What's new

Ok, I am going to get a new PC, help me determine if I made a wise choice (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Ok guys this is it.

been considering a new PC. decided if I go for a new one might as well be HTPC.

After a few weeks of harrassing you guys for help I don't think I will get an HTPC I will be happy with for under $1000. I deciced to get a new PC where I will prioritize decent speed, ability to burn DVDs and more importantly future upgradability.

So last advice which system should I get from these that I can later add a video card with TV out etc to later turn into an HTPC.

I was almost sold on this system:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...07&newdeptid=1

this is in Canadian $. describes the Athlon 3200+ as 2.0 Ghz Processor. is that true?

here are the others available:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...=1&catid=10607

so is this the way to go or should I avoid these pre-packaged Cicero systems?

anyone know the quality of the Cicero 19" monitor? (sold separately of course :D )

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't know Rolando, on the one hand the price isn't bad, but I have concerns about the PC. Having only one drive and PCI slot is limiting. And if there's only 1 drive bay it means they are either giving you two 80G HDs to reach that 160G, or they taken up that space with other electronics; which would imply poor design. One available PCI slot isn't very much; and is not typical. Since you specifically call out future upgradability you should inquire further.

Also, how much do know about the company? That would be a big driver for me. I wasn't very impressed with the photo quality when I ask for a larger picture (trivial maybe, but things like that bother me).

The video card is fairly dated. And I don't like on-board anything;having the sound go throught the CPU isn't ideal for either gaming or HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks