What's new

Official XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I was able to pick one up a few days ago and for 200 bucks, well worth it. I wish to start adding HD-DVDs to my library as opposed to buying their standard counterparts without having to buy a high end first generation player and this add-on allows me to do so. As a rule, I don't buy high end until third or fourth generation as that is usually when the technology is more or less stabilized.

As for the quality of the picture and sound, based on the King Kong included, I found the picture top notch. The jury is out on the sound however, surround matrix was full as I recall. I will be adding Batman Begins to my HD library and will give it a careful comparison with its standard counterpart when I return from this business trip.

If you are like me and want something to watch HD before a major investment in the technology, this is the way to go. Big thumbs up.

DarthBeavis

Agent
Real Name
Richard Surroz
No, while they are out in the cold and rain waiting, we are at home with their girlfriends watching HD movies ;)
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

MS has some kind of bug in the programming - a small one at least. When you pause an HD-DVD, it keeps the disc spinning for awhile for quick resume, but after a certain amount of time, it spins the disc down and goes to a screensaver (for King Kong, it's a slowly moving Universal logo). With the XBox 360 HD-DVD drive, there's a quick second of audio and video right before it makes the transition from paused screen to screensaver - as if the system is displaying the rest of what's already in its memory before going to screensaver. Not a big deal, but it is quite jarring when you aren't expecting it - certainly when you paused in the middle of a loud sequence.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Thats not a bug almost all of the Universal titles have the built in screensaver on the HD DVD disc.

Oh no, I understand that the screensaver is a feature. I meant the extra second of audio and video right before the screensaver switch is a bug - I somehow doubt that is intentional.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Here is an example of game consoles actually sublimating our need/desire for a dedicated HD optical player. We've always had dedicated players for each format we own, but since Blu ray is at $1,000.000 for entry, and HD around $500.00 US, we will get a game console to limp us along until the inevitable price drops of the hardware ( and hopefully software ).

My wife and I want to play the new Marve Ultimate Alliance game that seems to be across all platforms. I see it advertised for Wii, X-box 360, and the PS3. All promise HD output of some variety.

Since we just got the Sony KDS-R60XBR2 , we think upgrading to a newer game console is the order of the day. Our older game consoles will still be fine for what they do, but we may as well embrace the high def thing :laugh:

So, even though our Pioneer Elite DVD player upconvert nicely to 1080i, I'd like to take the step up to HD optical disc. HD Comcast looks OK, but I'd like to see some HD with out compression being so noticeable. Besides, We want HD optical discs to succeed, and are just hoping the software and hardware will get cheaper like DVD players did. ( I still have our Sony 7000 player from day one of the DVD world opening up. It cost a grand and is nearly useless now,.but I digress..... )

The X box 360 seems to be the console to get because it had the HD DVD add-on, is available, and has the game we want.

The Wii, has no HD optical disc option, so if we want it for anything besides gaming, we are out of luck.

The PS3, well, the cost of the unit is around the same as the X box 360 with the add-on HD player, it has the Blu Ray going for it, but I fear the wait will be 'till next year.........

So for an easy entry into the HD optical world, it seems the X box 360 is the way to go.
I'm still hoping for a combo HD/Blu Ray player, which looks to be on the path to reality as the chip was announced as being created/available this week.

A question on hookup.
So when we get the X box 360 and HD add on, should we hook it up via component, so as to let the New Sony do the upconversion to 1080p? Or is the HDMI output the way to go? Just curious.

Mike.P

Second Unit

There is no output of HDMI for the 360, currently, and there are no plans for it in the near future, at least.

There are also issues currently with the Sony sets and the 360s 1080p signal, so buyer beware.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

Thanks for the head's up. I just checked here and now understand the x box can connect via component or VGA.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...defdetails.htm
Since the Sony has both, I guess I will try both.

I also read that the x box needs the newest firmware to be able to work with 1080p. Does anyone know more about this? I think this is the Sony 1080p issue of which you speak. If there are other issues, if someone can post them or a link to them , it would be appreciated..

I waited a year to get the Sony LCOS set that takes a 1080p input, so I may as well mate it up with something that can provide 1080p output.
Speaking of this, are most of the free standing HD DVD players outputting 1080i or 1080p. I seem to read that 1080i is often the HD DVD output. Perhaps I'm confused.

I did set up a Samsung Blu ray at the local HT shop, and liked the result through the latest 50" Pioneer 1080p plasma set. But then found some of the Samsung shortcomings and have been on hold with HD optical ever since..

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i didn't expect this to be the case, but i like having the HDDVD drive seperate - i can leave the games in the main drive and don't need to switch back and forth!

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Dave H,

From all that I've read from MS there are no plans to have HD-DVD based games which is a blessing because SD DVD units load faster than the BD / HD-DVD drives.

ed

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

Thanks. I thought for some reason wii would output 720p.:confused:
I guess it's x box 360 time, unless somehow a PS 3 can be had at retail, not the stupid inflated prices a lot of the buyers I know are reselling them for. One guy I know has got a $1,500.00 confirmed buyer for his, and he has prepurchased two for this resale scheme!:eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I guess these console releases make for a new frontier for entrepreneurs who quickly learn the supply and demand game. Or it just greed and gouging?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

There is a firmware update obtained via Xbox Live. Not sure if the installation disk that comes with the drive also has this but it might.

I have a Sony XBR800 that displays 720P which it upconverts to 1080i. It plays the 1080P just fine and looks great (For Xmas, I will be upgrading the set to a large one (60 or 70") with native 1080p). So you should not have problems with Sony. If you do you just return it (or get a new TV).

Brent T

Second Unit

I couldnt agree more. I cant believe how lazy I have become. My 360 is about 12 feet away from my couch and the greatest joy is plopping down on the couch, hitting the remote and playing GOW with out having to bend down at my tv and turn on the 360. But wait... it gets better, my wife comes down and I switch it to the HD-DVD drive and we watch a few episodes of Smallville.

Distance traveled 0 feet ! Pure laziness at its best, thank you XBox 360 !

Brent T

Second Unit

LOL fantastic ! You my friend are brilliant. I never thought of having the wife watch Smallville in our bedroom. She is a drooler too...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Greed and Gouging? Naw. That would be held out for the people that profitier from disaster victims, not game console buyers. As WC Fields said, there's a sucker born every day.

If you want some one to curse for the inflated ebay prices, curse the buyers. If not for them, there would be no inflated prices. The old adage applies here, 'A fool and his money are soon parted'.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks