What's new

Olympus has Fallen Quick Review (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
To each his own as I almost couldn't watch that film from beginning to end.
At least "LAH" didn't make an Oscar-winning actress shout the Pledge of Allegiance while being led to her possible doom! :lol:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
At least "LAH" didn't make an Oscar-winning actress shout the Pledge of Allegiance while being led to her possible doom! :lol:
That was one of the best parts for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
It was like a spoof of action movies, but I think they wanted us to take it seriously...
I enjoyed the movie but the flag flying at the end almost made me laugh outloud. It was like in the last 10 seconds, the movie decided it wanted to be a tribute to America and the people who serve her. When they did the same thing at the end of Saving Private Ryan, I found that to be beautiful and fitting but when you do it at the end of this movie, it just comes off as laughable.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Colin Jacobson said:
I saw that as the movie portraying a no-nonsense woman who was just as tough as the men and wouldn't back down (unless ordered, which she was earlier). It was certainly a RAH RAH America! moment, but I think it worked in the context of what came before.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
That was one of the best parts for me.
Different strokes and all that - I thought it was ridiculous! :lol:

I also loved the scene where the bad guys used the super-high-tech weapon to shoot down the helicopters and the pilots just flew around in circles for a while. Why not go UP? Why not move away? Did they really have to wait for the acting president to finally say "retreat"? :wub:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, that was there to make a point and provide some action, nothing else. Clegg was trying to shut Banning down, which didn't work, and that whole scene served to show the "suits" were out of touch and should just be quiet. It didn't make a lot of sense, granted, but it was a "get behind Gerard Butler" moment.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Colin Jacobson said:

I actually agree with you here. I understand what they were going for (the same U.S.A. cheer throughout) but I actually cringed really bad at this one.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think you have to judge a bit on a curve. I went in expecting a popcorn flick. Is it at all plausible that North Korea could smuggle major truckloads of weapons into DC right now? No, not really. Would the helicopters have bugged out? Yes (though the idea they would have gone up wouldn't help them in the light of that fire, and they couldn't have went too far with the door ways open unless they just wanted to topple guys out).

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous, but it doesn't stop it from being at least somewhat entertaining. In comparison, the most recent die hard was ridiculous and not very entertaining. Heck, the most recent batman was incredibly ridiculous, but still entertaining.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I think you have to judge a bit on a curve. I went in expecting a popcorn flick. Is it at all plausible that North Korea could smuggle major truckloads of weapons into DC right now? No, not really. Would the helicopters have bugged out? Yes (though the idea they would have gone up wouldn't help them in the light of that fire, and they couldn't have went too far with the door ways open unless they just wanted to topple guys out).

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous, but it doesn't stop it from being at least somewhat entertaining. In comparison, the most recent die hard was ridiculous and not very entertaining. Heck, the most recent batman was incredibly ridiculous, but still entertaining.
I DO grade on a curve. I love plenty of dopey action movies - I don't expect perfect logic or intelligence from them. Cripes, I liked "Armageddon"!But the film has to create a world that - however idiotic it may be in the "real world" sense - allows me to buy into it. That didn't happen here. I felt no sense of connection to the film's universe and constantly felt bludgeoned by stupidity.

I didn't like the characters and I didn't care about the characters. The action was meh at best and didn't excite/interest me at all.

