1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by GMpasqua, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OliverK

OliverK Well-Known Member

I doubt they are all ready for release and I cannot imagine even one of these titles going to Twilight Time with the current arrangement of 3000 copies.

2. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    That's exactly the remarks being made about OLIVER! going to Twilight. In these days anything is possible. You don't think a year and half is long enough to to have finished transfers for a Blu-ray release of the four titles (five films). I am not including the 60's State Fair, if it is included I doubt it would be HD, just as the Roadshow version of South Pacific was not HD on the Blu.

3. OliverK

While I still think Fox will release these titles you are right that we never know how the studios tick these days. Certainly not too many would have expected Philadelphia and As Good as it Gets as Twilight releases!

4. Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt Well-Known Member

The 70mm Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! was shot at 30 frames per second. I would hope that this is what we will get to see on a forthcoming Blu-ray release. After all this time (it was shot in the mid 50's) there still hasn't been an acceptable version of this movie available to us on any home video format.

5. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    In my opinion the Todd-AO version on the Laserdisc is still the best. I can not understand how they screwed up on DVD transfer. I held on to the laserdisc due to that horrible transfer. It is my hope that both versions are on the Blu-ray. Both are very different.

Matt Hough likes this.
  6. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    A source in the know told me that after seeing the spectacular transfer of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines", Fox decided that Twilight Time would not be getting any more Todd AO titles. I would think it's safe to say that they will not be getting any of the R&H titles with the possible exception of the 1962 State Fair. The R&H titles have always been standard offerings at places such as Costco and there's absolutely no reason to suspect that BluRay releases on the remaining titles would be any different.

I can only hope and expect that Fox is taking the time to do these titles the full justice they deserve on BluRay and they will come out when they are ready.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The laserdisc of the Todd-AO version was definitely spectacular, and I lost count of how many times I watched it. The DVD of it was completely UNWATCHABLE.

8. ajabrams

ajabrams Well-Known Member

Alan Abrams
    I sincerely hope that, perhaps through the influence of the R&H Office, FLOWER DRUM SONG gets included in a BD release as well.

MatthewA and Rob_Ray like this.
  9. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    While a good musical on stage, I always thought the film version of CAROUSEL to be bland and lifeless. I always remember seeing it here in LA at the County Museum Of Art and during a particularly uninspired dance number, my friend turning to me and whispering, "Doesn't this look like something you would see at Knotts Berry Farm?"

Will Krupp likes this.
  10. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Well-Known Member

Anthony
    Yes, Carousel is a true curate's egg .. but the good parts are still very delectable. I think Shirley Jones's farewell to her lover 'What's the Use of Wondering' is still very moving, and 'If I Loved You' and the extended closure still affect me in a very sooky blubby way. No wonder my wife refuses to watch this with me! Mind you, 'South Pacific' is another musical I can only watch while she's away. She's fine with 'Oklahoma!' though......
    And don't get her on the subject of 'Bugsy Malone'!
    I guess musicals are very personal items indeed. Fortunately we both love Fred and Ginger.

11. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Well-Known Member

The restoration efforts may have uncovered new material that needed to be restored for inclusion on the release. I do hope that we get original 6-track audio for The King & I and Carousel. Also, the print of the TODD-AO version of Oklahoma! used on the DVD had deteriorated severely. Perhaps Fox is returning to the negative (which is undoubtedly in poor condition) or trying to hunt down a TODD-AO print in circulation. I know of one that occasionally is screened at various festivals.

12. AnthonyClarke

Anthony
    I find it astonishing that the print used for the initial DVD presentation of the Todd-AO version could have deteriorated between then and now. Surely many lessons had been learnt by then about preservation of important material like this. How could significant deterioration have occurred in such a short time-span? This sound like virtual criminal neglect! We're used to horror-tales about how valuable negs and prints were handled in the 30s through to the 80s ... but how could this still be happening?
    Then again, the fact that the wonderful transfer of 'My Fair Lady' to DVD could not be repeated for Blu ray shows how bad things still are in preservation-land .. though Robert Harris, I believe, blames this more on sloppy transfer procedure than on actual issues with film material.

13. OliverK

Prints made on earlier Eastman stock fade as do the negatives of all the movies mentioned. Fading can only be slowed down with proper storage, not prevented.

14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the last Todd-AO DVD transfer of Oklahoma! but fading wasn't as much a problem as a blurry picture and completely brownish color timing, neither of which was present in the laserdisc or earlier non-anamorphic DVD release.

It was almost as if Fox decided that they wanted the Cinemascope transfer to be the go-to version of the movie and relegated the Todd-AO version to also-ran status by doing a poor job with its transfer. The CInemascope transfer was bright and colorful, but I've always found it inferior to the Todd-AO in photography and performance. But we're forced to watch it because the Todd-AO as it now stands is completely unwatchable.

Robin9 likes this.
  15. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Actually, the problem with the My Fair Lady Blu-ray was that they used the old transfer in the first place.

16. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    The six tracks on the 70mm print were five for the front and one for surround. So, the most they can do is three front from the five and I guess split the one surround track.

17. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Promising news?

I have been informed that the Todd-AO 30 frames per second Road Show version of "OKLAHOMA!" is presently being fully restored by 20th Century Fox.

Could a Blu-ray be creeping closer? 2014 maybe?

MatthewA, JoHud and Reed Grele like this.
  18. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

Still waiting for DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR!

19. AnthonyClarke

Anthony
    Great news about the possible resotration of the Todd-AO version of 'Oklahoma!'
    I remember how disappointed I was with the flawed transfer in the latest DVD edition .. even the previous non-anamophic transfer looked better on my projector screen.

Will Krupp likes this.
  20. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The present European & Australian Blu-rays of "Doctor Dolittle" leave a lot to be desired.
    Image quality is a real disappointment with washed-out colours and a generally ugly, brownish looking image.
    There is no Todd-AO credit indicating a probable 35mm source.

Here's hoping that any future US Blu-ray release of "Doctor Dolittle" comes from a newly restored 70mm source.