What's new

Oliver! - Where? (1 Viewer)

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Yes I will be looking at the TT release but don't want the cost of a 3rd version unless there are transfer improvements. Also be nice to see some decent chapter marks too so you can jump to the key scenes.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm guessing that the recent Australian release is probably the same as the UK and other European releases.
The Aussie Blu-ray looks very good.

It's hard to imagine that Sony would spend a lot of money creating a new HD master for International release and then do it all over again just for TT.
The isolated score might be the only difference, still I hope I'm wrong and that an even better transfer has been prepared for TT.

We will soon find out.

As a side note, though "Oliver" was advertised and presented as a Roadshow presentation at the time (late 60s), Australians were hoodwinked and actually only got to see a standard 35mm print.
I was somewhat shocked to discover this recently.
For all these years I truly believed we saw the 70mm version.

The first 70mm showing in Sydney was in April 1981.

Doug.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
From a discussion on TT's Facebook page:

The transfer will be the same [as the UK/German release] (however the authoring will be different) -- we have chapter stops with images on the pop-up menu... and a few extras unique to our release...
Also:

SAE will be adding this info to the Oliver! pre-order page - "PLEASE NOTE: As the separate music stems have not survived, the isolated score track from Oliver! has been prepared from the restored 4.0 MAG M&E -- which means that while the music sounds wonderful, there are sound effects present throughout."

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
So the TT transfer is the same as used for the currently available International Blu-rays after all.

I'll now stick with the cheaper Aussie release and forgo the different Menu, chapter stops and the separated Music/Effects track.

Those that go with the TT disc should be happy with the Picture and Sound quality.

Thanks for that info Ken. You saved me doubling up.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The international release doesn't have chapter stops at all? Or it just doesn't have a scene selection menu?

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ray H said:
The international release doesn't have chapter stops at all? Or it just doesn't have a scene selection menu?
It does have chapter stops but no scene selection menu at all - all very basic. The TT release looks like it will be addressing this point very nicely with a re-authored release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those interested in such things, the number of prints struck for the original release, beginning in the fall of 1968, was as follows:

18 70mm prints struck via optical blow-up from the original camera negatives.
All 70mm prints were struck at Tech London.

11 35mm dye transfer Fox perf prints struck in 4-track magnetic, beginning in
March of 1969

10 35mm dye transfer optical prints struck by Technicolor UK for the original
release from October of 1968 through May of 1969, with another 93 for later
dates, beginning in June of 1970.

US domestic prints were struck via dye transfer at Tech Hollywood.

What these numbers, in their most basic sense, tell us, is that the original camera negative was run at least 30 times, plus any re-prints for complete reels, as well as heads and tails of 70mm damaged in projection.

RAH

Real Name
Matt Belson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks