What's new

Oh my goodness...I'm getting an SVS!! (1 Viewer)

For $6,000 you could almost buy 2 SVS B4 Plus which would almost surely beat the "Holy Grail" of subwoofers. Dollar for Dollar SVS are hard to beat.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Don't limit yourself to SVS and follow the pack mentality on here. There are better subs"

Nick,

What better subs? Come 'on, buddy...name some models and who makes 'em. Am all ears, so go ahead and enlighten me already!... :wink:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Dwayne-S

Agent
Frank,

I agree. Better at what cost? As I stated in another thread the Genelec HTS6 faired well in one reviewers evaluation, but at a cost of 10 grand for a single unit. For that I could buy 6 PB2+'s and achieve deafening results. There is always a bigger fish, but on a dollar per decibel scale at 20 Hz, SVS is a very big fish indeed.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Some of these companies are claiming crazy output and the price of the product is just plain insane. $6000 for a sub that does 16hz at 128DB. I've seen worse that claim high output but are only a simple sealed 15 inch woofer that retail around $4000. Were the in room measurements done in a car? My one sealed tempest in car measured 130 DB. While my 2 Brahma's with 3k watts push 155db.

You can build a 4 Tumult system running off of 4 K1's for around that price an easily put your HT room into loudest ever. Put each one in a 5 cubic feet and tune to 18 Hz with 35 square inches of vent (say, 17.5" by 2") 51" long. Space isn't an issue here (nor the chimneys sticking out of the boxes) in this comparison ;) You do this and you will have to purchase earthquake insurance...not joking here.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
John because someone may disagree with the religion of SVS or your opinion thereof certainly does not make them a troll.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
It was not an attack it was a reflection the words he wrote. Big difference. Anyway enjoy your SVS and I'll enjoy what I prefer. Prett easy concept John.

Ad hom attacks tend to be frowned upon on most good message boards and understandably so. An example of an Ad Hom would be Member X is an idiot. Saying member X is acting like an idiot would not be an Ad Hom. The prudent forum poster avoids both examples though and aren't we both rather prudent people?

RajeeK

Second Unit
Nicholas R,

I am pulling this quote directly from you on the thread you refereced above.

You certainly have a right to hate SVS subs and I certainly respect your opinion. But to pop your head up in the SVS threads, persistantly spewing hatred is not necessary. Ever heard "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Constructive advise and opinion is certainly welcomed, but simple thread craps like you post are really not necessary. Maybe you should keep your hatred to yourself, or at least help the original poster with useful advice.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Rajeek I wrote this.Don't limit yourself to SVS and follow the pack mentality on here. There are better subs.

Truly infused with hatred and vitriole isn't it?:D :D :D

You SVSers are a funny group I'll give you that.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
CORRECTION

Stating 128 dB at 16 hZ was my mistake. Jm Lab states 128 dB within the lowest part of the spectrum.

Please accept my apologies, I did not mean to start a war.:frowning:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robert... you did not start a war... that was started by someone else. As far as the 128 dB claim... that was irresponsible on the part of JM Labs....

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay, I'm hoping I didn't step on any toes here! I'm just VERY excited about my first serious audio system upgrade. For those that have suggested I look at other subs first -- the first thing I do is audition everything I'm planning on buying before I buy. However, word of mouth is a powerful medium and I do take in stock all sides (including the negatives) of an issue before I buy if there isn't a chance to demo the product in a store (as in this case).

I'm fully well aware of the different sound of SVS subs and that they're tight, musical, and powerful as opposed to punchy and boomy. For me, I'd rather have powerful, accurate, bass that doesn't bottom out instead of boomy, punchy, inaccurate bass that bottoms out at the lowest frequencies of DVDs and music. Of coures, I won't know anything about how it sounds until I get it into my own room and see how well it performs in my home theater.

SVS comes with a 45-day money back guarantee if I don't like it. So what have I got to lose?

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

You see no they are not. The mass hysteria surrounding them and people needing to validate their purchases propagates this myth.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Nicholas R wrote:

How would you describe the sound of an SVS? Keep in mind I haven't bought the sub yet, and if I am in any way displeased with their product I have no doubt that I'll return it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As opposed to the blind A/B testing and measured specifications from reputable reviewers that says the opposite. How many blind tests on SVS subs have you performed again, Nicholas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks