1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Olive announced first titles from the Republic catalog: "High Noon" and the original "Invasion of th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by SeanAx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

This is going in circles but once again, Siegel would have composed for the Allied Artists house ratio of 1.85:1.

2. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    I think the point everyone is alluding to is that since the original negative is presumed to be lost, so may be the original composition unless someone can turn up a non-Superscope print (were any even struck?)

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

See the last paragraph of post #52...

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  5. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    love those screen shots, looks like i will be keeping my old dvd just for the retrospect and few extras, but damn is olive on a classic roll,

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Don't know where it went. 16mm (all were flat) non-theatrical prints were derived from a 35 fine grain struck from the OCN.

7. Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer Well-Known Member

Richard
    This has been an interesting thread, but if my memory serves me correctly, there is a much more major controversary that will forever exist over the release version of '56 IOTBD. I am trying to remember the particulars. Can somebody help me out? I believe it deals with the film being shot full frame, blown up even further and cropped for 1:85, then cropped even more for superscope, thus removing far to much vital information. With the original negative lost, the film can never be screeend properly. I just wish I had the source reference for this information.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The film was shot on 35mm intended for 1.85:1 while in production. In post-production the studio decided to releases it 2.00:1 SuperScope instead of 1.85:1. So, of the intended area of the negative intended to be seen, the cropping was only the difference between 1.85:1 and 2.00:1. 2.00:1 is what everyone saw in theaters, and the Blu-ray preserves that. It would be great to have the original negative for obvious reasons, but at least we're not denied what was eventually the original theatrical AR, and it looks like the source for this release is in rather nice condition.

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Post #70 on this page will give you the details.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319469/aspect-ratio-research/60
    Bob

10. John Morgan

John Morgan Well-Known Member

John
    Wasn't there two sets of credits for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS? The wide screen had a SUPERSCOPE credit and the flat version didn't have that credit, but as I remember, there was no jump or cut in the music, so I assumed they prepared two sets.

11. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Oooooooo! Looking forward to both titles finally! I missed this thread till seeing it today!

13. FrancisP

FrancisP Well-Known Member

I also see that Olive is releasing Orson Welles' MacBeth on blu-ray on Sept 18. I have to admit that Olive is turning out to be a good source for blu-rays that I want.

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    Well so much for the rumors that Criterion was looking into the Welles Macbeth.

I guess this would be the original version with the scottish accents correct?

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Speaking of Criterion, it's too bad they are not doing the Body Snatchers release. I am assuming they no longer have rights to it. I'm glad I hung onto the laserdisc! It's audio commentary is a fun listen.

16. HDvision

HDvision Well-Known Member

David
    There's a spanish Pal DVD Bob, thought It's not in widescreen. It may be open matte, here's a shot of the titles I found on the web
    [​IMG]
    However, it looks like an old VHS master. There is thought a TV master showing up sometimes on cable, with a much better look, probably more recent, thought also open matte.
    [​IMG]

17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Thanks, David. It was planned for 3-D treatment but that was dropped at the eleventh hour. I had never seen the film before so I tracked down a copy and was really impressed with the film. It deserves to get more exposure.
    The transfer that I watched was open matte and it zoomed in nicely to the intended widescreen composition.