I'm really a pretty easy sell when it comes to big blow-em-up movies - I just thought this one was awful...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TravisR said:
I enjoyed the movie but the flag flying at the end almost made me laugh outloud. It was like in the last 10 seconds, the movie decided it wanted to be a tribute to America and the people who serve her. When they did the same thing at the end of Saving Private Ryan, I found that to be beautiful and fitting but when you do it at the end of this movie, it just comes off as laughable.
That was a bookend shot to an earlier one of the flag in tatters after the White House had been overrun.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Olympus, it is popcorn action flick and it delivers on what it promises. I’m glad to see this movies is an R and owns its’ R rating completely. I’m really tired of the action movies that are violent yet are sanitized so they can get a PG-13.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The body count was ridiculously high, but I'm glad it wasn't too watered down, and made use of its R rating for a "24" meets "Die Hard" at the "White House" yarn. Plenty of carnage and blustery bravado and heroic to fill 2 movies. It seems so much like an action hero vehicle for Gerard Butler, and then I saw that he had producers credits, so that made more sense to me. Even so, for a action-drama film with world ruination as the stakes, it was an entertaining couple of hours.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I wonder if people who disliked the film or are calling it ridiculous (which it is, but aren't most action films today?) don't like it because lots of Americans got their butts whooped by North Koreans. I mean, I got "upset" at all the carnage myself, even knowing I was just watching make-believe popcorn entertainment, but I hadn't had this much fun at the movies in a long time. The film brought back memories of wacky one-man-army 80's action films for me and I was totally into it from beginning to end. I didn't buy the young President thing but other than that I thought this was a crazy, violent, bloody good time at the movies. Can't wait for the Blu-ray.

There's another White House-themed action film coming up from Roland Emmerich, the director of the much-ridiculed but fun disaster flick "2012", coming up soon. If you thought "Olympus" was garbage, do yourself a favor and skip that one. Then you don't have to come on here and tear it to pieces. It's just a movie.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
This is an okay action movie. I'm a pretty jaded viewer so it was pretty predictable and bought nothing new to the table for me, but I'm not complaining because action movies are a complete shadow of what they used to be and I've come to accept that. I also liked how the movie was not afraid to show patriotism. That's really something we need more of in this day and age. Other than that, the other users have said it all.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
I wonder if people who disliked the film or are calling it ridiculous (which it is, but aren't most action films today?) don't like it because lots of Americans got their butts whooped by North Koreans. I mean, I got "upset" at all the carnage myself, even knowing I was just watching make-believe popcorn entertainment, but I hadn't had this much fun at the movies in a long time. The film brought back memories of wacky one-man-army 80's action films for me and I was totally into it from beginning to end. I didn't buy the young President thing but other than that I thought this was a crazy, violent, bloody good time at the movies. Can't wait for the Blu-ray.

There's another White House-themed action film coming up from Roland Emmerich, the director of the much-ridiculed but fun disaster flick "2012", coming up soon. If you thought "Olympus" was garbage, do yourself a favor and skip that one. Then you don't have to come on here and tear it to pieces. It's just a movie.
I didn't dislike it because of that - I didn't care about that. I disliked it for many other reasons that I've already discussed! :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
cineMANIAC said:
I didn't buy the young President thing but other than that I thought this was a crazy, violent, bloody good time at the movies.
The young president? Aaron Eckhart just turned 45. Obama was only slightly older when he got into office (48), Clinton was 47, Kennedy was 44. I didn't think there would be a problem with Echart's age!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who say it's essentially Die Hard at the White House. A bit too derivative actually, especially with the scene lifted almost directly from Die Hard:
McClane discovering Hans Gruber who pretends he's escaped capture
Butler discovering McDermott who pretends he's escaped capture
On a positive note, the movie did make me want to wrap an American flag around me and yell "America! F Yeah!" :D
Grade: C- for originality, B+ for execution

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm totally with Colin on this one. I can usually walk away from any movie with some level of satisfaction and enjoyment but this just didn't work for me.

I enjoyed the attack scene, I thought North Korea was a creative enemy (over the expected muslims), and oddly current given recent events. But after that things went downhill.

Bad CG

Bad decisions - "Give him the code to destroy all our missles at once, it's okay, he won't get it from me!" Not once, but TWICE!; Clegg yelling at Banning to stand down after failed helicopter approach because he was screwing everything up, when it was Clegg's doing...

And WTF moments, like Banning knowing access codes a year and a half after he left the White House. Those codes are probably changed monthly in real life, if not weekly.

That and the occasional over-the-top patriotism and swelling orchestral score smacked of a Roland Emmerich wannabe without the budget.

I guess I got frustrated with it early on and it never did anything to redeem itself after that. I'm shocked it's getting a 7.1 on IMDb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks