What's new

Ok, maybe I should go with separates. (1 Viewer)

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
I have been doing a lot of "searching", and I can't seem to find a DVD player with SACD/DVDA for around 600-700 dollars, that has great video quality. From all of the reviews, the universal players seem to have great audio features, but usually not that great in the video section. I think I have decided on the Denon 1600 for the DVD video and DVD audio, and then in the future purchase a separate SACD player. In the end, I will probably spend more than the 600 - 700 range, but I don't have that now.

Anybody else go the "separates" route?

Kimo B.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you get the Denon 1600, you might be able to pair it w/ a Sony C222ES SACD changer and stay close to $700. I don't know the details, but seems like it's possible to get both for $350-400 each. Another alternative for SACD is the Philips 963sa DVD/SACD player at ~$400.

I'm thinking of going separates also although I'm settling for the Panny RP91 since I need aspect ratio scaling. Am thinking of pairing it w/ either Philips 963sa or the Sony changer unless something else comes along in the near future. But in my case, I will likely stick to hi-rez stereo playback since I don't want to nor feel a great need to upgrade 80% of my sound system.

_Man_

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking about the 222ES for the SACD. My only concern with going separates is the cost of cables (even from bluejeanscable.com). I guess I have to figure out what I am going to do...

Kimo B.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
I have looked at the 2900, but I wanted to keep the cost around 700. When I origianlly started looking, I wanted to keep it around 500, (I gotta stop raising my limit sometime :)... I have read many reviews on universal players (not including the 2900) that seems to have good audio, but not always good video. The primary purpose for this unit is going to be for DVD video, everything else is extra.

Kimo B.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Separate players works great, but you need some way to manage two different 6 channel sources with your receiver or preamp. That can be a pain in the butt, and can cause a cable disaster the likes of which haven't been seen outside a Spaghetti Factory.

Works great in my house, I have three 5.1 sources that I switch between.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Philip,

I was worried about that, but I also plan on getting the Sony DA4ES reciever, which has 2 sets of digital inputs.

Does anybody know if the Denon 1600 has gold plated rca plugs?

Kimo B.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have looked at the 2900, but I wanted to keep the cost around 700. When I origianlly started looking, I wanted to keep it around 500, (I gotta stop raising my limit sometime ... I have read many reviews on universal players (not including the 2900) that seems to have good audio, but not always good video. The primary purpose for this unit is going to be for DVD video, everything else is extra.
Ha ha. That was almost exactly my situation as well. :D I started out wanting to stay around $400-500 primarily for DVD-V and was hoping the Philips 963sa would be IT for me, especially since SACD is preferable to me. Then, after doing my taxes, I decided I was willing to splurge some and considered the 2900 (at ~$900), but it has everything except letterbox scaling, which is a must-have for me. So now, I'm leaning back toward adding the Philips on top of the Panny RP91 I just got for $700 total.

_Man_

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think I have decided. I think I will just go with the 2900. I did all of the numbers, and I might save 50 - 60 bucks going with individual components, but might not be as good as the 2900. Now hopefully there will be a super super sale in a month when I buy it :)

Thx for all of you input..

Kimo B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks