What's new

Old-School TV & 5.1 Home Theater (1 Viewer)

expee

Auditioning
Real Name
Dj Z
Hello,

I still have an old-school TV (hardly watch any) but the sound is bothering me. So instead of spending money on a new TV I'd rather first get a home theater speaker system. I've found this 5.1 Yamaha system but I'm not sure if I can even hook it up to my TV. And even if I can, will the sound improve much?

Thanks

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If you have an old-school TV, it likely won't support a 5.1 sound on its own (few, if any, do). You will need a receiver attached to the system in order to route the sound to the speakers shown (all 6 of them). But, my guess is that you have a cable system hooked up to your old school set or some other device to convert the digital to analog signal for you to watch the set.

You will need to check the cable box/device for sound out or you may have a set that at least supports a "stereo out" or some other "audio out" that you will need to feed the aforementioned receiver with speakers.

With a receiver and the speakers you propose, yes, you will improve the sound (assuming that you can take it from a viable source such as a cable box). I won't make such a claim for the sound out from the set. It all depends on how "old" old school is, I guess.

expee

Auditioning
Real Name
Dj Z
Thanks for your help. I've attached a photo of all the inputs that I have on my TV, cable box and BlueRay player. Based on what you said, and I hopefully understood you well, a 5.1 theater should be OK with my BlueRay/Cable box. Also, instead of the Yamaha set I originally mentioned, I'll probably go with this Philips home-theater. Could you please just confirm that this combo should work fine at least in theory?

Again, thanks a lot!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
To use your current TV and DVD player you need a receiver/HTIB with a composite input (for the cable) and either an optical/coax input (for the DVD).

That Philips has neither. Plus, it's a very bad piece of equipment. (No imputs, poor speakers, low end electronics. Add you're spending money for a DVD player which you already have.)

The cable box only has low end connections. Usually they will upgrade your box if you ask. HD might cost more, but you should be able to get one with component for free. (Component will give you a fine picture that is at least as good as your current RF connection; which by the way I assume you left off the picture.) That would change the requirements of your HTIB, specifically you'd need two optical/coax inputs (which is not hard to find).

I suggest something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRDI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303212233&sr=1-3

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
The reason we recommend Onkyo HTib is the fact that they come with a real receiver with all the equipment connections you will need both for your current and future equipment, and the speakers can be upgraded in any other brand.

One thing I have noticed is Amazon has raised their prices of their Onkyo HTib I wonder what happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks