What's new

Oldest weapon in the army still in use? (1 Viewer)

justmeandagirl

Auditioning
Real Name
joseph
I think it's the Mosin-Nagant, it was developed in 1891 and it's still being used by several armies as a sniper rifle

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh dear....
In the context of this thread "the army" is in reference to the US Army. The 1891 Mosin-Nagant was selected for use by the Russian TSARIST army.
During WWI the government of the last Tsar contracted for Mosin-Nagants to be made in the US as Russian factories were behind in production. After the revolution, the Commies repudiated those contracts, leaving the US holding the bag. When the US along with other governments intervened on the White Army side of the Russian revolution, those US made Mosin-Nagants, made by Westinghouse and Remington, were supplied to US troops. These were abandoned in Russia and Finland when the US pulled out.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Henry Gale /t/138931/oldest-weapon-in-the-army-still-in-use#post_1567795
R. Lee Ermey was a Jarhead, what would he know about vintage army weapons?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I was about to mention this; but now see that I already did. Nine years ago.

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
Henry Gale said:
I was about to mention this; but now see that I already did. Nine years ago.
Its deja vous all over again! :rolleyes:
Holy necro threading Batman...:D
But no mind, its an interesting subject, I just did a double take at the OP 2003 date for the thread.
The answer though for the US Army is the M1911 .45 cal pistol, modified versions are still in service today and the M2 .50 cal machine gun modified versions still in service today as well. For major systems its probably some version of M-557 armored command posts or support vehicles based on the M113 chassis.
For the USAF its the B52 as a major platform.
For the US Navy I think its the USS Enterprise as a major platform soon to be retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks