What's new

*** Official *** XBox 360 Hardware DISCUSSION Thread (1 Viewer)

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
Just an FYI for those of you still looking for a console. Target will have the XBOX 360 listed in their ad this coming Sunday (April 2nd). Large quantities of units will be shipping this week and most will be held for this upcoming ad. So get there early Sunday if you still need a console.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Costco had a ton yesterday, about 20+ units. $489.99 and includes a second wireless controller. Didn't seem like that great of a deal, other than getting one if you didn't have one.

I'm debating selling mine (now that I've missed my window - ha-ha) I think I've logged about 8 hours on it since 1/1/06. I just don't have the time with the kid, and another one due any time. We'll see, I'm thinking about giving the MLB 2K6 a shot and deciding from there.

Doug

EricW

Senior HTF Member
*** WOW ***

i just downloaded the hi-def Cars trailer on XBL. it looks NICE. so far i've been underwhelmed with the hi-def video material on my tv (it's only 36" 4:3), and while it does look better, the improvement is nowhere near the difference of standard-def gaming to hi-def gaming (which is amazing). but watching the cars trailer was jaw dropping.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I noticed that the Target in my area has 6 units for sale. They are the $399 versions. Does anyone know if a Linksys Wireless G USB will work with this to connect to my network or will it only work with the one that Microsoft sells to go with it?

Thanks,
Parker

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
If anyone here is gaming on a 31" tv or less, I applaud your efforts. I just downloaded the G.R.A.W. demo and I can't see anything. As I've posted before, my lamp went out on my 4805 and the new lamp has been backordered. It has been 3 weeks now and I MAY get it next week sometime. At first I was ok with it. I figured that it was my fault for not having a spare lamp. However, I should have only been inconvenienced for a week tops. One month is ridiculous and my next upgrade in about 6 weeks will not be another Infocus. (This is only one factor, of course.) One thing I can take from all of this, is to have a spare lamp this time around.

The point of this rant is, I have absolutely zero motivation to watch a movie, or play anything besides an arcade game right now. The small screen sucks for viewing for me. I can't stand it and am pulling my hair out, one strand at a time. In Burnout, I can't see the obstacles as well, so I keep on hitting everything. In G.R.A.W., I can't see anybody until I'm dead. I need the big screen to partly make up for my lack of reflexes, damnit!

So, for those of you who are able to play enjoyably on a smaller sized screen I applaud your skills, because they are much greater than mine. As is your patience!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'm playing on a 36" 4:3 (equivalent to a 34" 16:9) but at least it's in hi-def. standard def would be impossible. there's a sequence in Call of Duty where you have to spot artillery guys from way of in the distance and snipe them, and it's the hardest part of the game (the infamous Silo mission). i was stuck on that part for a loooong time, til i brought the 360 to a friend's place and put it on a 50". the sequence took me 10 minutes :P

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Nope, it's more of a 31"-32" 16:9.

I have a 34", it's a bit bigger than a 36" 4x3 in 16:9 mode. Very close to the 40" 4x3. Now if it's 480i 4x3 then the image is larger (Halo in 720p on 4x3 is banded on ALL sides in 4x3 HDTV, just like any programs in 4x3 on a 1080i HD channel). The only thing smaller than a 36" is 4x3 material. If you take your letterboxed image and measure from corner to corner you'll see it's lower than 34", as a matter of fact it's closer to the same picture area as the 30" 16x9 TVs.

So: Halo in 480i (4x3) on 4x3 TV: more image.
Halo in 720p (4x3) on 16x9 TV: more image.
Halo 2, 360 games, widescreen DVDs (16x9) on 16x9 TV: more image.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Parker to answer your question, YES, the xbox will work.

I took back my core and bought a Premium this past weekend and the harddrive was already used. I knew something was up because when I opened the box the xbox symbol on the hard drive had scratches on it. But what confirmed it was that the HDD had movies on it already.

I wouldn't dare take it back because there may not be another premium system there to change it for.

As long as it works correctly I could care less if someone returned it. I must say that this thing is awesome. Downloading games and trailers in HD is da sh!t !!!!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
LaMarcus, the shipments are coming more frequently now so there's a really good chance there'll be some to exchange. You can always call ahead. But, the wait is finally over.

On another note, my lamp should be here Wednesday! I can't wait. I can't wait! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm at about 1800 hrs, and starting to get nervous. :frowning: Let's say my lamp gives me 2200 hours. With 400hrs left, at about 4hrs per day, I have 3 months left. Scary.

I really don't want to spend $300 on a light bulb, sheesh. :rolleyes

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, unless you're going to upgrade anytime soon, you're going to spend the money anyway, right? I've cost you lots of $$$$ when you bought the Xbox 360, why not with a lamp too?:D :D Although, you may not have to wait a month like me. The new Infocus projectors use the same lamp, although in a different housing as my 4805 from what I hear. That's probably why they had a shortage. But, who knows for sure. If I would have had a spare, I wouldn't have cared.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Just a nit:

There is no such thing as a "premium"

It's either the XBOX 360 or the XBOX 360 Core (as in stripped down).

I know a lot of ads refer to it as the Premium, but that is not what MS calls it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
and wholesalers call it the PRO.
Does it really matter?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Finally picked mine up Saturday morning. I absolutely love it. Fight Night and Ghost Recon are insane! :emoji_thumbsup:

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I thing fight night would be really fun if I knew how to play it. But for a gamer isn't this a great time to be alive, every game that comes out is better than the one prior to it. Did you guys down load the trailer for lost planet or what ever the hell it is. MY GAWD!!!! It's so damn pretty, this truly is next gen. Some one correct that name for me.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The name is Lost Planet. Capital "L", capital "P". Corrected! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm pretty sure it's being made my the same team that made Devil May Cry for Playstation. Great game.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Convince me to get an Xbox 360. I am ready. I have the serious pre-love for John Woo's "Stranglehold" that is coming out later this year (hopefully). I really want Ghost Recon. But then, I have this back collection of Xbox games that probably won't play (some will, some won't) and I have to see my old system before I can buy the new system. And I am at least a year away from getting an HD TV that would show the 360 in its fullest light. So, will the new systems still look good on a TV that is merely very nice but not HD? Will oldies like Halo 2 (that I would still play) look that much better? Will some of the new games like Call of Duty 2 and Ghost Recon AW look better and play better than, say, Brothers in Arms or Ghost Recon 2?

Have they worked out bugs with the new hardware (that cooking power brick thing still an issue?). Will using the system as a DVD player burn out the drive as it did with the older Xbox? Or will it work fine?

Thanks!

On-the-fence-Phil (and teetering)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks