What's new

Okay, my SVS isn't working. :( (1 Viewer)

Chris_Cur

Agent
I noticed no sound was coming out of my PB1-ISD, so I looked at the back of the sub and the power light was off. I e-mailed SVS, and Tom suggested replacing the fuse. Radio Shack was closed by that point, but I picked up some new fuses this morning. With high hopes, I stuck the new fuse it, plugged the sub in, and hit the power switch: nothing. I pulled the fuse out, and it was blown. I tried a second and third fuse, and the same thing happened.

I am very, very upset right now. I love that subwoofer (probably a lot more than my neighbors), but I paid too much money for it to be a loss only 4 months after purchasing it, and the idea of trying to ship that behemoth in for service isn't appealing at all. :frowning:

Has anybody had a similar problem? Any ideas on how this sort of thing is normally resolved?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you e-mailed SVS again? If not, you should right away. Unfortunately I have not yet had the pleasure of dealing with SVS, but by all accounts they have some of the best customer service around. I'd shoot them an e-mail telling them what happened with the new fuses and I'm sure they'll make it right.

As for how it's normally resolved . . . if it's a replacable part they will likely send you the part and let you replace it if you're comfortable doing so. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever steps they take to fix it.

Josh Meier

Agent
It's not unheard of for SVS to ship out a replacement amp for the sub so that you don't have to ship the whole thing back in for service. Get back in touch with them... they will treat you right.

Chris_Cur

Agent
I did send a second e-mail. I'm just in that anxious stage where I'm freaking out, so even a reasonable reply time seems like it takes ages.

That sub is my second favorite part of my home theater, beat out only by my TV. The only reason my TV wins is because I can't watch movies without it, while I could go without a subwoofer if I needed to; I'm sick about it right now.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Don't panic, Chris. E-mail SVS tech support and give them a chance to further troubleshoot the problem.

The SV products are totally modular, and swapping out the amp (if that is the problem), literally takes minutes and nothing more than a Philips head screwdriver.

The parts department can have an amp at your doorstep in 2-3 days, max. SVS will even talk you through it on the phone, if needed. Your PB1-ISD will be up and running strong again in no time flat.

Chris_Cur

Agent
Okay, thanks a lot guys. I guess I need to go do something to distract myself until I hear back from them.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris,

I haven't received an email from you since my suggestion to try replacing the fuse.

Please email me at [email protected] and we will get this figured out immediately.

Tom V.
SVS

Chris_Cur

Agent
Sorry about that. I sent the e-mail to the right address, but I typed it in wrong here.

It hasn't been the best day, and I'm a little scatter-brained right now.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Do we need to start a 10 step program for bass-aholics? Take a deep breath.... Now another....

Don't worry, be happy.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have had a new SVS in the house for a week now. I hurried the purchase because the locals here were beginning to grumble (daily) about the lack of LF in the system.
I hate to think how they would react if in future the SVS goes MIA after having raised their bass-augmentation quality-bar to a whole new level in our HT.

The difference between the old sub to the SVS is similar to playing Cannon in D on a Fisher Price pink piano Vs a Steinway.

You make me nervous, I can see the grief I will be subjected to if I lose this one. :)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
We have tech support guys from SVS ON this forum. Wow. what other people do we have here.

Chris. Do what I say

Inhale
Exhale
Inhale
Exhale

Go lay down on your couch, listen to some music and drink plenty of fluids. Your problems will soon be solved. ;)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
While you are waiting, take a look at the plug the SVS is using. First, turn off the breaker to the plug, and then unscrew the cover. If you see any black marks on the plug, replace it. A replacement plug is less than 2 dollars.
This is only a stop-gap measure meant to keep you busy. Let us know how the works out.

Chris_Cur

Agent
They helped me diagnose the problem as the Amp, and they're sending a new one out Monday. Now if I can just install it without botching the operation, I'll be set.

A big thanks to SVS for their service. I'll report back next week when the repair is (hopefully) completed. Until then, I'll just set my tower speakers to large and suffer the difference.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Peter,

Sleep Very Seldom.

Chris,

Last time I did it as a test I replaced an amp with a $15 Black and Decker powered screwdriver in about 3 minutes flat. It's easy, WAY easy.

Amps can go, don't worry, we'll have a new one off to you very quick as noted. You'll certainly be up in just a few days. You are fully warranted, it wouldn't matter if this happend a couple years down the road in fact.

And while failures are rare, having to send the sub back for repair is even MORE rare. As indicated above, we took lots of time to ensure a sub could be totally rebuilt with common hand tools in a matter of minutes. 99% of the time a simple part swap "in the field" is all it takes to be back to 100%.

How you felt when this happened is perfectly understandable, but when something like an amp goes bye bye (our Candian-built BASH units are at least as robust as any in the industry, but no amp is indestructable), you find out that performance is only part of the package as far as SVS is concerned. Service is at least as important.

Ron Stimpson

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Having the two owners on this forum solving Chris' problem and answering e-mails this quick is truely awsome. I am an SVS owner (25-31PCi), have been very satisfied so far and feel better about it every day. Thanks to Ron and Tom and now I think I need to go buy a coffee mug, wall plaque and subhuman shirt lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks