What's new

Old components with new processor (1 Viewer)

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I am setting up a system and would like to use some of my older (15+ years) hi end stereo equiptment so I can get really good stereo sounds. I have a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1s (2K 15 yrs ago), Kinergistics subs (2, each with 2 10's) the corresponding amp and crossover, and a Kinergistics KBA 75 class A stereo amp, as well as 2 other older power amps, one of which could be bridged for the center. I also have a complete, new A.E. Aegis system in the boxes (Aegis 1's and center for front, smaller rears and their sub). I could use all that stuff and just go with a decent reciever (Yamaha RX-V863?), or buy a processor (Outlaw?) and use my old stuff. Would like to shell out no more than $700.00. I am not a huge home theater nut, but do like hi end audio. Thanks and sorry for such a long first time post.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A separate processor would seem to make the most sense, but you've tossed out a lot of model numbers and I haven't exactly researched them.

Auditioning
Real Name
David
That would mean I would be running 4 different power amps out of my processor; Kingergistics KBA75 for fronts; Kinergistics SW-200 for 2 subs, also Kinergistics, a Hafler 220 for the rears, and a bridged Amber 70 for the center. Quite a hodge podge.
All speakers would be Acoustic Enery and AE Aegis.
Or, a sub $1000.00 receiver.
?????????????

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Check out the Emotiva UMC-1 due out end of June for $699. Should meet your processor needs, be within your budget and you could use all your old equipment
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thanks for the replys. I was thinking about one of the Outlaw processors, but have no idea how they are from an audiophiles standpoint. I only need 5.1, and would not use (or understand) 90% of the features these things have. I don't even know the benefits of running the TV thru the receiver/processor. Why not just cable box to TV; audio out from the cable box to the processor? Now my newbee colors are showing; but 20 years ago I knew all there was to know about high end audio!

Auditioning
Real Name
David
John,
I just looked at that and I only see 1 sub out. With 2 subs and a stereo sub amp I think I need 2 sub outs. I don't think my amp will let me bridge. I would assume I can just Y cord out of a 1 sub out processor and go into 2 inputs on my sub amp?
Having never heard of Emotiva I would like to stick with a bigger name company, although for all I know Emotiva may be an industry leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks