What's new

Oh, the frustration of trying to find SACDs and DVD-Audio discs in stores. (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
if your looking for a certain SACD in best buy....be sure to check the normal CD section too. for some reason the SACDs are usually shipped with the regular cds and they are often misplaced.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I can't complain with today's trip to BB. Lookee what I found:

NP: Bartok, Boulez conducting, Concerto for Orchestra / Miraculous Mandarin, SACD

Finally, finally some Bartok in my collection!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I picked up Aerosmith SACD at the Best Buy in Lawrenceville (West Windsor, Princeton, whatever) Friday night. It was in the SACD section and was the only copy on the shelf. The only SACD I saw in the CD section there was a copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm so glad i quit that job! i'm also glad i bought all the stuff i wanted before i left. :D
maybe i'll work at rock dreams next summer. they're on 33 and carry a lot of hard to find music as well as some nice mid-fi audio equipment.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Rock Dreams is a cool store. My fiancee lives about ten minutes from the store, so I get over there every so often. If you get a job there, let me know. Perhaps we'll meet and talk about music there.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Jason, I picked up Aerosmith SACD at the Best Buy in Lawrenceville (West Windsor, Princeton, whatever) Friday night.
HAH Keith ;) - you beat me out by a day!!! LOL I went into WW Best Buy saturday night and took a gander at the SACD rack to see if there was anything good...CD World also did not have much selection by way of SACD....
Let me know when your next trip into Lawrenceville, WW, Princeton will be...I am now in my new home there...
Eric.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I love music, but I don't consider myself an audiophile, believe it or not.
Keith,
Is being audiophile a bad thing?
While some are neurotic or focus too much energy on equipment, I think many are very good professional type folk.
I think in a large sense you are an audiophile because you love music and are seeking through Super Audio and DVD Audio (is that format still alive? ;)) for something close to the original performance. And you have some very high quality equipment...
It's time to come out of the audio closet. :D
Of course, you may develop a taste for pricey cable...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee:

Is DVD-Audio still alive? I don't know. I just got an advance copy of REM's "Reveal".

Are they real, or are they just a dream (pun intended).

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,
That's great news. Unfortunately I hate the music of recent REM. I think they have lost it.
They were great in the early 90s but Stipes just gotten too weird and the music does not have any passion in it anymore. I have been a fan for a while and used to go to frat parties at UVA and see them play. My family lives close to Athens where they are from and they used to drop in and preview new material. Usually around the time of UGA's graduation.
Maybe I'll get excited about the Steely Dan and Donald Fagen releases...
:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big REM fan myself, but from a recording standpoint they did a very nice job of getting Stipe's voice to sound natural and unprocessed.

So unusual in a pop recording, in these days of pitch correction and other assorted hacks.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, is this the New Favorite SACD? I still haven't picked it up (can't find it at a store :angry:), but I am all set to order it from J&R Music World. They have it online for a mere $14.99. :)
Speaking of Steely Dan, are we ever going to see Gaucho on SACD or was that just B.S.?

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Being new to the DVD-A/SACD game, I was shocked to find exactly what you described in the original post of this thread, Keith. I literally went to 5 different stores to find a total of 4 titles. DVD-A seems a bit better represented locally for me than SACD. Both are in the "pitiful" category, though.
Looks like it's online shopping for me, which is frustrating enough as well. Phil, you really nailed it with some merchants having only some of what you want. Grrr.
On the brighter side, I'll be looking forward to your review of the Aerosmith set, Keith. I've been a fan of theirs from the beginning. In fact, I own a copy of Rocks on LP, cassette, and CD. Am debating wether to pick up the SACD copy or the "hits" 2 CD set. My favorite songs from Rocks are on it, as well as a lot of others I like. It's not a get-both no-brainer, these things are expensive! Would be kind of cool to have the same title on 4 different media types, though :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, ironically, shortly after I started this thread, Best Buy began getting in new Sony SACD titles. Examples include the Aerosmith set, Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills, Miles Davis In A Silent Way, James Taylor JT, Bruce Springsteen Live in New York City, Joe Satriani Strange Beautiful Music, Earth, Wind & Fire Alive in '75, Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell multi-channel, and Billie Holiday Lady in Satin multi-channel. The problem is that as with older titles, once Best Buy has sold out of these new titles, they have not restocked them. In general, I have seen Best Buy stores get in just two copies of each new titles. So, you have to be quick to get the new titles before they are gone because they won't come back. It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. :angry:
Since you live in New Jersey, you should check Compact Disc World and Tower Records for SACDs, if you haven't already. Also, check the Virgin Megastore at Times Square and some Tower Records stores in The City. I was at the Virgin Megastore on Friday, and their selection of SACDs was quite good. In fact, I picked up the two-disc import The Best of Simple Minds SACD there. I had never seen it in a store previously. That's a tough find. Also, Tower Records stores, whether in New Jersey or The City, have a good selection of SACDs.
I love the Aerosmith SACD set. It is a great compilation, and the sound quality is very good. Now, I do not have this compilation on CD yet, so I have only been able to compare the sound to the remastered version of Greatest Hits, and the SACD is much, much better. Still, I hope to get the two-disc compilation on CD for comparison.

TomCW

Second Unit
Keith,
I don't envy you living on the east coast, but I do envy your local SACD shopping options. Mine are, let's see, uh, Best Buy or ah, Best Buy. Other than that it's mail order and wait!
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom, well, to be honest, I don't live in New Jersey or New York City. I moved from New Jersey to Delaware in April 2001. Delaware is obviously different than Montana, but it is also quite a bit different than New Jersey or New York City (much different than New York City). While I like New Jersey and New York City, I greatly prefer living in Delaware. :)

TomCW

Second Unit
Keith, Are ya braggin' or complainin'?:D
Tom
P.S. You NEED to get New Favorite on SACD!
Tom

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Am debating wether to pick up the SACD copy or the "hits" 2 CD set.
If you are referring to an SACD of Rocks, there is none. There was one planned or rumoured, but that never happened.

NP: Cincinatti Pops / Kings Singers, Perform Music of the Beatles, SACD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks