What's new

Omega Man and "I Am Legend" (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
If I remember correctly Omega Man was a B movie. Heston was starting the downside of his career.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Smith's talent is among the most underappreciated megastars. His performance in Michael Mann's Ali is truly staggering. He consistently brings nuance and detail to roles that do not require them. And Francis Lawrence can direct like a mother; I'm very excited for this one.

Regards,
Nathan

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in the theater when I was 9, and I absolutely loved it, and still do. This is admittedly due to nostalgia, most likely, but thank God! I don't recall it being any kind of groundbreaking film then and I'm pretty sure it wasn't viewed well in its day either. However, it may fare better today than it did then; it's become a real cult favorite and many people come from out of the woodwork to say they enjoy it.

I'll agree that the mutants aren't very threatening (though they felt so when I was a kid) but the "dated" thing is something I just don't usually gravitate toward in films. If the world had ended in the '70s (as in THE OMEGA MAN) that's probably how people would look, dress, act. It's like watching a Western and saying it's dated because it takes place in 1888.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just wish they'd stop making them "mutants." In the original story, they're vampires. Why does every film adaptation keep changing them?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that vampires are overexposed (zombies are now overexposed, too), I do think that the film should use vampires because the book is largely fueled by the notion that Neville going around and exterminating them all, right down to women and children, is the most natural thing in the world. Hey, why not, they're vampires! I don't know if mutants quite give you that.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
by now this should be having more info on the sites but not a lot is out yet, personally i am ok with smith in the role, he can act his ass off when he needs to, but i think the problem is the script, and another deviation from the book, Zombies, na dont think so, this isnt 28 days or weeks later, its not an action picture, what would have been great is if Frank Darabont, would have updated the script that Matheson wrote, not as in the time that it takes place, just a few tweaks here and there, and then have David Fincher direct with Smith, then we could really call this I am Legend, right now it sounds like anything but the book.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The novel by Richard Matheson is an internalized thriller. We're inside Neville's head from beginning to end. A man sits in a barricaded house and is haunted by memories. The memories are flashbacks to the slowly escalating pestilence that kills everything he loves. Sometimes the memories of his wife seem like they're happening in the moment. Meanwhile, outside, frail, inarticulate vampires howl for his blood in voices that he recognizes from when they were human. Silence and loneliness are palpable. When a one-on-one confrontations occur with a vampire or a number of vampires, Neville finds it painful. The book is about how he feels as he faces this ordeal.

I Am Legend is an austere narrative that builds suspense and dread on character and atmosphere. An accurate film adaptation should play on dramatic minimalism. It evokes instead of explains. It's a chamber play, not an action movie. Roaring motorcycles, big explosions, charging helicopters, and elaborate set pieces will only diminish the story's power. Why ruin that which draws us to the story in the first place. I could see it as an Ingmar Bergman film, or even an M. Night Shymalan film.

There's plenty of blood-letting, but it's not about gore or disgusting make-up either. People's bodies are drying up and drying out as the vampire bacillus slowly kills them, like the hot dry wind that Matheson describes sweeping over the city.

In the absence of Charlton Heston, who was perfectly cast in a bad adaptation, I can't think of an actor who is right for the part off-hand, but I'm absolutely sure that Will Smith is wrong. He's a shallow talent who projects ego, vanity, and narcissism -- not qualities that define the character of Neville.

Egbert Souse

Agent
Real Name
Scott
The Omega Man was released,I believe in 1999,by Warner Home Video,it`s one of the first dvd`s I bought when I started collecting.I saw it when I was a kid at the drive-in theatre,enjoyed it then and still do.I prefer it to I Am Legend,although I like this movie too.The dvd of Omega Man is readily available on Ebay,and I think I seen a copy of it at Target,not too long ago.
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/6d/htf_imgcache_7509.jpeg] [/url]

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
richard, you put my feelings about this project into words :laugh: that's exactly how i feel about it =)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nicely said Richard. I agree Smith ain't the one to make this how it should be. That's a shame. Done right this could be kind of like Brazil but without the humor. Very strange and magical experience. We won't be getting that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't know a lot about this remake. One thing I noticed in the teaser trailer is that it looks to pay some homage to the Heston Omega Man with the Will Smith character driving a Mustang through the empty city as Heston had.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Cool shots of a desolated NYC. And they're showing the city before the infection spread.

Say what you will about Will or about this remake but I'm so there. I love these type of movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks