show for more? Doesn’t make any sense!

And the names of those two bands/artists SHOULD be made public! We should at least know whom to support… or not support, as the case may be.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the artists that said no to SF was Mike and the Mechanics (the song in question was "Silent Running"). I honestly know very little about the band, and the aforementioned song that was used on the 2-hour pilot for the series.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by TravisR

I tend to think that you're right but to play devil's advocate, you don't know that Shout didn't offer an amount that was nowhere near what they normally get for their music.
Yes, that may very well be true. But I tend to think of music in a TV program, especially in a DVD release, as a sort of promotional thing. People hear it, maybe like it, and go out and purchase a copy. You don't make your money on the inclusion of the track but on sales to people who've found something new. Unfortunately you have the artist, publishing house, label, and maybe more all wanting a piece of the pie. Any one of them can say no to the terms and thus hold up or cause a release to be canceled. What I've read is that the fee is typically ~$.10/per track per disk. With a music heavy show this can quickly add up to more than a release would be worth and more than what it could realistically be sold for. And that's with the "typical" fee. Again, I see it as pure greed. While I usually assign obscene music cost blame to labels or publishing houses the article I read specifically stated "artists". As to whether or not it's what they would "normally" get... it's a DVD release. Unless it's a concert DVD people don't purchase it to hear the music as it's just a support for the play. Yes, it's sometimes a substantial support, but let's go back to the promotional aspect. You really have to ask just how many "classic rock" artists sold CDs, etc. because of music in a program like "The Wonder Years". Yet another series mired in music rights gouging. If you're an artist, save the high price for your concert tickets or if you're a label/publishing house, hope the inclusion of "your" music in a DVD release sells a few more CDs or iTunes tracks. Handled correctly it can be a win for all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks