What's new

Okay...question about Oppo vs Denon DVD player here... (1 Viewer)

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
Okay right now I have the Oppo Digital 970HD and my brother has the Denon 757 which seems to be about the same as the 1930CI...

I am playing my Oppo thru a Westinghouse 42" 42w2 1080p upscaled to 1080i and I have used the Avia disc to configure my settings...

My brother is playing his Denon 757 upscaled to 1080p thru his 46" XBR2...

My picture looks great...until I go over to his house and see his! LOL! I have hooked my Oppo up to the XBR2 and it seemed SLIGHTLY if ANY better than my Westinghouse...

Are the Denon players that good??? Or is his XBR2 that much stronger than my Westinghouse???

I am planning on the Oppo 981 when it does come out but should I expect it to look as good as the Denon? Or should I just get the Denon???

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
There are some differences between the players...

The Denon DVD-757 (essentially a DVD-1930CI) has a Faroudja DCDi video scalar (not sure what the Oppo is actually using), upscales to 1080p (as opposed to 1080i) over HDMI, but lacks the memory card readers the Oppo has (hardly a disadvantage). The Denon also doesn't support XVID- and DiVX-encoded discs. However, the Denon does have better DACs and overall, a better audio section.

Every Denon DVD player I've owned has been built well and extremely reliable, if that means anything to you. I can't vouch for the reliability of an Oppo player because I've never used or owned one.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
well I am asking really is specifically picture quality...is the Denon that much of a better player than the Oppo when it comes to picture quality???

Frost

Auditioning
Real Name
David Sherar
I can't vouch for the DENON, but I CAN tell you that the OPPO doesn't have any better pq than my upconverting Sony player - in fact, the pq is better with the Sony through the hdmi than that OPPO was. I have a Sammy 42 inch plasma and it definitely didn't work too well with the OPPO - I was told it was a result of the faroudja chip giving me far too much macroblocking.

No blocking of any kind with the Sony.

It might just be that the DENON is so much better, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks