1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Okay, so what about the REAL Astroboy series?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Mark To

Mark To Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this remake is or why its being released. Kind of like if they put out the new Jetsons that were thrown together to add episodes to the syndication package and didn't put out the original. I loved Astroboy as a kid. If I'm not mistaken there's 104 episodes and none have come out on DVD.

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Well-Known Member

The last time I checked, the original series (from the 60's) is owned by RightStuf while the 80's series is owned by Manga. Some VHS tapes were released for both, but no DVD's have been made available. Both companies may not even have the rights anymore, I'm not sure.

As for the reason the new series is coming out... it's because Sony wants to release it. All three versions of Astro Boy are owned by different companies, so one coming out doesn't rely on the other.

3. Joe:C

Joe:C Well-Known Member

It looks like Anchor Bay will be releasing the original Astro Boy series. Their In The Future section has the following listed:

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

Great news, thanks for the update!

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
  6. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony. That MB link sparked brain cells in my head that haven't moved in over 30 years!! [​IMG]

GOD how I longed to find some "Oxy-gum" (not to mention, a mermaid girlfriend too). [​IMG]

C

7. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Well-Known Member

Tricked again. Well, if they keep working their way back, maybe they'll get to the original eventually.