What's new

OK, show of hands: Who wants Popeye (1980) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Count me in. I love this movie. I can't help but watch it everytime it springs up on cable. I agree: it's an extremely underrated comic adaptation.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Very good point, Patrick. I'm ashamed for not mentioning it earlier! I recognize this "trend" of 'family flicks' being released in P & S only, but I simply cannot imagine them MARring up this one! Even people who've seen Popeye and really dislike it would probably have to concede that the film has a unique, distinctive and very colorful set design. To crop this movie would be unforgivable.
I'm willing to compromise, and allow the optional Fullscreen presentation to be included if Paramount deems it necessary! :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Since my wife's uncle directed it and my wife's second cousin starred in it, you can put us down for a copy on DVD! :)
Mark

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I've always had a soft sport in my heart for this film. Robin Williams is beyond reproach as Popeye, played it perfectly, shelly Duval is brilliant as Olive Oyl. The whole look and feel of the film is so authentic to the comics and cartoon. I'd definitely pick this one up, I'd absolutely love to see it widescreen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Director Robert Altman "discovered" Duvall in Houston where he was shooting Brewster McCloud (1970) and gave her a small role as an Astrodome tour guide. She worked with him again in McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) and in a costarring role in Thieves Like Us (1974), where she caught critics' attention as the bride of escaped convict Keith Carradine and demonstrated her appealing, goofy, airy naturalness. She appeared in a 1975 PBS adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," and returned to character parts for Altman in Nashville (1975) and Buffalo Bill and the Indians (1976), also appearing fleetingly in Annie Hall (1977) as one of Woody Allen's dates.
Altman's 3 Women (1977) gave Duvall her greatest role as a pathetic spa physiotherapist; the director encouraged her to invent much of her own dialogue, and the performance earned her a Best Actress Award at Cannes. Two more memorable roles followed-as the terrified wife in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and as Olive Oyl in Altman's Popeye (both 1980)-but since then, she has appeared only occasionally, in Time Bandits (1981), Roxanne (1987), and Suburban Commando (1991).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
After suffering through his painfully boring commentary on The Player, I wouldn't pay an extra quarter.
It ain't just The Player. I've heard his tracks for M*A*S*H and Nashville, and they were fairly terrible. I've not yet listened his commentary for Gosford Park, but based on his record, I'm not looking forward to it...

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
This is another one of those "count me in too" messages. ;)
Seriously though, I think I remember hearing somewhere that it was being considered for release next year. Sorry I can't remember where I came across this bit of info...

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Bring me "Popeye" soon. I can't wait any longer for this movie. I've always like most of Altman's movies, including "Brewster McCloud", which is my second favorite Altman film. "Popeye" is my third favorite film from Altman and I will buy it the instant it comes outs. AND IN OAR!!! No more MAR presentations. I can't stand it, especially the fact that the credits at the beginning and the end are squeezed together. In fact, I believe this film has never been released in widescreen in the US. Can someone clarify that for me?

Anyway, once "Popeye" comes out, I will buy it, no matter what the price. This is one of my all-time favorite movies and I am sick of waiting for it to come out on DVD. BRING IT ON NOW PARAMOUNT!!!

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
One of my top ten most wanted titles on DVD. It's....LARGE!

I agree the time has come...bring it on. Please.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
While I don't have a burning desire to own this myself, I would buy it as a gift to my dad, who really enjoys it. And I agree that it must be OAR.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Heck yes, bring on the Popeye DVD! Everytime I've caught it (never in its entirety, mind you), it's been on some TV channel with horrible video quality. I'd love to see the movie on DVD, in OAR and looking respectable. Color me interested!

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Oh yeah, I'm there. If this is successful, maybe I'll one day be able to purchase Popeye cartoons on DVD!

IyamwhatIyamwhatIyamwhatIyamwhatIyamwhatIyamwhatIy amwhatIam

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I never knew Swee'Pea was Altman's grandson! Neat trivia nugget.

And thanks for that link, Mark! Cool site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks