What's new

"Oklahoma!""Carousel" "The King and I" coming to UK (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Blu-ray .com is reporting FOX is releasing a Rodgers and Hammerstein Blu-ray Box set in the UK 6 films:

Oklahoma
Carousel
The King and I
State Fair (1945)

plus
[COLOR= #0000cd]South Pacific[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000cd]The Sound of Music[/COLOR]

56959d8e_33954_medium.jpeg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
You should also put "State Fair" in the title.
Looks nice, though I'm going to wait for both singles and a U.S. release, because R&H is at the top Fox's biggest back catalog properties.
Though I'm a bit worried that the U.S. big box collection of Sound of Music might be holding up the this sort of set's release here.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I, too, have had high hopes for these titles (especially an actual restoration of the Todd-AO Oklahoma!), but I hope we get singles stateside so I don't have to rebuy South Pacific and The Sound of Music.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Holding breath for both versions of Oklahoma! and the 1962 remake of State Fair will be included as they were on the DVD's. Really looking forward to a good transfer of the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! With this news and the upcoming Cleopatra, I have flipped-flopped back to a supporter of Fox. Now where is Hello Dolly! and Those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machines?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Carousel also had a second 1930s foreign language version included.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I know this won't make me popular, but i would like to see better sound onSound of Music.
I felt the sound was the big problem on the blu ray, with some of the high end gone from thesound, right from the beginning of the film, then getting worse as the film went on !!!
All you have todoislistento the musical numbers on the French audio track to hear the difference.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/316350/oklahoma-carousel-the-king-and-i-coming-to-uk#post_3872549
I know this won't make me popular, but i would like to see better sound onSound of Music.
I felt the sound was the big problem on the blu ray, with some of the high end gone from thesound, right from the beginning of the film, then getting worse as the film went on !!!
All you have todoislistento the musical numbers on the French audio track to hear the difference.
Heck no, it should not make you un-popular. I agree with you completely and looking at some of the past posts on the title, we are not alone. I just don't see a new transfer on this. In fact I don't see these really released as a collection, but as individual releases over here in the states. I could be surprised and that would be fine.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Necessity:
Some sort of restoration on the Todd-AO OKLAHOMA!
Desire:
A better sound track for THE SOUND OF MUSIC (I'm in 100% agreement with Joe Caps on this).
Wold be nice:
Include both the Fritz Lang and Frank Borzage film versions of LILIOM (CAROUSEL's source play)
Pipe dreaming:
Include the entire 13 episode run of ANNA AND THE KING (the sit-com based on THE KING AND I and its progenitors).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Fox DOES have the alternate foreign beginning for South Pacific.
this would be just transferring the opening reel. this used the broadway continuity.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/316350/oklahoma-carousel-the-king-and-i-coming-to-uk#post_3872701
Fox DOES have the alternate foreign beginning for South Pacific.
this would be just transferring the opening reel. this used the broadway continuity.
That would cause me to buy it again!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
4386b89e_CarouselOriginalopening.jpeg

20th Century Fox originally shot the outdoor scenes to "Carousel" in Maine. The evening footage wasn't as sharp and clear as the new CinemaScope 55 promised so those scenes were re-shot on a sound stage giving the film an uneven look

562dc4e4_195646carouselifcolor.jpeg

Sound stage footage

Other scenes were cut
cca61494_1956carousel46bed.jpeg

John Skoda

Second Unit
GMpasqua said:
20th Century Fox originally shot the outdoor scenes to "Carousel" in Maine. The evening  footage wasn't as sharp and clear as the new CinemaScope 55 promised so those scenes were re-shot on a sound stage giving the film an uneven look
I think another reason "If I Loved You" had to be reshot in California was because Gordon MacRae was rushed into the film (to replace Sinatra) while the company was on location in Maine. He can't even have had time to make any prerecordings, which would make shooting a musical number pretty tough.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Not so. gordon was hired to replace Sinatra immediately. gordon with Alfred newman and the Fox orchestra recorded all of his songs before going to the location in Maine.
In fact, one sectioin called for Julie to sing, but Shirley Jones was already in Maine, so Marni nixon sang one line as a temp track ( and I alays say two heads re better than one to figure it out), but Shirley never did redub the line. Most of the film was shot on location before the weather turned bad.
thats why the Soliloquoy was shot on Zuma beach in California. ( if you see a beach in a fox film, especially in the fifties, it is Zuma beach. that beach is seen in the Robe, Belived Infidel, Journey to the Center of the Earth, In Love and War, and on and on).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks